Titanium Backup vs. Advanced Nandroid

rickt1152

Reaction score
I'm new to the whole Android scene. I have a rooted Droid running DM 1.0 and will be trying out some additional ROMs in the near future. Can anyone explain the benefits of a backup application like Titanium Backup over what I am able to do by booting into SPRecovery and doing an advanced Nandroid backup and/or restore. I don't mind spending a few bucks for something, just want to know if it provides a simpler or better backup.

Thanks

Reaction score
I use the free version of titanium backup to restore all of my apps, and nandroid to restore the state of my phone overall

Balthazar

Reaction score
If you flash a new ROM you will want to use Titanium backup to restore your apps. If you tried to do a nandroid restore it would put the previous ROM back on your phone. Unless maybe you just restore data, but I am not sure about that. I can confirm Titanium will save you alot of time, even with the free version.

OP
R

rickt1152

Reaction score
I use the free version of titanium backup to restore all of my apps, and nandroid to restore the state of my phone overall

So as far as the sequence goes, will I have to re-root my new Droid before I can do the nandroid restore, or does the restore process do that for me? I assumed I would have to root as I didn't think the Nandroid restore was available prior to Rooting the phone?

xMyStiCx

Reaction score
get the donate version of titanium backup. it lets you restore all your apps+data in ONE click. Its pretty useful if you're a flashaholic. Nandroid is used to restore entire images.. i.e. your whole system.

thetruth

Reaction score
get the donate version of titanium backup. it lets you restore all your apps+data in ONE click. Its pretty useful if you're a flashaholic. Nandroid is used to restore entire images.. i.e. your whole system.

I agree, I use the donate version of Titanium. It really is a must have app if you like switching ROMs as much as I do.

OP
R

rickt1152

Reaction score

Ok, but in the case where I am replacing one Droid with another, the Nandroid backup will give me the exact copy of my original Droid (as of the last backup), correct?

mikedav1

Reaction score

Ok, but in the case where I am replacing one Droid with another, the Nandroid backup will give me the exact copy of my original Droid (as of the last backup), correct?

That is correct. You would have to copy the file to a pc and then copy back to nandroid folder if you are replacing a phone.
Titanium backs up and restores apps and its' data (settings). Nandroid backup is a general full phone backup. The contribute version offers higher compression and ability to keep more than 1 backup to use.

OP
R

rickt1152

Reaction score

I agree, I use the donate version of Titanium. It really is a must have app if you like switching ROMs as much as I do.

Apparently I'm still missing something here, I have the donate version of Titanium Backup. Everytime I flash a new rom, the process does an automatic nandroid backup and then restores the applications and data from the backup (or so it seems). I have only gone back and forth between Sholes and DM so maybe that process is different, but still haven't found the need to use the Titanium Backup restore. Please explain.