Titanium Backup Help

hanielserrato

Reaction score
First time posting on a forum, so excuse me if I dont do it correctly.

Ok, so I got my DX about a month ago. As I read through forums I found out that there was no easy(at least to me) way to completly backup you phone. So I rooted and got Titanium backup to do just that. No I want to try to install some custome roms. So I did some research on installing custom roms, and read on a thread that some system files where not safe to backup and restore with other roms. So my question is.

1. What system files are safe to transfer from rom to rom.
2. If I dont want to install a app that is on my backup, can I exclude it when restoring apps on new rom.
3. This one is just out of the blue, when I went to Verizon, a rep. told me that one of my apps was "pulling internet". Is there a way to know what apps are accessing the internet without permision, and is there a way to know which app is using alot of your resources.

I hope I was clear on my questions and thanks to everyone in advance.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
First time posting on a forum, so excuse me if I dont do it correctly.

Ok, so I got my DX about a month ago. As I read through forums I found out that there was no easy(at least to me) way to completly backup you phone. So I rooted and got Titanium backup to do just that. No I want to try to install some custome roms. So I did some research on installing custom roms, and read on a thread that some system files where not safe to backup and restore with other roms. So my question is.

1. What system files are safe to transfer from rom to rom.

Most will transfer! Titanium "batch" will allow you to select what you wish to restore.
2. If I dont want to install a app that is on my backup, can I exclude it when restoring apps on new rom.

Yes! Titanium "batch" allows you to select what to restore.
3. This one is just out of the blue, when I went to Verizon, a rep. told me that one of my apps was "pulling internet". Is there a way to know what apps are accessing the internet without permision, and is there a way to know which app is using alot of your resources.

Not sure what "pulling" is but look at your manage app settings.

I hope I was clear on my questions and thanks to everyone in advance.

Here is a link http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ac...an-install-restore-using-titanium-backup.html to an excellent tutorial on Titanium.
Hope this is helpful.

Mike

OP
H

hanielserrato

Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you both. You guys pretty much answered my questions. The link was great. The only thing unanswered was the third question. The reason why I want to know if there is a way to see if an application is "pulling internet"(I think he refered to accessing internet) when it doesnt have to is to uninstall bad apps. Which bring me to my other question about apps that are using alot of resources. My phone has been slow, but Ive installed several apps in the past few days so I wouldnt want to uninstall and reinstall one by one again. Thanks for any help. I would like to stay away from task managers.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

harrellj

Reaction score
One thing you can try is getting thr app Watchdog. It'll alert you if an app uses all of your processing power.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

OP
H

hanielserrato

Reaction score
sorry for my ignorance. how can i tell if apps are using the gps. I read about an app that lets you know what each app is accessing but cant remember what the name of the app is.

One thing you can try is getting thr app Watchdog. It'll alert you if an app uses all of your processing power.

Will try watchdog