Tiny screens on LCD density < 240 in some apps

DMFA

Reaction score
Several of my apps - ROM Manager and WeatherBug are probably the two most people use, plus Skyscape Medical, Weather Channel, and a couple other ones - cease to use the full screen on LCD densities < 240. They are centered on the top row of pixels with blank black space taking up the rest of the screen.

I imagine the problem doesn't lie within the devs of the buildprop modifiers - in my case, I used JRummy's DX/2 overclock - and rather with how the display is coded in the individual apps. I guess there's not a way to fix this, unless there's some way to detect that most of the screen is out of use and it can all be re-scaled somehow...

I run my X on a LCD density of 190, and those apps take up barely more than half the screen. I love the higher resolution, and I can deal with the smaller screen, it's just annoying. Does anyone else have this issue or have any solutions or ways I can hack the apps?

fpatano

Reaction score
Several of my apps - ROM Manager and WeatherBug are probably the two most people use, plus Skyscape Medical, Weather Channel, and a couple other ones - cease to use the full screen on LCD densities < 240. They are centered on the top row of pixels with blank black space taking up the rest of the screen.

I imagine the problem doesn't lie within the devs of the buildprop modifiers - in my case, I used JRummy's DX/2 overclock - and rather with how the display is coded in the individual apps. I guess there's not a way to fix this, unless there's some way to detect that most of the screen is out of use and it can all be re-scaled somehow...

I run my X on a LCD density of 190, and those apps take up barely more than half the screen. I love the higher resolution, and I can deal with the smaller screen, it's just annoying. Does anyone else have this issue or have any solutions or ways I can hack the apps?

Download the Spare Parts app from the market, it has a setting for compatibility mode that scales the apps to resolution. After you have it downloaded, its not just as easy as setting it and rebooting, someone posted a tutorial video on how to do it with the Galaxy Tab, but essentially you need to set compatibility mode to checked, then reboot. Then uncheck compatibility mode and reboot. After that, open up one of the apps that had not scaled to the full resolution, I use engadget a lot for example and it had the problem, and the app should now scale to the full screen.

Also, just an FYI, some games might not look right with the changed resoluiton, I play RoboDefense and it looked a bit odd at 190. I realized that the changed resolution should be the same scale, and 80% of 240 is 192 so I changed the lcd density to 192 and it looks better. You might need Root Explorer to manually change that, or you can use ADB commands to pull and push the file on your computer and manually change the value in the build.prop file.

Cheers!

dancedroid

OP
DMFA

DMFA

Reaction score
Thanks so much! I've had Spare Parts on there forever and never really bothered finding out all it did.

My medical app Skyscape and TWC are 100% after turning off compatibility mode in Spare Parts. ROM Manager still has a small screen, and WeatherBug is missing some buttons and is misaligned but takes up the full screen now.

I really appreciate your help!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App