1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Tiered 4G data plans, according to VZW.

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Romple, May 27, 2010.

1. Romple

Romple Banned

Verizon to introduce tiered pricing for LTE - GSMA Mobile Business Briefing

Doesn't make sense to me, except from an evil business standpoint. Considering I use about 3 Gigs a month I'm not looking forward to this. Especially awesome since it costs less to transmit data over LTE than over a 3G network.

I just hope the tiers are along the lines of 0-5G, 5G-10G, 10G+ and not "$30/month for 100 Megs"... Seems like we're going backwards here. I'm having awful memories of paying by the minute on AOL...
  2. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

We'll see what the hammerheads do. Personally couldn't give a damned less if VZW did something this stupid. I would just go to T-Mobile or Sprint and arguably by that time AT&T will have improved to the point of me considering them again.
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Nothing is even said in that link about any kind of pricing/amount.....
  4. Ainvar

Ainvar New Member

heh VZW is an awesome network with hefty monthly fees. They will drive away a good chunk of their user base if they make this too $$$ which I am sure they will.

I use around 13-15 gigs a month on my droid but that is without doing any tethering. That is just streaming music and download data that I use and/or view on my phone.

They also already charge way too much for mobile broadband with the amount they give you. I mean 5 gigs is nothing in todays data heavy usage world that is comparing a DVD to a 3.5 floppy in you really think about it.

When I was down in Atlanta and the government agency I worked for I used about 20-25 gigs a month on my VZW card just for work.

I hope they really look at reality and not just $$$ when they do these tiered data plans, specially since they will be saving money using the LTE network.
  5. astevens54

astevens54 New Member

I agree. Verizon is expressive enough as it is. They will possibly push customers away. Me and my family as well, if they jack the prices up.
  6. JhankG

JhankG New Member

If Verizon does this, you better believe AT&T will as well.
  7. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Or, other companies can use this as a selling point for their own services at a lower cost to steal customers.
  8. gixxerboy

gixxerboy New Member

i think i may be switching over to sprint in the near future
  9. JhankG

JhankG New Member

AT&T has been talking about doing this exact same thing for a while. Since a VERY small percentage of their iPhone users are the ones using a majority of the data on AT&T, they are considering charging those folks more.
  10. JhankG

JhankG New Member

11. 640k

640k New Member

yeah, this is pretty much old news. service providers have been talking about this for some time. infrastructure is expensive, regardless of methods implemented. to support large customer bases that only continue to get larger, substantially increases each time you upgrade.

the business models for what these companies are doing are definitely obsurd, but what can you do?

the best thing to happen would be for manufacturers to stop subsidizing phones so that service providers can compete solely on infrastructure and nothign else.

it's what the rest of the world does.
  12. bje1982

bje1982 New Member

they save $ using LTE and then use teired plans to make it end up being more $ for the customer so it looks like it is all about the paper
  13. dwagner88

dwagner88 New Member

As tethering becomes more mainstream, and integrated into the mobile OS's, this sort of regulation is inevitable. Hopefully the prices won't increase much for average use.
  14. streetkid

streetkid New Member

Fine with me as long as $30 remains unlimited, then they go down from there... I hardly hit 5gigs, I feel like I should be paying $10 a month for my usage, not 30.
  15. bje1982

bje1982 New Member

thats the thing there probably wont be any "unlimited data" plans, there might be a $30 data plan but it would have a cap of data.
  16. kpiskin

kpiskin New Member

And the cap will be 5MB, not 5GB. I really hate when they say it's an unlimited plan with limits.

That's why I don't get why they would also potentially block something like tethering. If you have a cap, who cares how you get there or if you go over as long as you pay for it. If I have 5GB, I should be able to download that data when and how I want to within the capabilities of the device (without Verizon hobbling it).
  17. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

You do know there is no limit on Droid plans. It's truly unlimited.
  18. JhankG

JhankG New Member

5MB? I believe you're confused there.
  19. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
  20. mach330

mach330 New Member

what i want to know as well is....once all the 4G phones comes out. will they force you to get 4G plan? if it's like sprint with $10 more a month. i would like to stick with 3G, but of course i probably want the cool 4G phones. i hope we can choose.