Tiered 4G data plans, according to VZW.

kpiskin

Reaction score
And the cap will be 5MB, not 5GB. I really hate when they say it's an unlimited plan with limits.

That's why I don't get why they would also potentially block something like tethering. If you have a cap, who cares how you get there or if you go over as long as you pay for it. If I have 5GB, I should be able to download that data when and how I want to within the capabilities of the device (without Verizon hobbling it).

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
And the cap will be 5MB, not 5GB. I really hate when they say it's an unlimited plan with limits.

That's why I don't get why they would also potentially block something like tethering. If you have a cap, who cares how you get there or if you go over as long as you pay for it. If I have 5GB, I should be able to download that data when and how I want to within the capabilities of the device (without Verizon hobbling it).

You do know there is no limit on Droid plans. It's truly unlimited.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

5MB? I believe you're confused there.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
And the cap will be 5MB, not 5GB.

youfunnykid.jpg

mach330

Reaction score
what i want to know as well is....once all the 4G phones comes out. will they force you to get 4G plan? if it's like sprint with $10 more a month. i would like to stick with 3G, but of course i probably want the cool 4G phones. i hope we can choose.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

5MB? I'd be scared to check an email haha

bje1982

Reaction score

5MB? I'd be scared to check an email haha

I wonder what the overage charges would look like if you were capped at 5MB haha

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
what i want to know as well is....once all the 4G phones comes out. will they force you to get 4G plan? if it's like sprint with $10 more a month. i would like to stick with 3G, but of course i probably want the cool 4G phones. i hope we can choose.

Nope, because your current phone cannot use that network.

Your choice would depend on what phone you choose to use, of course right now they couldn't just drop 3G, too many out there who wouldn't upgrade, etc.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
I find it laughable that they find it necessary to make it tiered at all. If they have the bandwidth for unlimited right now, then they definatley have it for lte/4g. The only way I would even consider paying more for unlimited is if I get the full listed speed or higher that i've seen initially floating around of 12mb/s up/down or higher, it is truly unlimited and it lets me tether.. no caps. Then the higher price would be warranted as I essentially can drop comcast and end up paying less overall for my internet access and phone.

Otherwise they can shove their tiered plan where the sun don't shine. It's like they are taking 4 steps forward technology wise and 6 steps backwards business wise. We're not in the dial up age anymore, we shouldn't be priced so bad we don't want to use our phones.

I would suggest everyone email vzw corporate or whoever the decision maker is and flood them with emails on how against this people are. They may think they will make more money but if they see that half their smartphone users are going to bail without affordable unlimited they may rethink the whole thing. It's a shame sprint had to go off and be the outcast with what spec they are using. they seem to understand at least for the moment that unlimited is unlimited and shouldn't cost your soul. most I see is like 69 for unlimited everything and then if you want that share tether it's a bit more... reasonable and still cheaper than i pay now for vzw. too bad theres like no areas with 4g .

dwagner88

Reaction score
I find it laughable that they find it necessary to make it tiered at all. If they have the bandwidth for unlimited right now, then they definatley have it for lte/4g. The only way I would even consider paying more for unlimited is if I get the full listed speed or higher that i've seen initially floating around of 12mb/s up/down or higher, it is truly unlimited and it lets me tether.. no caps. Then the higher price would be warranted as I essentially can drop comcast and end up paying less overall for my internet access and phone.

Otherwise they can shove their tiered plan where the sun don't shine. It's like they are taking 4 steps forward technology wise and 6 steps backwards business wise. We're not in the dial up age anymore, we shouldn't be priced so bad we don't want to use our phones.

I would suggest everyone email vzw corporate or whoever the decision maker is and flood them with emails on how against this people are. They may think they will make more money but if they see that half their smartphone users are going to bail without affordable unlimited they may rethink the whole thing. It's a shame sprint had to go off and be the outcast with what spec they are using. they seem to understand at least for the moment that unlimited is unlimited and shouldn't cost your soul. most I see is like 69 for unlimited everything and then if you want that share tether it's a bit more... reasonable and still cheaper than i pay now for vzw. too bad theres like no areas with 4g .

Yes, this is true for their current 3G network. However, they have to build their LTE network from scratch because it is not compatible at all with their current CDMA hardware. I am very concerned about what happens to network reliability once we move away from CDMA radios. Look at reviews of the EVO for example. Most say that the 4G coverage is not so great, and the signal often drops out. I fear that we will experience the same as VZW starts up its 4G network.

Beardface

Reaction score
I highly doubt Verizon is going to be stupid about this whole thing.

I mean, when we heard that they were going to be charging a Data Plan for everyone that had a smart phone, we all freaked out at the $30 cost. Then they announced a reduction in all plans of $30, which netted everything out. It actually benefitted people who didn't have data plans while still charging a premium to everyone who wanted it. This was last year. Do you really think they've really grown that dumb in the past 6 months? Really?

It'll likely be something similar to what they have now. $30 (or maybe $40) for unlimited. Then, they tier it downwards. People who don't use much data will not pay as much. And yes, there will be an unlimited plan. They have always had unlimited plans, they pride themselves on their unlimited plans, so why would they back out on that, especially when they're competing head to head with AT&T and the iPhone?

They know most people stay with them because they have a good network for a reasonable price. If that were to change, they know people would flock to AT&T for the more popular Apple devices. They're not going to ruin their reputation and the momentum they've built just to make a quick buck from their loyal customers. They're not that stupid.

Taegost

Reaction score
I highly doubt Verizon is going to be stupid about this whole thing.

I mean, when we heard that they were going to be charging a Data Plan for everyone that had a smart phone, we all freaked out at the $30 cost. Then they announced a reduction in all plans of $30, which netted everything out. It actually benefitted people who didn't have data plans while still charging a premium to everyone who wanted it. This was last year. Do you really think they've really grown that dumb in the past 6 months? Really?

It'll likely be something similar to what they have now. $30 (or maybe $40) for unlimited. Then, they tier it downwards. People who don't use much data will not pay as much. And yes, there will be an unlimited plan. They have always had unlimited plans, they pride themselves on their unlimited plans, so why would they back out on that, especially when they're competing head to head with AT&T and the iPhone?

They know most people stay with them because they have a good network for a reasonable price. If that were to change, they know people would flock to AT&T for the more popular Apple devices. They're not going to ruin their reputation and the momentum they've built just to make a quick buck from their loyal customers. They're not that stupid.

Verizon Wireless was actually the last carrier in the US to offer an unlimited plan... Last for text, last for data, last for phone calls...
But I do agree with you that I don't think Verizon Wireless would cut their nose off to spite their face. Verizon Communications does all the time, but VZW is less then half-owned by Verizon (Thank God...) and they try to do right by their customers.
The tiered plan it probably to just help offset the cost of the network and get some money off the early adopters, which is exactly what every company in the entire world does when they have a new product... Eventually, it'll stabilize and come down in price.
It'll also be good because it'll limit who jumps on the new network, so they can test the network and adjust bandwidth accordingly, as well as plan for future growth.

OP
K

killabyte

Wow... and to think just 10 yrs ago people actually used their phones to talk on. You guys make it sound like the end of the world or something. Use a laptop or copy the music directly to your phone instead of streaming it. Honestly what did some of you do before cell phones became all in one devices?

2001400ex

Reaction score
Did anyone read the article? They are confining the LTE network to aircards to start. In other words, no phones til next year about this time (knowing they will be behind schedule). I am sure they will have pricing figured out by then. Besides, my phone is fast enough for what I do, and when I tether, 3g is faster than some hotel wireless networks. So, unless you depend on a fast connection on a regular basis, there is no need /desire for 4g. Read the reviews on the sprint phone, though the technology is a little different, same premise.