Thunderbolt Camera Scratch

kashanka19

Reaction score
A few days ago I noticed a small black spot when I was taking pictures with my thunderbolt. A few hours later it had moved to the center of the screen, but eventually moved back to the side. It is now back into the center and looks worse, but still small. It seems that the glass is scratched, (thanks for the poor design, HTC). I'm not sure how to go about fixing it?

Picture attached, the scratch is the T shaped black spot on the silver part of my laptop

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 482

Joeobrien22

Reaction score
camera replacement

You can replace the camera, the only probblem is, i don't know if htc sells that part, i've found the screen, digitizer, and covers from repairuniverse, but not camera, I actually kept my broken thunderbolt. so I have an extra that way, because in other phones i've scratched the glass with no recourse to replace it.. basically, if you get hold of a camera piece, it's a very easy, simple part.. it just attatches to the motherboard via a ribbon cable. google "htc thunderbolt screen replacement" and there is a video from repairuniverse... that will show you how to take apart the phone, you don't have to do all the steps, just until you can see the back of the motherboard, be careful with the other ribbon cables though, as you can rip them if you don't detatch the jaw connectors first. but i'ts a very easy replace, but it will void a warranty if you have one.

Joeobrien22

Reaction score
correction, the camera is probably not scratched, but the glass covering it is part of the cover/ frame of the motherboard, it pops out of the internal frame, so you can try to juust get the camera glass cover piece, and replace that

Giznad

Reaction score
if i could chime in here. . .i have a similar problem. a spec appeared on my cam. i took the phone apart and the spot, unfortunately, is not on the glass that is housed in the plastic part, but on the lense itself. . .now i ask how in the world did that get scratched when it is encased in the phone?!?!?!

next question, anyone know where i can get a cam replacement for it?

johnd09

Reaction score
It may not be a scratch, it could be dirt that got in through the gap at the top of the screen. I have heard of this causing problems with the proximity sensor already. You could try blowing it out with compressed air.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!!

Giznad

Reaction score
i actually had already tried blowing it out with a little air compressor. believe it or not though. . .i left the cam apart for a little while and in a last ditch effort i took the cam out completely and blew it out and put it pack in, attached battery and it's gone now. whatever the speck was came unlodged. . .so who knows? it may find its way back eventually but at least i know it's not the lense that's actually scratched.