Thoughts on Google Navigation.

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by ronimous, Nov 11, 2009.

1. DroidMastar

DroidMastar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You can do that... and essentially Google Maps and NAvigations are one in the same.

I think the App is great and seeing that it is still beta, I think it will only get better, can't beat that it's free as apposed to VZNavigator on other phones which IMO sucks...

2. raphytaffy

raphytaffy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Durr! I was trying that before and didn't see any menus open up. Just realized it's because that home screen was full of apps. Thanks for the tip!

3. DroidMastar

DroidMastar Guest

Ratings:
    +0

4. otaku

otaku Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But how do you do what I asked for? In the Maps app, there is no "3D" view that I can find and it does not track me (ie, when I move off the map screen, the map screen does not move).

I seem to remember on my BB the old Google Maps app had a "track me" function, but I can't find that in the Droid.

5. DroidMastar

DroidMastar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    By 3D view I assumed you meant Satellite view where you can see the actual geographical view right?
    Maps>Press Menu Button>Layers>select satellite
    You should see the maps app in satelite view... if you don't see the big blue indicator light press menu button and press My location, this will center you over your location(lil blue indicator) and when you walk/drive it will move accordingly. :D

Use Zoom as needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  6. otaku

otaku Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In GPS parlance, "3D" view means being on an angle to the horizon so you really only see what's ahead of you. Think of what the default view on a Garmin is. This is not a top-down view like Google Maps allows. The Navigation app shows this 3D view, but from what I understand you cannot get the 3D view in maps (I think I saw a Google developer on a blog somewhere asked this question and his response was no).

As far as tracking, I will try specifically selecting my location. I turn on the Latitudes layer and it centers on my current location, but I still "drive off" the map and the map never re-centers.

7. BigTex71

BigTex71 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to see Google add your current speed and the current speed limit for the road you are on. That is one thing I truly miss from my Garmin.

8. cpubugs

cpubugs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In comparison to what I was using VZNavigator it has some greats and not so greats... But it is Beta, so hopefully they will adjust things and pay attention to requests. First, and maybe I am missing it is the lack of a "save" function, so I can save my home address or work address etc... 2nd the fact that the GPS function is Dependant on Cell signal is a bit distressing... Because to me I would assume that it's not GPS at all but tracked via Cell towers. Which leads to some discrepancies..

9. otaku

otaku Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Reliance on cell signal is due to the fact the maps are stored "in the cloud" and are downloaded from Google. But the Nav app should download maps for your whole route when you begin navigating, so if you get a call or enter a dead zone, you should still see the maps you need. Now of course if you get re-routed, I'm sure it has to re-download the maps...

But that is a great point about Nav begin beta. I wish Google had a good place for us to give them comments on our thoughts on the beta. I've checked the Google boards and the only thing I've found is the Google Maps Mobile board where the Navigation announcement was made by an employee named Thom. He said you can post replies to his question with bug reports and gave a link to post suggestions.

Here's the link to Thom's post:

New! Google Maps Navigation (Beta) for Android OS 2.0 - Google Mobile Help

If anyone knows of anywhere else to report this stuff to Google, please share.

10. otaku

otaku Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, this is where I found Thom saying 3D view was available only in the Navigation app and apparently only while navigating:

As you can see also, he clearly differentiates between Google Maps Navigation and Google Maps for mobile, even though it looks like they are almost the same app.

11. Gratchf703

Gratchf703 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can create navigation favorites

12. eric777

eric777 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a Marine navigation package with charts on the horizon?

Search tags for this page
how to avoid interstate on iphone navigation
microsoft streets and trips app for android
microsoft streets and trips for galaxy pad
streets and trips 2013 with a droid navigator

streets and trips for android tablet