Thoughts on Google Navigation.

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by ronimous, Nov 11, 2009.

1. otaku

otaku New Member

Reliance on cell signal is due to the fact the maps are stored "in the cloud" and are downloaded from Google. But the Nav app should download maps for your whole route when you begin navigating, so if you get a call or enter a dead zone, you should still see the maps you need. Now of course if you get re-routed, I'm sure it has to re-download the maps...

But that is a great point about Nav begin beta. I wish Google had a good place for us to give them comments on our thoughts on the beta. I've checked the Google boards and the only thing I've found is the Google Maps Mobile board where the Navigation announcement was made by an employee named Thom. He said you can post replies to his question with bug reports and gave a link to post suggestions.

Here's the link to Thom's post:

New! Google Maps Navigation (Beta) for Android OS 2.0 - Google Mobile Help

If anyone knows of anywhere else to report this stuff to Google, please share.
  2. otaku

otaku New Member

BTW, this is where I found Thom saying 3D view was available only in the Navigation app and apparently only while navigating:

As you can see also, he clearly differentiates between Google Maps Navigation and Google Maps for mobile, even though it looks like they are almost the same app.
  3. Gratchf703

Gratchf703 New Member

You can create navigation favorites
  4. eric777

eric777 New Member

Is there a Marine navigation package with charts on the horizon?
  5. omnibus

omnibus New Member

On a planned trip from Gillette, WY to Phoenix AZ area the directions given by MS streets & trips are nearly 200 miles shorter.

Is there a way to edit the Google results by using "via's"
  6. Boris Badenov

Boris Badenov New Member

One thing that I did not like about navigator is that it does not automatically dim the screen at night. When it gets dark bright screen is becoming annoying very quickly.

On a contrary – I like how it changing scale depending on your speed.
  7. Boris Badenov

Boris Badenov New Member

What Google really should do is to allow you to plot the route in Google maps (where you can drag it around every which way you want), save it and then retrieve it from the phone.

That would be awesome…

:)
  8. appirishmen

appirishmen New Member

ive used the nav once. it did eat my battery and i dont have a dock so i just held it in my lab. it worked really well. took me right to my apartment. i was in a building at school today and the GPS MY Location thing was off. but other than that it has been on the spot.

another thing. the best thing is, this is only the beta version. i cant wait until the update comes out!
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  9. otaku

otaku New Member

I can already do this on my Garmin nav unit using MSN Direct (which is going away in 2012, like the rest of the world), but it only works using Bing :icon_evil:

The feature is awesome and I'd hope Google adds it.
  10. wallstreet123456

wallstreet123456 New Member

When I use the GPS Nav feature on the phone my car/blue arrow always seems to be at the bottom of the screen, is there a way for it to be centered on the screen, I think the GPS units I have from TomTom and Navigon do this, also can you zoom in more on the roads so the names are easier to see? When I use the zoom button then the movement for the arrow seems to get jerky and not smooth.
  11. BigTex71

BigTex71 New Member

I prefer to have the vehicle represented on the bottom of the screen. That allows you to see more of the upcoming places, rather than show where you have already been.
  12. jeepwagoneer

jeepwagoneer New Member

Hello everyone. This is my first post so hang in there. Like everyone else I was surprised that no one has commented on this. I drive a lot. Self employed sales guy. I hadn't purchased a nav unit but had a storm (which I gave back for the droid) loaded with Nav4all (hated it).

Personally, If this is beta I can't imagine what they are going to put in the final release. Here is my Pros and Con list:

Pro's:
    * It's familiar. Used Google maps often
    *As accurate as Google Maps
    *Love the search feature
    *Like the ability to follow myself with the sat view
    *Love that in sat mode I see the names of many of the companies around me
    *I think its paid for itself in fuel money already
    *Recalc is really fast. Better than my partners TomTom

Cons:
    *Menus can get a little clunky
    *As accurate as Google maps
    *No auto dim or night mode
    *Would like some more voice choices (not really a con)

I just hope it's still free when it's released.
  13. liguy257

liguy257 New Member

It better still be free!! Is that really a possibility? I'm already ripping myself for the extra $30/month I'm spending for the data plan, I don't want to pay for anything else. I'm not sure how the nav compares to separate units but I used it today and it worked perfectly. I don't need it that often but it's great to have.
  14. Slighter

Slighter New Member

I don't think it's fair to compare this to a dedicated piece of hardware such as Garmin or tom tom, that's all they do. I compare the beta to 3rd party Copilot 7 software I used in my newly retired Q9c. The beta simply blows Copilot out of the water. As far as battery life while driving how hard is it to plug in the charger? There are plenty of options out there for those who want every thing right now, Myself I think this just ROCKS!
  15. jeepwagoneer

jeepwagoneer New Member

I would have the data plan regaurdless.
  16. jeepwagoneer

jeepwagoneer New Member

Why is this not fair? They are meant to perform the same task.
  17. srothkin

srothkin New Member

I think it's completely fair. I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. If the Droid navigation works as well as (or better than) the Nuvi, then I can leave the nuvi/mount/adapter home when I travel -- a few things less to carry. But if the Droid can't do as well as the Nuvi then I'm going to have to stick with what works.
  18. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

I tested out the Google Navigation today... got the directions and let Droid tell me the way on the road. I had to go to three stores unexpectedly (on the go, not once stopping home) and in random cities all about 1/2 hour apart, only because of traffic. It spoke the directions in a manner that gets you prepared and repeats when you are right next to it. The screen shows you gps tracking, street by street on a map and lists the upcoming directions with the ability to access further settings.
  19. BeepBoopBoo

BeepBoopBoo New Member

Let's be honest about the navigator...It is by no means able to replace my Tom Tom. It is neither as accurate nor as flexible. I have tested it against my Tom Tom for 10 days now and the Tom Tom hands down destroys Google Navigator.

Now, having said that, there are some things that are great about the Navigator that, after some updating of the bad could make this a great navigation system.

1. Locating places via Google is great. The amount of information you can garner about your destination is invaluable

2. Voice search is very accurate.

3. Sat view is wonderful...needs to be applied at a closer to ground view...more like a dedicated Nav sys.

Given the fact that the phone is a touch screen I was disappointed to find that the navigator didn't take advantage of this. Most of the interface takes place using the soft keys...Google needs to update the system to accept a touch on the screen anywhere that will then take you to a menu of options, much like dedicated Nav sys.

The lack of system options and integrated favorite destinations is somewhat disappointing, but truly what was sad was that Google still has yet to update their maps to show a neighborhood that has been in existence for 8 years now. Tom Tom only took a year to get that straightened out.

Now no doubt this is just the beginnings for Google navigation...Given Google’s track record I can only imagine that by the third or 4th generation many if not all of my gripes will have been fixed. But the truth of the matter right now, and for all those that are touting this system as "good as or better that Dedicated Nav systems" either don't have one, or are blinded by their love for everything Droid. As for me...LOOOOOOOOVE Droid, but will stick with my Tom Tom until Google fixes the Nav.
  20. wallstreet123456

wallstreet123456 New Member

How long until they update nav? Do you think this will remain in Beta for a year or more?

I was using the Nav this weekend and I received a phone call, I answered the phone and was talking and as I was the nav would talk over me and tell me where to go. Is that a bug or should this be happening. Was very difficult to speak on the phone as this was happening. (I was using the speaker phone)
Search tags for this page

microsoft streets and trips app for android

microsoft streets and trips for galaxy pad
streets and trips 2013 with a droid navigator

streets and trips for android tablet