This thread is about motorcycles!

JimmyC

Reaction score
I use the Scala Rider G4. I simply cut a small slit in my chin guard so the microphone could slide right on through. It's great being able to hear music while I ride!

JRParsons

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a stereo (for listening to music) bluetooth communicator (for intercom-app communication) headset that is a) small enough to fit under a full-face motorcycle helmet and b) not designated to motorcycle use only (meaning we can walk around with it off the bike as well) ???

Basically, I'm looking for a stereo bluetooth headset that is intended for non-biker use but will fit under my full-face helmet.
I found the Motorolla version with the over the ear, and behind the neck design to fit, but since I got the Blueant f4 I wouldn't think of going back to stuffing headphones under my helmet. With the Motorolla, the back part that is on the back of your neck doesn't go in the helmet, so if you put your head all the back you will feel them press against the back of your neck. I used them for 2 years under a full face, I had to hold them against my ears when I was putting on the helmet but then the side of the helmet held them in place. You won't be able to use any of the controls, because they will be inside the helmet. Hope this helps.
I really recommend one of the bluetooth communicators, they are real easy to control with gloves on. Where I live I believe they are illegal but I have been using one all summer and not one officer has questioned it. I know wearing headphones is illegal, not sure if these would be considered headphones.

Sent from my Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it is funny how using headphones is illegal, but driving down the road in most states with a 1500W stereo blasting, while eating a cheesburger and texting your friends all at the same time is not.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it is funny how using headphones is illegal, but driving down the road in most states with a 1500W stereo blasting, while eating a cheesburger and texting your friends all at the same time is not.

This!!

Never quite understood that. Wife and I are trying to get into cycles, and will be taking the training wheels course here in MA. Seems like the best way to get into it.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

This!!

Never quite understood that. Wife and I are trying to get into cycles, and will be taking the training wheels course here in MA. Seems like the best way to get into it.

Yeah, see if your state has an MSF course. Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Costs a few hundred bucks, but it is usually a Friday night, and all day Sat and Sun. You get classroom time, lots of time on a bike on the course and they give you the written test and then if you pass their road test, you get a certficate to take to the DMV to get your license so that you don't have to take the DMV's road test. Great way to learn, and most states give you a discount on your insurance for having taken the course.

My girlfriend took the MSF course and was up and riding in no time. 4 months and 4,000 miles later she upgraded her Ninja 250 to a Ninja ZX-6R. 6 months and 6,000 miles later she did her first track day at Road Atlanta, and now she is looking at a new Ducati Streetfighter 848.

The MSF course really helped her progress so quickly, that coupled with tons of saddle time.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Squire.

We are looking forward to it. Have to find a reasonable bike as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
The MSF course really helped her progress so quickly, that coupled with tons of saddle time.

Definitely good advice. The MSF course can sometimes get you a discount on insurance too. Another good way to start, imo, is on dirt. I'm sure you heard the saying, "god made dirt and dirt dont hurt". It really teaches you how to control a bike when traction is limited. If you can get a hold of a used 80cc dirt bike for cheap it would be worth it.

JRParsons

Reaction score
There's really no place to ride on dirt in MA. As a kid there were a few places that tolerated it, but most have been closed or fenced off for years. I do agree, nothing will teach you how to handle a bike like doing a 20 mile loop through thick woods as fast as you can.

I'm also from ma, and 25 years after first throwing a leg over my 1984? Cr480 I still have a kdx220 that sees substantially more time in my shed than anywhere else.
Luckily my job has me traveling all over new england, which allows me to ride (on road) about 600 to 800 miles a week.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Squire.

We are looking forward to it. Have to find a reasonable bike as well.

What kind of riding are you looking to do? What is your budget? Sport or cruising?

Contrary to popular belief, learning on a sportbike is often easier. You don't need an R1 or anything, but a 600cc sportbike is very docile at low revs. It's also 200+lbs lighter than a cruiser, maneuvers better, stops easier, etc...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thinking about just cruising for now. Maybe more for me.

Wife can drive stick if she absolutely has to but is worried about learning on the bike.

Budget is meager at this time but I've been looking into mid nineties sport/touring bikes. 250-600cc

My brother learned on one. He said it was a good size to learn on.

MJKneuro

Reaction score
Current Bike - 01 Fat Boy. First Bike - 65cc '68 Harley - multiple in between - some Jap and Euro bikes but mostly Harleys.

"You never see a bike parked in front of a shrink's office (unless he/she rode it there).

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

Wife can drive stick if she absolutely has to but is worried about learning on the bike.

Budget is meager at this time but I've been looking into mid nineties sport/touring bikes. 250-600cc

Either a Ninja 250 or a Ninja EX500 are great learning bikes. Been around for ever, dirt cheap, very reliable and great on gas. They are light, easy to maneuver, and the EX500 is quick enough to be fun, but not intimidating in any way.

learning on a dirt bike is a great idea that someone posed, it teaches you to shift and work controls and all that and crashing on dirt or grass is much better than pavement. Only issue is that on a dirt bike, you almost never use the front brake and on a street bike, you pretty much ONLY use the front brake.

On a dirt bike you have less traction and so if you hit the front you lock the wheel and when the front wheel slides, you eat dirt. SO you tend to use just the rear, because you can slide the back end around all you want and still steer and stay up with the front.

On the street, the front tire has the most grip under braking and the rear has very little grip. So you use the front most of the time, only adding a litte bit of rear brake when you have to stop in a real hurry.

I almost never use the rear brake, I don't think that I have ever replaced a set of rear brakes on a streetbike. Even on the track when you are doing 160mph+ on the straight and need to bring it down to 45mph for a 90 degree left turn(turn 10a on Road Atlanta), I never really use the rear. It's all front brake and a little bit of engine braking as I go from 6th gear to second gear before tipping it into the turn.

JRParsons

Reaction score

Either a Ninja 250 or a Ninja EX500 are great learning bikes. Been around for ever, dirt cheap, very reliable and great on gas. They are light, easy to maneuver, and the EX500 is quick enough to be fun, but not intimidating in any way.

learning on a dirt bike is a great idea that someone posed, it teaches you to shift and work controls and all that and crashing on dirt or grass is much better than pavement. Only issue is that on a dirt bike, you almost never use the front brake and on a street bike, you pretty much ONLY use the front brake.

On a dirt bike you have less traction and so if you hit the front you lock the wheel and when the front wheel slides, you eat dirt. SO you tend to use just the rear, because you can slide the back end around all you want and still steer and stay up with the front.

On the street, the front tire has the most grip under braking and the rear has very little grip. So you use the front most of the time, only adding a litte bit of rear brake when you have to stop in a real hurry.

I almost never use the rear brake, I don't think that I have ever replaced a set of rear brakes on a streetbike. Even on the track when you are doing 160mph+ on the straight and need to bring it down to 45mph for a 90 degree left turn(turn 10a on Road Atlanta), I never really use the rear. It's all front brake and a little bit of engine braking as I go from 6th gear to second gear before tipping it into the turn.

Hadn't thought of the rear/front brake difference, but that is a really good point. I spent many years riding and racing in the woods, didn't switch to street until I got old. I still have a tendency to use too much rear brake in emergency situations. Also I agree 100% with the bike choices for learning. Rear brake will almost always get you sliding on a street bike, and will straighten you up in the dirt.

In MA. I know Cycles128 offers a very good riding school, they're in Beverly. Not sure where you are, but I'm sure there are other good schools scattered throughout the state.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for both of those.

I know the rear brake is almost unused on street riding but hadn't thought about the dirt portion.

Turn 10a is a rough corner after that much speed. I have experienced the corner many times (in video games!). I know its not half the same! ;)

WERA689

Administrator
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
One+ One, Nexus 5
Thanks for both of those.

I know the rear brake is almost unused on street riding but hadn't thought about the dirt portion.

Turn 10a is a rough corner after that much speed. I have experienced the corner many times (in video games!). I know its not half the same! ;)

I love 10a/10b, but I will forever miss Gravity Cavity :icon_eek: