This thing gets HOT!

MARVIC 1

Reaction score
I got my Droid X phone in the mail the other day and I have been setting it up with Apps and accounts.
I have notice that the bottom of the phone get very hot after about 5 to 10 minutes of operation, is this normal with the Droid?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is like a small computer, processor and all, so yes it will get hotter than any other phone you have probably ever had, if it is new and you are running stock I would say it is nothing to worry about, hopefully someone who has an X can share their experience on it...I have the Original D and my phone gets warm but it has never been a concern

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've had a case, either silicone or hard plastic on my dx since I got it. Haven't noticed it getting HOT though. Maybe warm...if you're doing a LOT on it, it stands to reason it's going to warm up though.

Emitted from X.

OP
MARVIC 1

MARVIC 1

Reaction score
Thanks guys, think I'll be taking it to Verizon and see what they say about exchanging for another.. It really gets very hot at the bottom/back of the case... Will let you guys know how it turns out, again thanks for the replies to this issue I have with my DX...

scsa20

Reaction score
My Droid X gets hot but only when I'm doing a lot of things that requires high processing (like consently using adb and shelling into the phone to do things, consently transfer files back and forth through usb, etc.) but otherwise, when it just sits there idle with only turning on the screen to check if I've missed a call or text, it runs pretty cool, just like a normal computer tbh.

kennyc

Reaction score
Thanks guys, think I'll be taking it to Verizon and see what they say about exchanging for another.. It really gets very hot at the bottom/back of the case... Will let you guys know how it turns out, again thanks for the replies to this issue I have with my DX...

How's the battery life. If something is wrong that is causing it to overheat it's most likely going to shorten the battery life tremendously.

kennyc

Reaction score
Why Doesn't Droid X have an internal temp sensor like my TIVO.

luv2increase

Reaction score
The droid x does have an internal temp sensor.

If you are still on 2.1, you may want to try to undervolt your phone. That will definitely lower your temperature.

I don't have a case on my phone. That may be why it doesn't get hot. I know that my Droid 1 and Droid Incredible would get a lot warmer than my Droid X.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kennyc

Reaction score
The droid x does have an internal temp sensor.

If you are still on 2.1, you may want to try to undervolt your phone. That will definitely lower your temperature.

I don't have a case on my phone. That may be why it doesn't get hot. I know that my Droid 1 and Droid Incredible would get a lot warmer than my Droid X.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Oh really? I was just trying to be a smartass and see what it got me. :)

OP
MARVIC 1

MARVIC 1

Reaction score
I don't know the operations of this phone the way you guys do, but I do keep eyes open on each reply... Thanks!
Just this morning I went to see how the phone was doing and it had lost all its power. I inserted the charger and it showed the battery icon at 0%..
This phone is surly going back to where it came from.... :(

kennyc

Reaction score
That doesn't sound good. I'd definitely get it replaced.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
Could be the battery not the phone. I bought a second battery the day I got my x. My phone was getting pretty warm that day on the of original battery. That night I put in the new battery and the original in my wallet. Phone hasn't gotten warm since but I didn't think anything of it until today. I switched batteries do I keep their lifespans similar and boom, the phone is getting quite hot. Must be the battery. Going to see if verizon will send me a new one.

OP
MARVIC 1

MARVIC 1

Reaction score
Could be the battery not the phone.
You were right idiotekniQues! :)
I took the DX over to Verizon and they replace the battery and its working fine with no heat at the bottom of the phone like before, just a little warm with lots of Apps running...
Thanks guys for your help!

kennyc

Reaction score
Could be the battery not the phone.
You were right idiotekniQues! :)
I took the DX over to Verizon and they replace the battery and its working fine with no heat at the bottom of the phone like before, just a little warm with lots of Apps running...
Thanks guys for your help!

So it was getting REALLY HOT? I ask because this is my first full day with my new DX and I can definitely feel it being warm at the bottom/back in my shirt pocket. I wouldn't say hot at all, but definitely, noticeably Warm!