This is a silly annoyance.

mjwassmer

Reaction score
I love my original Droid--one thing, though, has lately really been getting under my skin.

Occasionally, when I'm in a program (browsing the web, playing a game, etc), I'll hit the home button to go back to my main screen. The Droid will take me to my main screen--but nothing will be there! No widgets, no icons... just my background. It takes it up to 10 seconds for everything to come back. This happens... maybe 25% of the time.

Is this just general lag, or is there something I can do so that this doesn't happen? It really funks with the smoothness factor of the phone.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I love my original Droid--one thing, though, has lately really been getting under my skin.

Occasionally, when I'm in a program (browsing the web, playing a game, etc), I'll hit the home button to go back to my main screen. The Droid will take me to my main screen--but nothing will be there! No widgets, no icons... just my background. It takes it up to 10 seconds for everything to come back. This happens... maybe 25% of the time.

Is this just general lag, or is there something I can do so that this doesn't happen? It really funks with the smoothness factor of the phone.

Many people are experiencing this. Not sure if there is anything you can do. Not even sure overclocking will fix it. The problem seems to be that the launcher is thrown out of memory and needs to be reloaded. I remember reading about some hack to get it to always stay in memory, but don't remember the specifics.

SandsUSA

Reaction score
Launcher Pro in the market has some settings for 'locking' into memory.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the OS is killing the launcher because you have a lot of stuff running. The browser itself can certainly take up a lot of resources, especially if you have a lot of windows open.

If you have a lot of apps that run on startup, a lot of widgets, or live wallpapers then these will take up memory and CPU causing your phone to be a bit sluggish. Even one problematic app, widget, or live wallpaper can cause the problem. Consider removing some things you've installed that you don't want anymore.

After installing a new app, I reboot and check that the app isn't running on startup if I don't need it too. For example, Slacker starts on boot so I uninstalled it and use Pandora instead.

Use an app's exit/close/quit button if it has one. Pandora has one, Navigation has one, Dolphin HD browser has one...although I normally leave my browser open so that I can switch back to it quickly.

Finally, a reboot every few days isn't a bad idea.