thinking of getting droidx

snowboardpunk

Reaction score
right now i just have a regular phone and my contract ends really soon. so i was thinking of wat phone i should get. i was thinking of getting the droid x but i kinda dont wanna pay the 30 dollars a month for the data plan. so i was wondering what can you really do on a droid x or as a matter of fact a smart phone in general instead of a regular phone?

anything besides games because i have a ipod touch that i jailbroke but i dont play any games on it... even tho i put like 15 games on it.

xliderider

Reaction score
Nowadays, many feature phones on Verizon have a data plan requirement. You might have to choose between several limited plan levels like $10 or $20 plans. With a smartphone's data plan, you get unlimited data per month (for now).

Only you can decide whether you need an unlimited vs limited data plan or just a bare bones feature phone with no data on it.

OP
S

snowboardpunk

Reaction score
i know you have to pay the 30 dollars a month but i was more wondering on wat features can you do with the droid phone in general? like wat does open source really do for you? basically what makes this phone awesome?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
wat features can you do with the droid phone in general? like wat does open source really do for you? basically what makes this phone awesome?

There are endless threads contained in this forum about Open Source,What you can do with a Droid, and the Pro's and Con's of the upcoming DX my suggestion would be to do some reading, come up with your own opinion, and then ask questions.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i know you have to pay the 30 dollars a month but i was more wondering on wat features can you do with the droid phone in general? like wat does open source really do for you? basically what makes this phone awesome?
Open Source is referring to the Android OS. It's open to the public, so developers can get the source code and work from there.

As far as the device.....

internet browsing (full webpages not mobile versions), Flash player (on 2.2), wi-fi tethering, GPS w/ navigation, social network syncing, geotagging photos, connect to wi-fi (no data used and faster speeds), watch videos (full movies, youtube, etc), customizable backgrounds, desktops, widgets, icons, access and control your PC over 3g or wifi, the list goes on.....

some things require an app to do it, but most are free in the Market. If not free, the Android Market has reasonably priced apps.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Think about what you just asked us. "Please give me a summary of this entire forum."

OK, Smart phone you can view videos/movies, transfer these items, have music installed, have navigation without paying a monthly fee. Go up to your none smart phone and say "What is the difference between a smart phone and a non smart phone.. Droid will give you several answers to chose from because it is a google phone. Your non smart phone will sit there and stare at you because it didn't understand a word that you say.

Application galore, everything from Swype which allows you to text without having to punch letters to radar maps that zoom in on your current location.

I could go on and on but you should be getting an idea now. If that doesn't do it for you then just head over to wikipedia and see what they have fro smart phone. It's well worth the 30.00 a month more.

Droid forever

Reaction score
I am on my 3rd smartphone. Started with the Blackberry Storm (Not sure if it really even qualifies because the longer I had it the more I hated it). My second smartphone was the Motorola Droid, which I absolutely fell in love with. I dropped it and shattered the touch screen and it still worked perfectly, but it was about time for an upgrade for my Broadband card. I used the upgrade for it after seeing the features on the DX. So far i have to say i am extremely happy. Google has developed software for anyone to use to design your own apps. It is supposed to be so simple that a grade school child can use it. Open source doesn't limit you to just what the major corporate minions at Apple want you to have. I have Blockbuster set up on my phone and I am waiting to get home to try it out on my Hi-def TV via the HDMI cable. Once you make the switch and see how much easier life can be with a smartphone, I don't think you will ever go back. I know I won't. The $30/month is a small price to pay for the convenience and capabilities you get with a smartphone. If you use Myspace, Twitter, Facebook, or most any other social networking site, Android syncs your phone book, and changes the pictures for your contacts with their updated profile pictures. I am just about to the point of not needing a computer anymore with all the capabilities of my smartphone. dancedroid