Theme on rooted phone

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Easyroot just gives you SU permission. You need to install something called a "Deodexed" rom. Deodexed roms make it possible to change the color of the notification bar, clock color, etc. I recommend CyanogenMod 6.0, at least until Bugless Beast 0.5 is released. The link for CyanogenMod is here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/38278-cyanogenmod-installation.html

You did step 1 using easyroot, you need to do steps 1 through 4 next. After that, browse this thread for themes you like. This thread would also be helpful should you have any trouble installing Cyanogen.

Koush - Page 2 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

OP
krnmc

krnmc

Reaction score
aww okay thanks! ha i think ima unroot and root it the real way and then put on themes. Can i put on themes the way you told me even thought i dont root through eay root?

joeLENN1012

Reaction score
I rooted using easy root too. Will I not be able to theme my droid x or what because I want to theme it bad

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I provided you a link in my first reply explaining how to install a custom rom on your phone. You did the first step, rooting, to installing a custom ROM, the link provides the rest of the steps. You will NOT be able to theme your phone simply by rooting, regardless of how you root. All rooting does is give you SU permission using a flaw in the operating system. There are multiple ways to root using different flaws in the OS, none of them being the "real" way.

To theme you must install a deodexed custom ROM, cyanogen is probably the most stable custom Froyo rom at this point. The link I provided explains the easiest and safest way to install a custom ROM. The only problem you might encounter using this method is the first install attempt failing. If this happens, click "install sprecovery" and then click install "clockwork," then try the cyanogen install again. Installing custom roms and theming is somewhat dangerous to do and can result in you not being able to boot. There is a program to fix this on windows, but its not exactly user friendly.

I prefer Bugless Beast but it hasn't been updated lately.

OP
krnmc

krnmc

Reaction score
ha yeah i looked around and figured it out, =] thanks for the help though!

kgbmiker

Reaction score
I just rooted yesterday and need to learn what all this terminology means.

What is the difference between rom manager and custom rom? I have clockwork mod 2.5.0.1.

Thanks guys!!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
ROM manager is just an access point to download and manage custom ROM's there is a download section within R/M but be sure you know what you are doing before you start flashing custom ROM's...ask questions first

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ha i think ima unroot and root it the real way
Probably the best decision you will make concerning rooting your phone

why is this? just curious.

Because Easy root doesn't work on 2.2 so well and more importantly, doing it yourself means you get to learn something in the process so if something gets broken, you want to change it, you want to install a ROM, theme, kernel, whatever... you have a good foundation of knowledge within your own head of what you are doing and why.