The Weekend Round UP: 3-29-15

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
galaxy-s6-vs-galaxy-s6-edge-vs-htc-one-m9.jpg

Wrapping up some of the top stories of the weekend as we transition into our work week.

Both carrier and retail stores are taking pre-orders for the HTC M9, Galaxy S6, and Galaxy S6 Edge, some orders have been reported to have already been shipped to customers. I personally was able to get my hands on the s6 edge and came away impressed.

I was one who felt the edge was just a gimmick but actually felt like the edges add a smooth transition navigating from one side of the screen to the other. Just as when Samsung gambled on the idea of a note phone and set a trend for large phones (phablets), I really feel like the s6 edge can be a trend for devices in the future. The one area that concerned me though was how to put a case or a glass screen protector to protect the device, obviously a glass screen protector would be challenging but manufacturers are currently working on it (Amzer Kristal Tempered Glass HD Edge2Edge Clear Screen Protector).

As far as the interface it is touchwiz on top of 5.0.2 lollipop, so if you like touchwiz then you will love what Samsung has done but if you hate touchwiz then you may gravitate away. I could not help but notice that touchwiz was toned down a bit, not quite stock android but visually acceptable to one (me) who have a dislike for touchwiz. Over time we will have to see if the jank with touchwiz shows up, but for now, the phone is definitely a buy, and preferred over the s6 which almost feels archaic after playing with the s6 edge.

Really any device feels like a step back from the curved edge display of the s6 edge. If you have a Best Buy store with a Samsung section inside they currently have the s6 and s6 edge on display. I get the feel that Samsung will be winning the Spring yet again as the M9 visually does not stand out. To a customer, if you continue to release the same looking device it feels like the manufacturer is stuck in time. It will be interesting to see the numbers to see how many people walk out with an M9 over the s6 or s6 edge. So which device will you be getting this Spring, the s6 edge, s6, M9, or waiting for something else?

In entertainment:
  • Paramount announced both a Transformers sequel as well as spin off films. Despite the poor critical reviews Paramount continues to make money hand over fist with this franchise especially in the international markets. So if you are wanting to see more robots fighting robots then rest assure you will have more Transformers films to look forward to on the big screen.
  • Hugh Jackman will be playing the iconic Wolverine one more time in possibly another Wolverine movie. I for one am hoping for Old Man Logan, unfortunately that will be hard to do given Marvel own the rights to the Hulk. Maybe Fox can work out a deal with Marvel to borrow the Hulk for one film but I will not hold my breathe as Marvel is in the thick of their cinematic universe.
  • Speaking of Fox they released the graphics and synopsis for the upcoming Deadpool movie. Ryan Reynolds have been one of the people spearheading doing the "Merc with a Mouth" justice and bringing fans a proper representation of the hero, unlike what X-men Origins did sewing his mouth shut. The film is slated to release February of next year. A test footage (leaked footage) was shown last year giving the fans an ideal of the tone of this movie.
  • The sequel to the Fast in the Furious franchise, Furious 7, will be releasing to theaters Friday. This will be the last Fast in the Furious movie for actor Paul Walker who was killed in a car accident a few years ago. Universal brought in Paul Walker's brother to finish up filming a few scenes and fans will be able to see the much anticipated sequel next weekend. If you want to catch up on what you missed in the franchise Google has you covered The Fast and Furious Saga - Movies TV on Google Play

4 teams have punched their tickets to the Final Four. Undefeated Kentucky, who barely edged out Notre Dame, will be playing Wisconsin and Michigan State will be playing Duke for a chance at a National Championship. So how did your bracket turn out?

(edit Duke just defeated Gonzaga)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Awesome.. thanks for the update.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The Edge on the Note Edge was a nightmare for glass protector OEMs and never panned out. I can't imagine the S6 Edge making any headway in that department either.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Edge on the Note Edge was a nightmare for glass protector OEMs and never panned out. I can't imagine the S6 Edge making any headway in that department either.

Agree. I know manufacturers struggle with curved displays. When you introduce bends into the equation they have to be perfect especially with glass or it will not sit right. Be interesting to see though, but unless a person have the money to blow they may be having to look to the plastic screen protectors for protection.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Looks like Spigen gave up trying to shape the glass to the bends. To be honest having raised glass takes away from the smooth transition. Amzer is charging $40 for theirs but I am almost hesitant to spend that kind of money on an unproved glass screen protector. Dont get me wrong glass screen protectors, when done right, are worth the 40 bucks. But I almost feel like with the edge it may be better to just get a pack of 3 plastic protectors for $2 or go without a protector.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This makes me curious to see drop tests of the Galaxy S6 Edge now. :)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Looks like Spigen gave up trying to shape the glass to the bends. To be honest having raised glass takes away from the smooth transition. Amzer is charging $40 for theirs but I am almost hesitant to spend that kind of money on an unproved glass screen protector. Dont get me wrong glass screen protectors, when done right, are worth the 40 bucks. But I almost feel like with the edge it may be better to just get a pack of 3 plastic protectors for $2 or go without a protector.

What I ended up doing, after trying all of the glass screen protectors for the Note Edge, was to give up and not use a screen protector at all.

On my i6 Plus I ended up sticking with the last one I tried for it which does not go edge to edge. There is a little bit of a gap around the edges which is fine since the case that I have protrudes far enough to where you don't feel it.

With the Note Edge and now the S6 Edge that would drive me nuts to feel that hump on the screen as you slide your finger across it. It ruins the experience.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Spigen has a nice case for the s6 edge.

actually I would rather have a clear case to show off the metal.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Fair review of the edge, though I would prefer it ergonomically over the s6, not going to pay a lot more for it.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The edge will cost $100 more than the s6. Eh I can not tell someone that the feel is worth an extra $100, but I will admit that I would likely pay the extra 100 for it.