The Shock-Meister Screaming to an Android Near You Soon

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
howard_stern.jpeg

For fans of the original shock-jock himself, Howard Stern, you'll be happy to learn that he has signed a new five-year contract with Sirius XM. For those users that have a Sirius XM Internet bundle his show will start broadcasting through Android on your existing subscription, (although there is no official word yet of when that might be). For those of us that don't already have a Sirius XM subscription it's only $2.99 per month with a qualifying subscription package. So you have to also pay an additional $12.99/month + RIAA fees.

According to electronista.com he has been on Sirius XM already and is a major reason why subscription rates to satellite radio have increased, but his original contract wouldn't allow them to air his show over the internet. His new contract amends that.

by dgstorm

** Update, thanks for correcting us on the price Ecsa0014!

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, sign me up for a show that MIGHT be live 4 days a week, and what is he up to, 12 weeks of vacation a year? And thats IF he agrees to be streamed on android. If I remember correctly, didnt he also block the online subscription for his channel? Ill save the $50± / quarter and stick to Slacker and Pandora. Thanks anyway. SiriusXM lost me as a customer when they "merged" and gutted the XM lineup.

Ecsa0014

Reaction score
"For those of us that don't already have a Sirius XM subscription it's only $2.99 per month."

Your statement is misleading. Read the page carefully. $2.99/month with a qualifying subscription package. So you have to also pay an additional $12.99/month + RIAA fees. I just cancelled my Sirius subscription a few days ago because I could no longer justify the expense after discovering Pandora, Last FM and Slacker. There are a few shows I will miss on Sirius (ex. Jason Ellis, Howard Stern and Scott Ferrall) but approx $15/month (no streaming) is too much. I'm glad to see Haoward isn't going off the air but I guess I'll no longer be a listener of his.

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, just updated the article.

"For those of us that don't already have a Sirius XM subscription it's only $2.99 per month."

Your statement is misleading. Read the page carefully. $2.99/month with a qualifying subscription package. So you have to also pay an additional $12.99/month + RIAA fees. I just cancelled my Sirius subscription a few days ago because I could no longer justify the expense after discovering Pandora, Last FM and Slacker. There are a few shows I will miss on Sirius (ex. Jason Ellis, Howard Stern and Scott Ferrall) but approx $15/month (no streaming) is too much. I'm glad to see Haoward isn't going off the air but I guess I'll no longer be a listener of his.

lvcircuit

Reaction score
Long over due... Finally I won't have to feel all ghetto for steaming the audio from desktop to my phones RDC app. :)

Reaction score
Yup, sign me up for a show that MIGHT be live 4 days a week, and what is he up to, 12 weeks of vacation a year? And thats IF he agrees to be streamed on android. If I remember correctly, didnt he also block the online subscription for his channel? Ill save the $50± / quarter and stick to Slacker and Pandora. Thanks anyway. SiriusXM lost me as a customer when they "merged" and gutted the XM lineup.

He said on yesterday's show shortly after the announcement that he WILL be streaming to mobile, which includes iPhone and Android and other such platforms/devices.

As for XM being gutted... you can't really gut nothing anyway, so you didn't lose a lot from XM.

AFX

Reaction score
Nice! I'm assuming it will be available when the show starts up again in January?

littlephoenix

Reaction score
i use to love howard when he was on radio, but now that he is on Sirius XM, i dont have it and really dont care to listen to him....but good old days

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As for XM being gutted... you can't really gut nothing anyway, so you didn't lose a lot from XM.

Spoken like a true fanboy. How many commercials a month are you paying for? How long can you listen to a station and hear the same song over and over and over and over? The ONLY thing Sirius had going for them over XM was the comedy channels. As a subscriber to both, I know XM had a larger more diverse library, had better channel lineups per genre, and didnt have to jack up sub rates for an over rated, over paid, has-been hack shell of the former shock jock he once was, until the merger.

Reaction score
Spoken like a true fanboy. How many commercials a month are you paying for? How long can you listen to a station and hear the same song over and over and over and over? The ONLY thing Sirius had going for them over XM was the comedy channels. As a subscriber to both, I know XM had a larger more diverse library, had better channel lineups per genre, and didnt have to jack up sub rates for an over rated, over paid, has-been hack shell of the former shock jock he once was, until the merger.

It's cute a moderator can resort to name calling. I simply pointed out a FACT. That fact was that you lost almost nothing when you lost XM because XM had nothing to begin with. That is why they are now owned by Sirius. I am sorry you are so butt hurt over that.

Commercials? None. Same songs over and over? Hardly as bad as you make it seem and FAR less frequent than XM ever was and how regular radio is even NOW.

I mostly listen to classic rock and metal and occasionally newer stuff. I never hear a commercial on music stations. In fact, the only stations which I listen to and hear commercials on are Howard 100 and Howard 101. Those are there because Sirius needed to have a way for the show to support itself until the company could really own the debt created by acquiring the Howard Stern Show.

But you yourself are the "true fanboy" when you say things like "I know XM had a larger and more diverse library." To me, that is PURE BS because when I had XM, the same songs played repeatedly on the channels that played the newer music.

As for Howard and the show... to me, it's better now than it has ever been. That is my opinion, of course, and I am entitled to it just like you are entitled to your misguided and ignorant opinions of others.

hanzie

Reaction score
glad they will finally start streaming howard, i hate having to download and replay the next day, i never have enough time in my car to listen to the whole show either

nerdkill

Reaction score
i'm so happy about this news. howard also hinted at possibly some sort of a podcast in the future which would be even better. truth is i get every show off of doggcatcher every day over a podcast anyways. i have a lifetime sub and the announcement immediately made me add two additional subs for online streaming, one for myself and one for my wife. i also have 4 friends that i know of that added subs in order to get the mobile streaming.

how anyone can say that the show was better before sirius is out of their mind (imo). when you consider how few commercials you have to listen to and the quality of the show since moving i find it 10 times better. i just miss artie.

it is a bummer on how few days he's on, but that's what you get when you put your time in. if you listen to the show you know that you get well over 4 hours a day and when you add it up you get 5 days a week of show. the reason he gets so much much vacation and time off is because he's put his time in and can get it. it's funny to watch people complain about things like this when they know full well that if they could take 3 months of paid vacation a year they would jump on it. also, do you remember the last sick day he took? oh that's right.... never. you get the deal that you deserve, don't be upset with other people because they worked hard and earned something.

as far as music, i find sirius unlistenable especially after the merger. but sirius truly is not in the music business, or even in the satellite business, they're in the content business. the only reason i have my subs is for ellis and howard. other than that it's worthless (for me).

oh... and bababooey howard sterns p....., i bet tradio is bummmmmmmmmmmmmed.

nerdkill

Reaction score
on a side note it's so annoying to call him the shock meister. what exactly does he do that's shocking? interviewing people? i guess honesty can be shocking... i dunno. whenever i ask someone what howard does that's shocking, or why he's a shock jock they never have an answer. they just know that he is.