T-Mobile Press Event Blows Minds: Amazing Plans, New Phones, LTE & More Full Details

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 26, 2013.

1. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,394
    I recommend you guys get a cheap unlocked device (ie nexus 4) and go to t-mobile and pay 10 bucks for a sim to make sure you will have good coverage in the areas you will be. THe big issue for me about t-mobile is they just do not have enough coverage. If they had the coverage penetration as verizon or att then this would not be a discussion as there would be lines outside t-mobile right now.

2. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,513
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Been there, done that...been battling with that since last May....long long long story lol.

3. npro1464

npro1464 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Unless your getting the Nexus 4 and paying upfront, this is the same thing Sprint has and T-Mobile had before. If you upgrade and push off the costs, you'll have to pay your $200 and pay the rest of the phone off $20/month for 20 months. $70 + $20 = $90. Am I missing anything?

4. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Your right npro1464!!!! This just seems like a bait a switch tactic to me! There is no contract but you pay full retail for the phone and I really dont see any mind blowing savings here. How is this different from there monthly 4g plan? It looks like all they really did is take away the option for a subsidized phone !!!!

5. Jeyman

Jeyman Member

Ratings:
    +1

The only real upside maybe? Tell me if I am reading it right, you get the subsidized price ($20x20months=$200) without a contract. Am I missing something? would this not mean you could get the subsidized price for one month and then move the phone to another WISP?

6. npro1464

npro1464 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm guessing T-Mobile will force you to pay the remainder of the phone if you decide to leave... sort of like an ETF :icon_wink:.

The best route to go is wait for the Nexus 5 (that has LTE), pay the $350 and go with the $70/month plan. I'll say one thing, for pre-paid plans, nothing beats that. Or buy a 3 month old used GSIII for $250.

7. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    There is no subsidized price. Example if you want a Nexus 4- Today online is $49.99 down payment and then $17 a month for 24 months. So you basically pay $458 for the phone ($350 from Google). If you leave Tmobile you still have to pay for phone. Most new premium handsets will be $99.99 down and $20 a month for 24 months which = $580.

8. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Aren't they wrong for making you pay to tether? I thought Verizon got in a lot of legal trouble for making us pay to tether...

This sounds very interesting, and I'm liking the way the CEO starts his press conferences!! Sounds like a down-to-earth kinda guy lol... Once they get LTE running solidly, I'd look at switching when my plan is up!

9. Fuzzball

Fuzzball Member

Ratings:
    +2
    VZW got in trouble because they were violating the terms of the purchase of the 700MHz Block C. They got a small fine of a little over $1m that they recouped in a mater of minutes and changed their plans so tethering is included with tiered data. Unlimited data still can't tether per the ToS and requires an additional fee. No other carrier is bound by these rules.

Edit: Missed the 't in can't.

#33 Fuzzball, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  10. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Ah... Thanks for the explanation.

Well, if we can root the phones on TMo, then those of us in the community will be able to get around this additional charge :)

11. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +4,268
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Works pays for me phone. If (when) I ever have a job that does nto do that: T-Moby here I come.

12. GuiltyBreak

GuiltyBreak Member

Ratings:
    +2
    going to be keeping tabs on T-mobile..very interesting.

Search tags for this page

anyone has tmobile lte in dallas

new plan minds

t mobile lte dallas

tmobile lte