T-Mobile Press Event Blows Minds: Amazing Plans, New Phones, LTE & More Full Details

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 26, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

So, the big press event for T-Mobile just went down this morning and we must say, our minds were blown along with the rest of the journalistic community. T-Mobile is coming out swinging hardcore at their competitors. It is obvious they do not want to remain the fourth place competitor, and with their new plans they likely won't remain that way for long. They truly are taking this "Un-Carrier" thing seriously and its refreshing to see.

First, let's start with the first shock of the event. This was the rough language of the T-Mobile CEO, CEO John Legere, as he made the presentation. He was not holding back at all and his impassioned speech in which he called out the rest of the U.S. carriers really got our attention. Here's are a few slightly censored quotes mashed together that will make it quite obvious why,

This was obviously shocking to hear such candor and unfiltered language at an official press conference. He made it quite clear that consumers shouldn't be locked in to two year contracts and that T-Mobile wants to treat its customers with more respect in this regard. With that said, here are a few details regarding T-Mo's new plans and the way the purchasing of the phones will work.

So, that's the way the monthly pricing plans will work. It looks like the best option for an individual who doesn't need a hotspot is just $70 bucks per month for unlimited everything. The most important detail is that these are not a contract, you can drop them any time you want.

Now, for the phone purchase details. The way it works is actually pretty clever, yet quite simple. Upfront you pay the initial price of $99 down for any of their premium devices, and then a monthly fee of $20 for 20 months with no interest until its paid off. If you mash the two together, that comes out to $90 bucks per month, but you are only obligated to pay off the device, either in payments or all at once. At any time you can take your device somewhere else if you wish as long as you continue to pay for it or pay it off. Doing the math, that $90 bucks is still cheaper than the other carriers, and after less than two years you will be substantially cheaper at just $70 bucks a month, unless you want a new phone at that time. Mr. Lepere claims this is a total of $1000 dollars in savings over the same two year period compared to something similar at AT&T. It's hard to argue that kind of value.

Of course, how good is a cheap plan if you don't have a good data network? That was another thing T-Mobile shared. Apparently they plan to put their newfound investment cash from parent company Deutsche Telekom to good use. T-Mobile claims they will have LTE rolled out to 100 Million Americans by the middle of the year, and another 200 Million (nearly the entire country) by the end of the year. They just flipped the switch on LTE in the following cities already: Baltimore, Houston, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Jose, and Washington D.C. That's welcome news too.

Finally, they shared several new phones and dates for those phones during the press event. T-Mobile will finally get getting the iPhone 5 on April 12th for that same $99 bucks upfront and $20 bucks for 20 months. They will also be getting the HTC One (very soon) for the same price, as well as the Samsung Galaxy S IV on May 1st.

That's the whole skinny. All of us here at HQ are hoping this new concept takes off well. If it does it will pressure the other carriers to get more competitive with their pricing, and that is good for all of us. Share your thoughts on this new industry shake-up from T-Mobile.

Source: PhoneArena

#1 dgstorm, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +771
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    Damn...thats nice. If this is still going on after my ATT contract is up, I'll switch. $70 for unlimited everything...ok.

3. guidot

guidot Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +274
    I'll be picking something up at T-Mobile soon.

;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

4. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    my buddies 4g is fast but his voice cuts in and out wherever he is

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

5. cujo6801

cujo6801 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    :icon_ lala: WE ARE SEEING THE FUTURE

6. Sal R.

Sal R. Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Definitely worth considering once big red throws me off my unlimited data plan.

7. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +678
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    I have three lines, first is up in August, second is up in November, third is not until March 2014. I might have to do some thinking in November, and just pay the fee to kill my third line.

Verizon better step up, or they are going to lose a big chunk of business.

8. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Hmmm..man..I've been playing switch the carrier a lot in the last few months....
    Vzw's service at my house sucks.T-Mobile doesn't...just no 4g yet... and at&t is pretty crappy too...

#8 94lt1, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  9. Xfactorx316

Xfactorx316 Active Member

Ratings:
    +29
    We really need them to get their network up and running. Once it has truly been established I'll gladly jump ship for the lower prices. I'll save 60 bucks a month and have unlimited data on all my lines instead of just mine!

10. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Not good enough. I want unlimited everything including tethering for under $50 on lte network.

11. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +678
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Don't threaten me with a good time T-Mobile. I will take you up on it. :)

12. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Silver Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Becoming more and more attractive, especially considering the issues VZ has with flagship availability. Again, the new Qualcomm chip might fix that, but that still won't fix their ridiculous prices. Would love to jump ship.

Search tags for this page

anyone has tmobile lte in dallas

new plan minds

t mobile lte dallas

tmobile lte