The recent CPU vulnerability and Android security

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
android-security.png

As some of you may have heard recently there have been a large number of security bulletins lately. These stem from some recently discovered holes in all CPU's. The severity depends on CPU architecture as well as Operating System. Google recently posted an update letting us know where Android stands as well as their various other services. Here's what they had to say about Android in particular:

Google Security Blog said:
  • Devices with the latest security update are protected. Furthermore, we are unaware of any successful reproduction of this vulnerability that would allow unauthorized information disclosure on ARM-based Android devices.
  • Supported Nexus and Pixel devices with the latest security update are protected.
  • Further information is available here.

Hopefully this lets you know where your device stands and may give you a reason to upgrade to the latest to patch the security hole. You can read the entire post here: Google Online Security Blog: Today's CPU vulnerability: what you need to know

OP
JohnDroid

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
personally, I am not too worry about it. its been around 20 years and nothing happened :)
The vulnerability wasn't known until recently, now that it's known people WILL exploit it.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure nobody here has anything to worry about. It's those old parents that are still on windows xp that do nothing but shop and pay bills online. Like my parents, but they have updated windows 10 thanks to me!

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
speaking of xp, wonder if microsoft will do an emergency update on xp like they did last year when another major flaw was found.

R

RETG

Got to love the ignorance of the young who believe anyone older than 50 has no idea what to do to keep their information safe on a computer. But I guess living in their parents' basement gives them time to browse the internet and find things to do.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Got to love the ignorance of the young who believe anyone older than 50 has no idea what to do to keep their information safe on a computer. But I guess living in their parents' basement gives them time to browse the internet and find things to do.

amen :)

I think the kids would be surprised how many play ignorance just to get their kid to stop by and visit.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Got to love strangers on the net that make assumptions about those they have no idea about and make themselves look like complete donkeys.
By the way, my parents were born in the 40s

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
speaking of xp, wonder if microsoft will do an emergency update on xp like they did last year when another major flaw was found.

I willing to bet this won't happen as MS is trying to Kill off as Many EOL PCs as they can since they really wanted a Bigger Win 10 Chunk. I bet if they could right now they would Stop Win 7 Support but with Extended Support set till 2020 I think that would Create a Mess for them. This is the Perfect Excuse to get these XP & Vista PCs gone and those Cx to get a Win 10 PC. At my job I still get more than my Fair Share of Vista PCs and trying to explain how they have no more Support is like talking to a Wall. Some cx feel that they should be supported for the Life of the PC. Microsoft says otherwise.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I willing to bet this won't happen as MS is trying to Kill off as Many EOL PCs as they can since they really wanted a Bigger Win 10 Chunk. I bet if they could right now they would Stop Win 7 Support but with Extended Support set till 2020 I think that would Create a Mess for them. This is the Perfect Excuse to get these XP & Vista PCs gone and those Cx to get a Win 10 PC. At my job I still get more than my Fair Share of Vista PCs and trying to explain how they have no more Support is like talking to a Wall. Some cx feel that they should be supported for the Life of the PC. Microsoft says otherwise.

You could be right but there are still a lot of corporations who still pay microsoft for support on their xp machines.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You could be right but there are still a lot of corporations who still pay microsoft for support on their xp machines.
Those get special Access to Updates since they are supported different then typical end user like you or me. Pay to Play is their idea and since they want to limit reg Customers i dont see them making Public Patches for XP.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Those get special Access to Updates since they are supported different then typical end user like you or me. Pay to Play is their idea and since they want to limit reg Customers i dont see them making Public Patches for XP.

they did released a xp public patch last year.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
they did released a XP public patch last year.
This is true but that was a courtesy and is not mandatory for them to do so. They really want people off XP and on Win 01 then they will stop sending Patches for XP & Vista for End Users and just support Paid Business.