Samsung Announces Intention to Offer Android Security Patches Monthly

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-logo-black-background-drop-shadow-mirrored.jpg

It looks like Samsung wants to improve their reputation with customers who want a secure Android device and are nervous about the new Stagefright vulnerability. They just announced their plans to offer monthly Android security updates. Here's a quote with the full press release,

Samsung Electronics will implement a new Android security update process that fast tracks the security patches over the air when security vulnerabilities are uncovered. These security updates will take place regularly about once per month.

Samsung has recently fast tracked security updates to its Galaxy devices with the recent Android Stagefright issues working with the carriers and partners. Acknowledging the importance of time sensitivity in addressing major vulnerabilities, the company plans to further develop this process and implement it as a timely security update practice.

“With the recent security issues, we have been rethinking the approach to getting security updates to our devices in a more timely manner. Since software is constantly exploited in new ways, developing a fast response process to deliver security patches to our devices is critical to keep them protected. We believe that this new process will vastly improve the security of our devices and will aim to provide the best mobile experience possible for our users.” said Dong Jin Koh, Executive Vice President and Head of Mobile Research and Development Office, IT & Mobile Communications at Samsung Electronics.

Samsung is currently in conversation with carriers around the world to implement the new approach. In collaboration with carriers and partners, more details about the specific models and timelines will be released soon.

This seems like a bold and brilliant move by Sammy. It helps customers and it helps them at the same time. All of the Android OEMS should take note and follow suit.

Source: Samsung Announces an Android Security Update Process to Ensure Timely Protection from Security Vulnerabilities Samsung Electronics Official Blog Samsung Tomorrow Samsung Electronics Official Blog

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That's good news for my S5 Phone. I heard Google is doing the same with the Nexus as well, back to the Nexus 7 era

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
How will Samsung get these to our phones?

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, will it come directly from Sammy, or through our provider?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
"Samsung is currently in conversation with carriers around the world to implement the new approach. In collaboration with carriers and partners, more details about the specific models and timelines will be released soon".

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, will it come directly from Sammy, or through our provider?

Right now Samsung bloatware security updates come directly from Samsung. I got one today for my Samsung account itself.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Right now Samsung bloatware security updates come directly from Samsung. I got one today for my Samsung account itself.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Yeah. I'm kinda surprised they'd go through the carriers on this one, but I guess it depends on how deep the patch goes. If an actual change needs to be made to the OS itself instead of placing a band-aid on something through the security policy updates feature that come direct from Samsung, that adds a whole other degree of difficulty.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I wonder how they are going to handle the newly exposed finger print reader hack?