MicroSD Access Vulnerability in Android 2.3/Gingerbread

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sick_andy.jpg

A security vulnerability that allows a hacker to access personal information when the user simply clicks on a web-link with their Android phone has been found by Xuxian Jiang, a computer security researcher at NC State University. The exploit allows a malicious Web-site to read and upload the entire contents of the phone’s microSD card, including saved voicemails, photos or online banking data. This vulnerability is similar to one found on all previous versions of the Anroid OS, and Google thought they had it fixed with Gingerbread. Unfortunately, Mr. Jiang found a way to bypass their new security measures. According to Sources, the best option to protect yourself from this vulnerability is to switch to a third-party browser, such as Firefox, until Google develops a fix.

Yikes! It's a good thing it was found by a researcher before some unscrupulous Malware hacker figured it out.

Source: Engadget

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
... Yikes! It's a good thing it was found by a researcher before some unscrupulous Malware hacker figured it out.

Source: Engadget

Unless they already have, and we just don't know about it. You said use an alternate browser like firefox.. I guess it's just an issue with the stock browser? Too bad firefox isn't supported by Droid1. DolphinBrowser it is!

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's important to make clear - this vulnerability does not currently exist on Froyo?

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Maybe this explains why the Nexus S doesn't have an SD card slot :D :D Talk about conspiracy theories...

brokali

Reaction score
Does that mean I am safe with Miren browser?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Biggdogg76

Reaction score
Does this include ROMS with Gingerbread parts like PE4.2? It is still using the FRG83D so I think it is technically Froyo. Anyone know?