The Official "I got my HTC ONE M8" Thread

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I installed an SSD on my 2009 Macbook Pro and now get a whopping 4.5 hours. I do have a new battery. My Mac Air gets an easy 8-9 hours. I hear the 2014 redesigned Macbook Pro will up there at 8-9. We will see..
My reply to him was a bit of "tongue and cheek". I hardly ever take my laptop off the charger. It's just not needed with the iPad and smartphones.

xxpigxx

Reaction score
Got mine on Tuesday.

Both the wife and I had OG Droids. We then both upgraded to the GNexus on release. I liked that phone in the beginning, but it just became a chore (and slightly expensive). I went through 4 of them since release. 1 had bad radios. The other 3 decided that they did not want to charge anymore (USB slots went bonkers.). Same with my wife's phone. The last GNex that my wife had stopped charging a week ago, so we were playing the switch the battery game (I charge, she discharges lol). On a whim, went to go check out the phones, after seeing the BOGO deals (and yes, knew about the small print. Wife only uses 8gb, so it was alright.) She got her phone, we got the free one on an added line for my daughter. Manager said to come in in 24 hours to switch my old Gnex with the new HTC One M8, so I can keep my unlimited data (funny when the employees are advising you on how to stick it to the man.).

My daughter inherited my old GNex for the time being, and my wife and I both got new ones.

So far, I am VERY happy with this phone. Beautiful screen, awesome sound, nice strong (metal) build. I dislike the non-removable battery, but I can deal. HTC Sense is pretty alright too. The only reasons I will be rooting is to unlock tethering and try and remove the Verizon/Amazon crapware. Won't ROM until I have to.

I am not disappointed at all ;) :icon_ lala:

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I dislike the non-removable battery, but I can deal.
After having several RAZRs, I can say I don't miss the removable battery any more. You get use to it.

If you need to simulate a battery pull because it's locked up, just hold down all 3 buttons (Volume up/down and power) at the same time. It could take up to 5 seconds. It'll reboot no matter what, well, normally...

Cammo

Reaction score
Finally, an Android phone I LOVE! What a quantum leap from the resound. It had good sound but lots of hardware problems. GPS took a LONG time to lock, if it did at all; scrolling was jerkier than a fish on land; but the kicker was the phone started not dialing until about 3 minutes after I pressed call...by then I'd hit it several more times and it would redial & put the original call on hold...what a joke! This thing is perfect size, love the sound, and finally, an android that scrolls as smooth as an iwhat-ever.

Couple of questions...when I disconnect from PC (little disappointed to need a driver, all the others just connected) the phone does not show up in the "safely remove hardware and eject media" menu. Is that normal?

Also, like the Resound, I cannot download email when connected to at least one business wireless network even tho I have authenticated (I can from home, maybe because I have cell service while at work I do not), any ideas why?

Not real crazy with the "soft menu keys"...how do you get the settings menu for apps that used the old hardware key?

Cammo

Reaction score
More l o v e for the M8...Even though I'm not crazy about having to DL a driver on any PC I want to use for data transfer, I discovered I was able to continue streaming while downloading new items to the SDHC...How cool is that?!

M8DROID

Reaction score
Greeting group. I just got my M8 two days ago. I had the M7 for about 5 months and loved it. The only thing I'm lacking now...I loved my "Mophie" case that went well with my M7. I loved that case, and the extra battery life it supplied me with. Anyone know if mophie plans on putting out a case for the M8...or if there is already one out?. And wow...the phone is super fast. Changed my launcher to Apex.....it's just such a simple launcher and has never given me problems. I did purchase the Nove launcher..and will probably play with that later. Now for my question...my M8 is on the Verizon network. When I power my phone on, it goes to the regular home screen...which then you have to swipe to access the phone. But on the screen from boot up....I have three icons at the bottom by the swipe key. "Phone" , "Chrome", and "Message" icons. I guess they are suppose to be quick access keys...because when you swipe them up it lets you access them without having to unlock the phone. I hope this makes sense. I want to know if there is a way to remove those icons from that screen. Also when I push the power button to put the phone to sleep when I wake it up...it's the regular home screen with those 3 icons there. To me it just looks bad. I want my home screen to just have my wallpaper and my clock and weather widget. I want to have to swipe and unlock to access everything else. Tomorrow I will try to upload a photo. Thanks.

djakrse

Reaction score
Greeting group. I just got my M8 two days ago. I had the M7 for about 5 months and loved it. The only thing I'm lacking now...I loved my "Mophie" case that went well with my M7. I loved that case, and the extra battery life it supplied me with. Anyone know if mophie plans on putting out a case for the M8...or if there is already one out?. And wow...the phone is super fast. Changed my launcher to Apex.....it's just such a simple launcher and has never given me problems. I did purchase the Nove launcher..and will probably play with that later. Now for my question...my M8 is on the Verizon network. When I power my phone on, it goes to the regular home screen...which then you have to swipe to access the phone. But on the screen from boot up....I have three icons at the bottom by the swipe key. "Phone" , "Chrome", and "Message" icons. I guess they are suppose to be quick access keys...because when you swipe them up it lets you access them without having to unlock the phone. I hope this makes sense. I want to know if there is a way to remove those icons from that screen. Also when I push the power button to put the phone to sleep when I wake it up...it's the regular home screen with those 3 icons there. To me it just looks bad. I want my home screen to just have my wallpaper and my clock and weather widget. I want to have to swipe and unlock to access everything else. Tomorrow I will try to upload a photo. Thanks.

It's the icons from blinkfeed which are displayed in the stock lockscreen. If you want to get rid of them, remove the icons from the dock in blinkfeed, the default homescreen

Sent from my Tapatalk-abusing M8

M8DROID

Reaction score
It's the icons from blinkfeed which are displayed in the stock lockscreen. If you want to get rid of them, remove the icons from the dock in blinkfeed, the default homescreen

Fantastic! Worked like a gem. Now I have my simple clean look. Thanks!!!!

djakrse

Reaction score
Fantastic! Worked like a gem. Now I have my simple clean look. Thanks!!!!

You're welcome. Enjoy your new phone, and feel free to use one of my wallpapers. ;)

M8DROID

Reaction score
You're welcome. Enjoy your new phone, and feel free to use one of my wallpapers. ;)

Thanks. Is there a "for sale" section. I was going to offer my "Mophie" case for someone with the HTC ONE. And any ideas on the best sites for some good cases for the M8. I have the "INCIPIO" now. Also watched a video on how to access the SD card slot...does that tool come with the phone. I must have missed it when I was so excited to get my M8.