The end of the TBolt custom ROMs.....

pogibry

Reaction score
Is it just me or have you all been noticing that support for this phone has been.....slowly dying away? I'll be the first to say that it probably should happen since the phone is sooooo old and there are a ton of better phones out there, but I dunno; it's makes me kinda sad. Every week I would see a new ROM and current posts and responses; now, no new roms and a response maybe once a week. I'm thinking/hoping this will all change when we finally get ICS. What do you all think?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
What more do you want? There's plenty to choose from, both aosp and sense. We can't get ICS ROMs until the RIL leaks. Just hang tight.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I have to chime in here, you both have excellent points... We have plenty of ROMs, however lately I have been really REALLY agitated at all the broken links to download these ROMs. I'm running stock rooted because CM7 is the only other working ROM out there with a working download link. So yes, when ICS comes, we should probably all be contently using it, but until then....kinda ghost towny.

So if anyone has the ROM Vicious MIUI GB from anytime really, please, please dropbox it or something. I would totally appreciate it!

Reaction score
Check out Rootzwiki and XDA. That's where all the development is. I'm running Thundershed 1.6 which is awesome and was updated in June. There are also a couple of relatively recent Sense ROMs there.

Tapatalked from the Thundershed!

Droiduto

Reaction score
Thunderbolt is Old but none of the new phones have all of its features

I was inclined to change my TB for a newer faster, loger life battery phone. However none of the new phones from any of the manufacturers offer a kickstand and a battery I can easily swap, there are other things too but i am not willing to live without those too. I hope manufacturers take notes and port the features to newer phones.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I think HTC (the only major manufacturer of phones with kickstands) is going the kickstand-case route, as seen with the One X. But I'm not liking the lack of removable battery, plus the boot loader thing, we all know Verizon is behind making great phones like the Galaxy S III have locked boot loaders...

So I think its the end of an era, but while I'll keep my Thunderbolt and unlimited data as long as possible, I don't see myself with Verizon much longer... Really why would anyone choose Verizon over say, Sprint there's no point in having a dominating 4G LTE network when your customers can't use it for more than casual and OCCASIONAL web activities, 4GB can't be more than a couple of hours on facetime.

Droiduto

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more

I will too leave Verizon, for which ever company at the time will offer me good quality service and unlimited data. Not willing to be checking every couple of hours to check my usage. Virgin Mobil has some good offers too, as a couple of other good companies do. I have Verizon for a very long time,since it was Qualcom Communications. No big complaints until now with the limiting of data. The unlocked boot loader is very important to me too.

Caesars

Reaction score
Look into no contract routes as well, tons of options exist that will save you 30-50 a month.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Well if i change my plan at all I feel like I'm losing unlimited...

But I like what I'm seeing from regional carriers such as Cricket and Virgin, they all have unlimited and now offer off contract iPhones. That plus the lack of unlimited in AT&T, Verizon, and technically T-Mobile leads me to think regional carriers are on the rise for competing with the big three...

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I will also add that a lot about what I liked in the Thunderbolt is fading, turns out I don't use the kickstand much at all, simultaneous voice and data over 3G is no big deal now that 4G is getting closer to covering all the 3G spots, and because of that special radio of ours, we are literally one of maybe two high end 4G phones without fully working Ice Cream Sandwich....

Of course if we upgrade with decent pricing, we lose unlimited data....

kparks

Reaction score
jimmyco2008 said:
I will also add that a lot about what I liked in the Thunderbolt is fading, turns out I don't use the kickstand much at all, simultaneous voice and data over 3G is no big deal now that 4G is getting closer to covering all the 3G spots, and because of that special radio of ours, we are literally one of maybe two high end 4G phones without fully working Ice Cream Sandwich....

Of course if we upgrade with decent pricing, we lose unlimited data....

LOL I use my kickstand alot when Im actually texting and Idk why but I like it out and I put my hand under it and pointer over it

Last edited:

geoff5093

Reaction score
First of all the ROM section here is horrible, 99% of the ROM's are over on XDA and RootzWiki. I'm running Thundershed 1.6 which is CM-based, and absolutely love it, makes the phone as fast as the new ones out there. Once ICS is released there will be more dev support and new ROM's, but for now there isn't much more that can be done that hasn't already been done.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Yep, but what about Jelly Bean, Key Lime Pie/Kandy Kane? Will we have to wait on HTC for those too? As if they'll update the Thunderbolt that far, they got our money...

With that in mind, I encourage everyone to ditch the Thunderbolt in favor of a phone that can actually get fully working ICS or has before the manufacturer, be it Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Yep, but what about Jelly Bean, Key Lime Pie/Kandy Kane? Will we have to wait on HTC for those too? As if they'll update the Thunderbolt that far, they got our money...

With that in mind, I encourage everyone to ditch the Thunderbolt in favor of a phone that can actually get fully working ICS or has before the manufacturer, be it Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc.
We got the upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3, and several more OTA updates to fix various issue. It would be nice to get ICS, but GB is working great at the moment. Who can imagine the number of bugs with the first ICS update?