Thanks For Paying: How The Freemium Model Is Destroying Android Gaming.......

AndroidDissected

Authorized Affiliate
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.androiddissected.com

I have been a gamer for about 20 years longer than the term has existed. I cut my teeth on the Atari 2600, have seen consoles live and die, and put more quarters into arcade machines that I care to remember. When it came time to find a real job, I made my career in video game retail, spending just shy of a decade with national chains such as Game Crazy and GameStop. I say this because I want you to know the foundations of the soapbox I am about to get up on when I explain to you why the current business model for mobile gaming on Android is completely broken.

DLC vs. IAP

We need to start by drawing some distinctions, terminology wise, between Download Content (DLC) and In App Purchases (IAP). DLC came about in the mainstream gaming market from a need to extend the life-cycle of titles, while providing users with a steady stream of new content. This approach offers everything from cosmetic enhancements and multi-player add-ons, to full-fledged campaign additions for single player. DLC stands alone from the original title purchase, and is not a requirement for play, but there is usually a compelling reason to pick it up. Call Of Duty Players know this all too well.

Read more on AndroidDissected.com

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
If I really like the game, I'll play it as long as I can without $ and then stop. If I love it, I'll give a couple bucks for an upgrade (Real Racing 3 for example)