Text to multiple contacts?

windstrings

Reaction score
How do I send a text message to groups or multiple contacts?

I really don't want to have to type the message each time and/or have to send eight different sends to text eight different people?

Stigy

Reaction score
After you are done typing in the first person's name, click in the To: field again and the first contact will have a comma after it.

You can type another address to send to in the box.

Chigga311

Reaction score
That same method does not work for SMS with Google Voice though.

Is there a way to have multiple Contacts with GV SMS???

Stigy

Reaction score
That same method does not work for SMS with Google Voice though.

Is there a way to have multiple Contacts with GV SMS???
Technically it does if you send SMS to all their (406) numbers, but besides that I am not 100% sure.

I don't use GV for SMS so I am not the best person to answer your question.

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
After you are done typing in the first person's name, click in the To: field again and the first contact will have a comma after it.

You can type another address to send to in the box.

Would be nice to browse the contacts as its hard to remember which number goes with what.

It behaves exactly like google email does... I guess that makes sense.

But not being able to send to groups is a step backwards.....
Try typing in all those addresses while driving down the road!

The print is very tiny too.

billyNOTnice

Reaction score
use handcent to text message. allows you to send to multiples just by scrolling and checking boxes.

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
use handcent to text message. allows you to send to multiples just by scrolling and checking boxes.

No kiddin?.. they should say that in thier ad, I bet it would be more popular.. .I'll try it.. thanks!

Which one are you talking about?.. there are several...

I'm assuming it must be "Handcent SMS?"

------------------------
EDIT added later....

Absolutely amazing!... like having a whole new set of settings and tweaks too for the phone....

works perfect so far!... thanks so much.. I have been pulling my hair out for days and talked to multiple techs about this!

Why didn't they integrate this in the first place?.... and this is free?.... amazing!....

Google needs to give this app some attention and work a deal.

Character count, Quicktext.. it fixed a multitude of issues I was having with the pda world that lacks some of the good features of the cellphone world.... handscent has marriaged them together much better.

Last edited:

thesweetstevie

Reaction score

No kiddin?.. they should say that in thier ad, I bet it would be more popular.. .I'll try it.. thanks!

------------------------
EDIT added later....

Absolutely amazing!... like having a whole new set of settings and tweaks too for the phone....

works perfect so far!... thanks so much.. I have been pulling my hair out for days and talked to multiple techs about this!

Why didn't they integrate this in the first place?.... and this is free?.... amazing!....

Character count, Quicktext.. it fixed a multitude of issues I was having with the pda world that lacks some of the good features of the cellphone world.... handscent has marriaged them together much better.
is there a way to change the characters you can enter? 160 is not enough.

thank you

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score

------------------------
EDIT added later....

is there a way to change the characters you can enter? 160 is not enough.

thank you

I'm speaking about what I "think" I know, but I"m new to this pda stuff too.

We are not limited on our end but too many other carriers and phones are... so it appears handscent counts up to 160, then you will see a little number to the right indicating "that's one message" and as you letter continues and it reaches close to 160 again, you will then see a "2", indicating "thats two messages" and it continues... each letter you add up limits the total characters of the next letter as I assume it takes some character space for the table of contents.
It may look something like this (134/153)3

The recipient should get 3 separate emails that continue seamlessly as your letter continues if you wrote one that long "over 320 characters total".

If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will correct me but I think thats the way it works.. but haven't tested it yet.

I know I've received similar message before from people with pda/blackberry devices.

Stigy

Reaction score
I'm speaking about what I "think" I know, but I"m new to this pda stuff too.

We are not limited on our end but too many other carriers and phones are... so it appears handscent counts up to 160, then you will see a little number to the right indicating "that's one message" and as you letter continues and it reaches close to 160 again, you will then see a "2", indicating "thats two messages" and it continues... each letter you add up limits the total characters of the next letter as I assume it takes some character space for the table of contents.
It may look something like this (134/153)3

The recipient should get 3 separate emails that continue seamlessly as your letter continues if you wrote one that long "over 320 characters total".

If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will correct me but I think thats the way it works.. but haven't tested it yet.

I know I've received similar message before from people with pda/blackberry devices.

That is correct.

The 160 character restriction is put in by all carriers for text messages. If you type more than 160 characters in your message it will be delivered as separate text messages to the recipient. Even if someone sends you a text message longer than 160 characters you will receive multiple text messages.

This is not a restriction of the phone, but of SMS itself.

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
That is correct.

The 160 character restriction is put in by all carriers for text messages. If you type more than 160 characters in your message it will be delivered as separate text messages to the recipient. Even if someone sends you a text message longer than 160 characters you will receive multiple text messages.

This is not a restriction of the phone, but of SMS itself.

Good to know... the Dare I had before would simply truncate the message at 160 characters to non verizon carriers and they simply wouldn't get the end of the message at all.....

At least now it appears we have no issues as such.

hero

Reaction score
any known bugs/problems with this app? sounds like a good one.

ChiliSky

Reaction score
Thanks for the information when I get to work I will upload and try it. (country living is great till you don't have cell service):mad: