text message notification issue

droidsterNJ

Reaction score
Hello all
I recently upgraded from my original Droid to the Razr. In my old Droid I had my wife listed in the
Contacts under both her own name (will call her Paula) as well as under "Emergency contact". After
I upgraded to the Razr all these contacts moved over. However now when I get a text message from my
wife the notification says the message is from "Emergency Contact" whereas I'd like it to say "Paula" like
on my old phone. I figured this might be because the phone # appears twice and it's probably picking
the match that's first in alphabetic order. So I deleted the emergency contact entry, but the problem
didn't go away. Her messages still show up as "Emergency Contact" in the notification bar, although when
I click on the notification and the text message app opens up it correctly identifies the sender (shows "Paula")

Can someone please help me? How do I reset/refresh the contacts list "cached" by the notifier?

Thanks in advance
SC

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hello all
I recently upgraded from my original Droid to the Razr. In my old Droid I had my wife listed in the
Contacts under both her own name (will call her Paula) as well as under "Emergency contact". After
I upgraded to the Razr all these contacts moved over. However now when I get a text message from my
wife the notification says the message is from "Emergency Contact" whereas I'd like it to say "Paula" like
on my old phone. I figured this might be because the phone # appears twice and it's probably picking
the match that's first in alphabetic order. So I deleted the emergency contact entry, but the problem
didn't go away. Her messages still show up as "Emergency Contact" in the notification bar, although when
I click on the notification and the text message app opens up it correctly identifies the sender (shows "Paula")

Can someone please help me? How do I reset/refresh the contacts list "cached" by the notifier?

Thanks in advance
SC

Well, what you could do is delete all contact records that reference that phone number first. To see what contacts reference that phone number, go into the dialpad on the phone and type the number in. In the window above, a list will begin to appear as the OS finds matches. As you type each additional digit of the phone number it will eliminate any that don't match until it winds up with any matches for the full 10 digit phone number. You may find that you have more than one copy and not realize it. If the one you believe is the only one turns out to be the only one, then I'd delete it altogether, and then reboot the phone. Once rebooted, recreate the number contact and save it. Otherwise delete the duplicate that is named "Emergency contact". Then before you quit, scroll to the top of the contacts list and you'll see a big RED "+ In case of emergency". You will have 3 slots in there where you can add your first 3 emergency contacts and notes for each corresponding contact. Since it doesn't create a new contact for those In Case of Emergency (ICE) contacts but instead simply links to existing contacts, you'll not have to deal with the issue you had been experiencing and you'll still have the benefit.

OP
D

droidsterNJ

Reaction score
that worked!

That worked!
Thank you so much. Really, really appreciate your help

Regards
SC