Text Input

mbizzles

Reaction score
Hello!

Thank you for reading and helping out.

I just got a Motorola Droid Bionic and I'm having some trouble getting everything configured (there are WAY more options that with my 3 year old Crackberry).

First...I'm not a fan of the text input. I don't like having the predictive text on because I find that line of predicted words annoying. However, writing contractions (like I'm or I'll or can't) is super annoying because you have to go between the letters keyboard and symbols keyboard, but use shift. On my Blackberry, I would be able to type "im" and it would automatically change it to I'm.

So is there a setting I'm missing or perhaps an app to download that adds apostrophes correctly to make contractions and also capitalizes I???

Thanks!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forums!

I use the Swype keyboard that comes pre-installed with the Bionic. It does add the apostrophes and capitalizes "I". You can access it by either doing a long press in the text area (which will bring up the Input Method) or go to Settings>Language & keyboard and then Input Method.

If you don't like that there are several keyboards apps to try out.

OP
M

mbizzles

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forums!

I use the Swype keyboard that comes pre-installed with the Bionic. It does add the apostrophes and capitalizes "I". You can access it by either doing a long press in the text area (which will bring up the Input Method) or go to Settings>Language & keyboard and then Input Method.

If you don't like that there are several keyboards apps to try out.

Thank you! However, I'm not a fan of Swype. I guess I'm too old-fashioned (at 26 :) ) and just like typing the actual letters.

Any recs on which keyboard app?

Preferably one that you can add things to its dictionary. For example "ill." I use it more as I'll instead of ill. So, on my BB I created a rule to change ill to I'll.

Thanks again!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
+1 for Swiftkey. I didn't want a 3rd party app for the keyboard, but kept hearing great things about it so I tried it out, and I'm glad I did. It has predictive text, but it shows up as the top 3 most likely words, and it chooses those words based on your typing history, which is great. It makes it much much easier to type, plus the keys seem easier to hit.

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
Swype has the potential to be an incredible option but it can create some serious typos.

OP
M

mbizzles

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I decided to download a new keyboard app. I got SmartKeyboard Pro. I love it so far.