Text Input Needs Major Improvement

bobcat124_23462

Reaction score
Does anyone else completely hate the qwerty keyboard on this thing? And its retarded ability to predict your words? This is really my only complaint. My D1 was the best in this department. And the voice input doesn't capitalize the first word. Writing emails on this phone is a painful experience - having to type almost every letter of every word and go back and fix its mistakes. Do I have to install a new app for text input?

Other than that, I love this phone (as long as I use the extended battery)

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App with POS text input (go ahead and type the words 'battery', 'type', 'input' and 'ahead' and watch its suggestions)

trebb

Reaction score
I definitely prefer my DX's keyboard, but I'm getting used to it.

There are so many different options for keyboards. Swype, SwiftKey, smart keyboard pro, etc....

Blackhawk55

Reaction score
Yep, there are several threads here discussing the keyboard alternatives. I've been most happy with Swiftkey. Free 30-day trial. $1.99 purchase price. Prediction is uncanny.

stuigi

Reaction score
Try calibrating the keyboard
settings > language&keyboard > touch input > text input > calibration tool

I was having numerous mistakes and this resolved my issues

want a droid

Reaction score
I'm using the SwiftKey trial as well and the keyboard is a ton more responsive than the stock keyboard. I can actually type fast without having to pause so the phone can register my keystroke.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

UCGoody1

Reaction score
The first keyboard I downloaded was the Gingerbread (free) one.
Since then I've downloaded nearly everything else out there.
I switched back to the Gingerbread because I still like it the best.

Jacquiroze

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with the keyboard. The prediction feature is making me crazy and if I want to capitalize a letter mid sentence I have to hit the up arrow. I wish I could just hold the key down for a second to post a cap letter. I love the phone tremendously, so now it's just a matter of working through the kinks.

BSG4893

Reaction score
I was having the same issues. I for one type really fast and any time i was typing on this keyboard if 2 letters were really close together it would automatically pick one and eliminate the other based off of what it thought i was trying to do lol... I've went with swype instead and i love it.

OP
B

bobcat124_23462

Reaction score
I started using SwiftKey that the guys above suggested. It's the bomb! It learns how you type and darn near writes your text for you.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

nateccnn

Reaction score
So...I tried several keyboards just now. Swift Keyboard, Gingerbread and Better Keyboard. Compared them all the the stock touch input. All four had the same number of errors...albeit different errors. All four had things I like but none had everything I like. I like the cursor keys in the stock keyboard. I have not learned to use them inutitively yet but see them as being a great asset of the keyboard. But they take up space and make it harder to learn the actual keys.

I was getting really good at typing on my OG droid. But I recall having the same problems when I first got that phone. It seems to me that the predicitve text is using the custom dictionary and the more you type the more that file gets populated...the more you begin to like that keyboard. I wonder if I could export the custom dictionary from my OG Droid and place it on my TB???

I can't say I like any one of the four I tested better than the others. I can say they all have unique features I like. I really like Gingerbread's feature with a long press for the question mark. I really like stock keyboard's cursor keys. But at the end of the day, I suck at typing on all four of them.

I guess the key to making it a better experience is at first you have to watch your mistakes and hit the back space before typing the next word so it changes the word back to what you typed and then stores that word in the custom dictionary. If you fly throught the document and then go back to correct words after finishing the doc it never updates the custom dictionary.

Nate

tu3218

Reaction score
I downloaded the gingerbread keyboard and all I can say is I found my keyboard. This keyboard trumps all the others inlcluding swype, stock, and swiftkey. I can actually type fast on this keyboard. I would recommend everyone to try it if your having keyboard problems. Its free, so its worth a shot.