What's the future of Smartphone

• Improved power/Ghz from the CPU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Improved battery life from CPU

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

y0manda

Reaction score
It's not the cpu that kills the battery, it's the display. TI is pissing in the wind.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

DawsonMobley

Reaction score
So, this question has been in the back of my mind for the longest time, but I sadly just realized it while reading through this thread...

Why is it that Intel is not in on the whole mobile processor deal? It seems to me that given their success in the PC world, they could spank companies like NVIDIA up and down the street, all day long (this coming from a guy who swears by NVIDIA cards). And since they have been trekking through "netbook" type processors for a few years now, how much of a downsize are we talking? Or is there some crucial detail I am missing, besides battery consumption, when it comes to actual computer processors vs. those found in today's smartphones?

Intel is working on improving the power efficiency of their atom proc's to the point that they can compete in the smartphone market...at least thats what I read recently in MaximumPC mag.

as for an all day battery....my d1 battery already lasts about 12 hours listening to audio books over Bluetooth when I'm working. On the weekends I sometimes still have 70% of my battery left by the end of a day...granted I'm not the type that sits around playing with my phone constantly.

jtnktz

Reaction score
Why don't they put LED screens in our phones rather than LCD? I know LED uses next to nothing power?

gravitysucks

Reaction score
Well you can have awesome power and life by rooting :)

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

DawsonMobley

Reaction score
Why don't they put LED screens in our phones rather than LCD? I know LED uses next to nothing power?

Led is the backlight, not the display type. TV manufacturers have created this misconception that led tv's are not LCD tvs...it's still a LCD tv, it just uses led's for the backlight instead of ccfl (cold cathode florescent tubes).

I'm not sure if led's are used for the backlight on any smartphones or not...the power savings would be minimal at any rate.

True Oled displays are probably a better solution anyway.

aldrichg9

Reaction score
Well you can have awesome power and life by rooting :)

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

^^^ THIS

Today I was in the office today so I had good signal all day long.
Display is at 18%, Voice Calls at 26%

Only time my battery doesn't make it through the day is when I am in the middle of nowhere with no signal all day and phone is searching for it all day long.

Oh - Running SS 5.2 at 1.0ghz

Better cellular/ radio technology would help my battery life more than processor technology but maybe its because I don't play games and watch youtube videos all day long.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Agree the display is the big battery hog.

As for power, I think needs on a phone are fairly limited by, again, the screen size. The need for power lay in an HDMI out or something like Webtop where you hook-up an external monitor or plug it into a lapdock - all things for which the phone could draw power from the external monitor source or not really a big deal to plug your phone in (i.e. not really "mobile" uses).

When these phone inevitably become the "guts" of a computing device, plugging into various docks, that is what you need the power for and I don't think all-day battery for such use is completely necessary (not that laptops don't have battery issues, but expecting your phone to do that all-day on a smaller battery isn't remotely realistic).

Just give me enough power for the screen to stay on all day with a few widgets running.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
On my D3 the display is never the biggest killer of my battery. It's usually around 10%. They do need to focus on battery life though. It would also be good if there was a breakthrough in battery technology sometime soon.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Red Droid

Reaction score
A little off the original topic...

...but if the manufacturers are planning to help battery life through use of debtor docks and other external hardware, they may be surprised.

Why would I want to spend $400 and have to lug a dock around that has less functionality than my netbook? I paid $250 for an N455, 1Gb of memory, a 250Gb HD, WiFi, and 8 hours of battery life.

The docks are neat, but are they really worth the money, wear and tear on the phone. Let's not forget the case must be removed before docking, just another pain. What happens when you upgrade the phone? Oh, another useless electronic device. Not really interested.

darkmatter

Reaction score
On my D3 the display is never the biggest killer of my battery. It's usually around 10%. They do need to focus on battery life though. It would also be good if there was a breakthrough in battery technology sometime soon.

As much as people hate on the d3 screen, you have to love how energy efficient it is. Its really not that bad anyway, you have to actually look for the flaws, most of the time its unnoticeable. HD vids look great, and highly visible in sunlight. Imo, the pros of the d3 screen heavily outweigh the cons.

(I personally can't stand samsungs grossly oversaturated screens anyway)

powtow

Reaction score
when comes to performance vs. battery life, in this case i had to vote for battery..it's useless to have high performance cellphone bound to power outlets all the time..this almost negates the terms of 'mobile'..

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
As much as people hate on the d3 screen, you have to love how energy efficient it is. Its really not that bad anyway, you have to actually look for the flaws, most of the time its unnoticeable. HD vids look great, and highly visible in sunlight. Imo, the pros of the d3 screen heavily outweigh the cons.

(I personally can't stand samsungs grossly oversaturated screens anyway)

I have to agree with you on all that except the Samsung screen part (I actually like them). But yeah, most times the pixelation isn't that big a deal. I am quite happy with the display on my D3.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I vote battery.. nothing annoys me more then a dying batt... I'm a pretty heavy user but most days I barely get to lunch time and I'm at 20%

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The docks are neat, but are they really worth the money, wear and tear on the phone. Let's not forget the case must be removed before docking, just another pain. What happens when you upgrade the phone? Oh, another useless electronic device. Not really interested.

Agreed with your perspective on docks RIGHT NOW, but phones are very close to being powerful enough to do this. The lack of utility is not the dock itself which is mostly just a shell, it's the limitation of ram and cpu in the phones (which we are rapidly climbing that curve).

As for the case, my D1 has been naked since my case warped/cracked over a year ago. And truthfully it added too much bulk to my D1. When I get the Bionic, I may consider a case. But on top of that, there's nothing to prevent a "compartment" type of set-up where you just plug an HDMI cord into your phone and strap it in or something.

That's the future and I'm looking forward to it when I can just buy a shell laptop and/or tablet easily connect my phone. That said, I'm interested how these CPU ratings really compare with PC's - I have my doubts a dual core-1ghz performs as well as the same on a PC (and it's more than just ram). IMO the docks/shells don't become a useful reality until phones have at least dual-core 2ghz with 2 gigs of ram (realistically more like 4gigs of ram for some of the video, spreadsheets and powerpoints business users would want to run).

I also don't know, really, how they handle heat dissipation which may be the real roadblock here. The mid-tier laptops with the kind of power I'm talking about don't run hot, but you have, what, 5X the space a bunch of vents and a couple of fans?

Crf450r420

Reaction score
both

Smart phones are nothing without the speed and they only get better with more speed. Keep it coming and those who need to can run them in saver mode.

Yes battery is a must, but that is what I constantly get iPhone users on. I love to hear them say I don't want to run my battery down. That is when I pull my spare from my pocket and smile. Batteries are coming along and actually there are already new ones in the works. Just give it some time.

In the mean time, it would be nice to standardize batteries more. Having fewer different ones would make them cheaper and easier to lend out.

More docks will help, but they are currently to hard and exact. We need more of those wireless charge pad style docks, which are currently under supported both in the systems and the supported phones.