Texas Instrument Promise All Day Battery Life

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Aug 5, 2011.

?

What's the future of Smartphone

1. Improved power/Ghz from the CPU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Improved battery life from CPU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FrellingFrakker

Ratings:
    +0
    I never said I wanted them to stop making phones more powerful; I would just rather see an increased focus on improved batter life first.

2. NeoPhoenixTE

NeoPhoenixTE Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I read the headline from Twitter on this (TI promises all day battery life) and I had two initial responses:

1.) "...we shall see! Bahaha." Or "Nerds of the world, please join me for an 'o rly?' of epic proportions"

2.) "...wait, TI makes batteries now?"

Now I can see I was totally off. Guess I'll get to go buy that expanded battery after all. :p

3. Tillmorn

Tillmorn Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    So, this question has been in the back of my mind for the longest time, but I sadly just realized it while reading through this thread...

Why is it that Intel is not in on the whole mobile processor deal? It seems to me that given their success in the PC world, they could spank companies like NVIDIA up and down the street, all day long (this coming from a guy who swears by NVIDIA cards). And since they have been trekking through "netbook" type processors for a few years now, how much of a downsize are we talking? Or is there some crucial detail I am missing, besides battery consumption, when it comes to actual computer processors vs. those found in today's smartphones?

4. y0manda

y0manda Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It's not the cpu that kills the battery, it's the display. TI is pissing in the wind.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

5. DawsonMobley

DawsonMobley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Intel is working on improving the power efficiency of their atom proc's to the point that they can compete in the smartphone market...at least thats what I read recently in MaximumPC mag.

as for an all day battery....my d1 battery already lasts about 12 hours listening to audio books over Bluetooth when I'm working. On the weekends I sometimes still have 70% of my battery left by the end of a day...granted I'm not the type that sits around playing with my phone constantly.

6. jtnktz

jtnktz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't they put LED screens in our phones rather than LCD? I know LED uses next to nothing power?

7. gravitysucks

gravitysucks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well you can have awesome power and life by rooting :)

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

8. DawsonMobley

DawsonMobley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Led is the backlight, not the display type. TV manufacturers have created this misconception that led tv's are not LCD tvs...it's still a LCD tv, it just uses led's for the backlight instead of ccfl (cold cathode florescent tubes).

I'm not sure if led's are used for the backlight on any smartphones or not...the power savings would be minimal at any rate.

True Oled displays are probably a better solution anyway.

9. aldrichg9

aldrichg9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^^^ THIS

Today I was in the office today so I had good signal all day long.
    Display is at 18%, Voice Calls at 26%

Only time my battery doesn't make it through the day is when I am in the middle of nowhere with no signal all day and phone is searching for it all day long.

Oh - Running SS 5.2 at 1.0ghz

Better cellular/ radio technology would help my battery life more than processor technology but maybe its because I don't play games and watch youtube videos all day long.

10. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Agree the display is the big battery hog.

As for power, I think needs on a phone are fairly limited by, again, the screen size. The need for power lay in an HDMI out or something like Webtop where you hook-up an external monitor or plug it into a lapdock - all things for which the phone could draw power from the external monitor source or not really a big deal to plug your phone in (i.e. not really "mobile" uses).

When these phone inevitably become the "guts" of a computing device, plugging into various docks, that is what you need the power for and I don't think all-day battery for such use is completely necessary (not that laptops don't have battery issues, but expecting your phone to do that all-day on a smaller battery isn't remotely realistic).

Just give me enough power for the screen to stay on all day with a few widgets running.

11. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    On my D3 the display is never the biggest killer of my battery. It's usually around 10%. They do need to focus on battery life though. It would also be good if there was a breakthrough in battery technology sometime soon.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

12. Red Droid

Red Droid Member

Ratings:
    +4
    A little off the original topic...

...but if the manufacturers are planning to help battery life through use of debtor docks and other external hardware, they may be surprised.

Why would I want to spend $400 and have to lug a dock around that has less functionality than my netbook? I paid $250 for an N455, 1Gb of memory, a 250Gb HD, WiFi, and 8 hours of battery life.

The docks are neat, but are they really worth the money, wear and tear on the phone. Let's not forget the case must be removed before docking, just another pain. What happens when you upgrade the phone? Oh, another useless electronic device. Not really interested.