What's the future of Smartphone

• Improved power/Ghz from the CPU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Improved battery life from CPU

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

drkow19

Reaction score
Smartphones are at the point now where even mid-tier models are more than powerful enough for the average user and even most droidforums type users. I think that better battery life is a much better goal (and probably more profitable) than who can get to 20 cores first.
Hehe. I completely DISAGREE. More than powerful enough? To say that about technology is considered heresy. They said that in 1995 when we had 16 mb of RAM in computers. They will never stop getting faster, and there will always be tasks or applications that can eventually make good use of all the power. But no, yeah lets just stop here since this guy is happy with his D2, lol.

It's not just a race to a number of cores, it is a never-ending cycle with computer technology. I think what we are seeing right now is a stall in battery tech which is causing people to become angry, and wonder why in 20 years they can't improve battery life in a cell-phone. Eventually we will get our 2-5 days of battery life in a super-powerful phone so we just have to wait it out.

I never said I wanted them to stop making phones more powerful; I would just rather see an increased focus on improved batter life first.

Gotcha... and to be fair, what I referred to was talking about desktop PCs and power. The mobile game is a whole different beast. Manufacturers are still trying to see what works and what people want. For example Motorola initially said ALL DROIDS SHALL HAVE IPS SCREENS, but now they are saying POWER SAVING PENTILE SCREENS. There really is no right answer.

Lord knows why battery technology has not advanced much in the past 20 years. Sure we have lithium ion or whatever, but that was really the last breakthrough to make it to the market yet, and those batteries have got to be over 10 years old by now. I read Engadget and you always hear them talking about some new nanotube battery, but they are just demos and will not be ready for primetime until 2020. It stinks! But yeah I think I mentioned it in a previous post, I think we can basically solve this dilemma with the next generation of CPUs, coming in 2013. They are using a smaller die size, which not only makes the chip smaller but reduces the amount of power required to run the chip. I would like to see manufacturers make a phone that has one of these future chipsets, but is just as big as my Droid1. Only this time all the weight would be from a bigger battery (say 2000 mah). Then I could really make it 5 days on a single charge.