Whitemike358

Reaction score
And verizon doesn't catch on?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
W

Whitemike358

Reaction score
Also does the connection still screw up when receiving calls or text using this method?

fishstick600

Reaction score
It prob will dc once u get a call :( and u guys are very welcome XD no Verizon doesn't know how to stop it :p

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Natey2

Reaction score
I use the hotspot on my droid x free of charge. No u do not need root. I know a work around that is extremely simple

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tablet using Tapatalk

I didn't need to do anything special to start the 3G mobile hotspot on my unrooted DroidX. I had not called Verizon to activate it, so I hope they don't bill me additional for this.

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=33760

http://wirelesssupport.verizon.com/faqs/Features+and+Optional+Services/3g_mobile_hotspot.html?t=5

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Gaming does not use much data on a per second basis, but using the cell network can or will give you very undesirable latency during peak hours.

Basically makes it much harder to win. Compare 60 ms pings to 100 ms pings, and more typically the 140-180 (plus or minus depending on how many servers your game has to jump hoops through, users and load, etc.) millisecond pings you will get from 3G. It's effectively lagging your system not from bandwidth but from not being able to transmit each packet quickly enough.

I could go completely in depth about latency vs. bandwidth and how an admitedly very very high quality dial up line could give someone better game performance and less stuttering than a very high bandwidth cable line, but I'd rather not...too busy streaming TSCC on my phone.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

mayhem13

Reaction score
Which hotspot app are you guys referring to? I downloaded switchpan, but don't know which hotspot app I need to try this. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but where my house is located is about 1.5 miles too far for cable/fios. I have been there for 5 years with only internet access through my phone and now ipad also. Satellite internet was my only option, and I have heard nothing but bad things about it. I just started playing Black Ops at a friends house, and would really like to be able to play online at my house. Long story short, he told me he had a Sprint wireless card attatched to a router and an external antenna on the roof because there is no better provider where he is located either. I was surprised how well that connection works for online gaming, and am looking into that as it is my only option good. If tethering my phone or ipad would work just as well and is cheaper, I will try that first! Thanks for any help/opinions. Sorry so long

arrigob

Reaction score
You have a few choices. I would suggest doing some reading, their are a lot of threads going over this. Depending on your service provider, you can pay to wifi tether or you can root your phone and use wifi tether for free. This makes your phone a wifi hot spot for devices and computers to connect to.

The alternative is using a tethering app like easytether (which I prefer) and share your data that way. This type of connection does require you to connect your phone to your computer using a usb chord though. You would then share your connection to your PS3 using ICS (internet connection sharing).

I use wifi tether to play black ops all the time, works like a charm. I do have full service at my house and I never see any lag. Goodluck

mayhem13

Reaction score
Thanks for the Advice. One last question though. If I buy the EasyTether full version, I don't have to pay Verizon more money on top of what i'm already paying and there is no GB cap? Or is rooting the only way to get around the cap and forking over even more money? If so, can anyone please send me a link on how to root the Samsung Fascinate? I will pay for the app if it enables me to do basically the same thing without having to root, I don't want to mess my phone up.