Tethering with 2.3.3

Picasso71

Reaction score
Hey guys, from what I can tell I haven't seen any updated info on this particular topic, but I thought I would ask again anyway. Does anyone know if there has been a workaround for tethering under the 2.3.3 version? I am rooted already, but still get sent to verizon's page to pay for mobile hotspots whenever I use the tether. I am using this tether: android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

OP
P

Picasso71

Reaction score
Looks good. Do I have to uninstall my aforementioned tethering app first? Or can I just install this patch and run?

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just install the patch... And your good to go

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

OP
P

Picasso71

Reaction score
Cool beans. I'll let you know how it goes. So, is there any statistics out there on chances of getting caught using it?

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The only real way to get caught is to go over board with the tethering... As long as you use it responsible... You'll be fine

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

OP
P

Picasso71

Reaction score
Right on dude. Next question would be, how long does the bootstrap take to restart into clockwork mode? I restarted it about 3 minutes ago, got the red M at bootup, and then it goes to a black backlit screen, and sits. Go easy on me, I'm basically noob with anything after rooting a phone.

Savagerun

Reaction score
If your using droidx bootstrap make sure usb debugging is unchecked. Setting > development

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Savagerun

Reaction score
Good to hear... Good luck

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
This Tether app is lame! It doesn't hold the connection and the signal quality is low, even when right next to the network adapter?? It also likes to disable 3G, leaving me with a useless phone (until I restart).

Last edited:

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Anybody know how I might be able to fix this issue? I installed the patch, the tether works okay at first.. Do I need to reinstall?

Datfaulkner

Reaction score
New to tethering

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and also tethering. I'd like to have free wifi tethering in my phone (droid x), but do not even know where to begin. Perhaps someone could provide me with a link containing explicit details, or provide me with step by step instructions..? My android system is 2.3.3. The system version is 4.5.605. Any help would be much appreciated. -DF

Savagerun

Reaction score
Is your phone rooted? If not use the d3 one click to root your phone. Once your rooted get droid2 recovery bootstrap from the market you'll need it to install wugs tether patch. Here's a link with a video on the d3 one click root http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/g...g/35634-gb-602-root-start-here-links-all.html and here's the tether patch http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/g...8-wugpacked-gb-tether-patch-all-one-zips.html there's instructions in that link on Installing the patch but if you need more help just ask.