DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
8yk479NSRQOH_kmxhAKILPJBfoYQXEBeGvutg5-sbXFujgvjeFSFsdqvVz_6RBCQIg=h310-rw
82pkV2miot_KiPEsJmpK1PBkDNZv_bNp95A5hnHy4ueqdQfbXR7pA8VAlAx96aSl_w=h310-rw
q2DZgkHp6SRcoqn6pC1kXmUcy7cYVQLIdd7_BTXKWblVfDB0f9M4mx_0K8HfMHymd_o=h310-rw

If you love to root and mod your phone then chances are you have spent plenty of time in various forums. Most of the big forums have their own dedicated apps like DroidForums and XDA. If you wanted to really geek out though you can find all kinds of other Android forums on the web. Tapatalk has always been a great way to find new forums. You can also follow forums that have nothing to do with Android. One great thing about Tapatalk is that you can favorite different forums and browse them all from the same app. There are over 60,000 communities included in the Tapatalk network. This has always been a paid app, but today it was made available on the play store for FREE! If you want to support developers you can pick up the HD version of the app for $2.99. Grab these apps from the Play links below.

Tapatalk Free

Tapatalk Pro

Fuzzball

Reaction score
So I was about to go WTF after I paid for Tapatalk 4. Looks like Tapatalk 4 is now Tapatalk Pro. Reading the recent Tapatalk Free reviews, people are having a cow. However there're still enough five star reviews to not let it drop to an average of four stars. So what's all the fuss about? So did they just rename an "old version" that was a paid version and make it free?

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I was about to go WTF after I paid for Tapatalk 4. Looks like Tapatalk 4 is now Tapatalk Pro. Reading the recent Tapatalk Free reviews, people are having a cow. However there're still enough five star reviews to not let it drop to an average of four stars. So what's all the fuss about? So did they just rename an "old version" that was a paid version and make it free?

Yes... They made the old tapatalk 2 paid app into a free app and scamming all the people that bought it (including me) out of the money they paid for it. No refund, no upgrade to the new paid app, just making it so everyone that paid for it apparently paid for nothing

Mike8016

Reaction score
We got screwed but I had tapatalk for 2 years so I can't complain

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Plus the new update is slower that molasses in January. I'll pay but I hope it's a better.

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2 now Free

Rayv

Reaction score
I am all for devs making money. I rarely download free apps myself. I prefer to pay for well made apps and to support the devs, but to make the previous paid version handicapped just to get more to buy the new "pro" version is unacceptable IMO. That sort of business practice will keep me from ever making a purchase from that developer again. Making it an option to buy different skins and such is cool, but not this.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Grabbed Tapatalk 4 when it was free for a little bit so I can't complain either.

tapatalk

Reaction score
I am all for devs making money. I rarely download free apps myself. I prefer to pay for well made apps and to support the devs, but to make the previous paid version handicapped just to get more to buy the new "pro" version is unacceptable IMO. That sort of business practice will keep me from ever making a purchase from that developer again. Making it an option to buy different skins and such is cool, but not this.

Hi - we just want to clarify that the new app does not take aware functionality of what you already bought, just that we made it free for the rest of everyone. Can you elaborate what functions are missing to make you feel handicap? We will go fix them.

For those who don't want to update and prefer to use older version, you can now download the fully unlocked, original version for free from our support forum :)

Rayv

Reaction score
Hi - we just want to clarify that the new app does not take aware functionality of what you already bought, just that we made it free for the rest of everyone. Can you elaborate what functions are missing to make you feel handicap? We will go fix them.

For those who don't want to update and prefer to use older version, you can now download the fully unlocked, original version for free from our support forum :)

Thanks for responding. I honestly am only going by reports made by others. I didn't dare update given the experiences I'm reading about in the comments in the play store. Everything from people being unable to post from the free version to other missing features. I know I know, I read it on the internet so it must be true. Seriously though, with that many complaints, I can't imagine it all being unfounded.

If those complaints are in fact all unfounded, I do have another concern. Is the original version available on your forum going to continue to be supported? It sounds like you're moving away from that and redesigning the platform. Is this a situation where a forum owner would need to have the original and new tapatalk installed to work? I know I am not personally pleased with the fact that I purchased the app thinking I was getting the pro or best version only to find out that you would turn around and make a new version that yet again had to be purchased. I'm sure its done, I've just never seen a reputable developer pull something quite like this before and am shocked and disappointed that it was done by tapatalk.

skennelly

Reaction score
Holy cow! I just went and read the reviews on the playstore. I am one of those that have purchased both. However, I purchased one a long time ago and then months later upgraded to the HD version. It was so long ago and only $4 or $5, so I'm not worried. If I bought the free one as recently as two weeks ago though, I would be upset that it is now free.

@tapatalk

The one thing that I absolute dislike about Tapatalk is how they handle links from twitter. I follow my tapatalk forums on twitter and the first time I click a link you get the option to select chrome or tapatalk as the default app. I always use chrome for this. Both will take you right to the article. However, with chrome you hit the back button once and it takes you to a blank web page. Hit back again and you are back in twitter. With tapatalk, you hit the back button once and it goes to categories, back again takes you to tapatalk's home page, back again takes you to a blank web page, and back one more time takes you to twitter.

So, neither option is ideal, but chrome is better than tapatalk. Chrome sucks if you want to reply to a forum post. I rarely use tapatalk because of this.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The new version you put out is broken. Notifications, speed, accuracy of what's going on in a forum, etc, etc don't work correctly if at all.
You took away features, such as timed notifications, all vs unread posts, etc. Timeline is nowhere near as accurate as "all" was. Never did "all" show no posts to view whereas if I check timeline it often shows no posts, even on a very active forum such as this one. You took away ease of switching between forums and replaced it with the need to use the back button until you finally reach the home screen. You took away many possible themes that were in TT2 and gave dark or light only.
The version you are promoting as an alternative on your forum has many bugs that were NOT in the last Play store version of TT2. The biggest one being keyboard freezes. You put Tapatalk HD beta out as a finished product and have now pushed it onto both tablets and phones.
Call it what you want but being a moderator on several forums is MUCH more difficult with the new and supposedly improved version and you never replied to the email I sent about my concerns so I'm publicly stating my problem with your apps.
I ask you either fix Tapatalk whatever the thing is called or give users the option to use a working former version, not one that imo is designed to frustrate the user enough to finally install the newest release.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol, you mad bro? :D

Nah. I just subscribe to don't ask the question unless you really want the answer.
I really did attempt to get the problem addressed via email though. I really did try their version on the support forum first. I really did try to use the new version as long as I could. I'm using the Amazon version now. It's a relatively bug free version of the classic, which suits me best for moderating.
Me thinks that since they adapted the ios ui to Android that they didn't predict the backlash of users being forced to pay again like iSheep are so used to doing without complaining
A Richard Sherman photo would've added nicely to your post :)

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)