T-Mobile is Kicking A** Without any Bubble Gum

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
T-Mobile-Logo-600.JPG

It turns out that T-Mobile could actually be doing better than any other carrier, in a couple of important metrics. The Consumer Intelligence Research Partners shared their analysis of the U.S. wireless industry's numbers, and some surprising things came up. The CIRP estimates for the first quarter of 2016 indicate that T-Mobile was the only major American wireless carrier to gain significantly more subscribers than they lost. You can see these numbers in the screen-cap above.

These numbers indicate that T-Mobile’s retention rate is actually on par with AT&T and Verizon; however, the big takeaway is that T-Mo is adding new customers at a much faster pace than the others are. These numbers also indicate that T-Mobile posted a 42% subscriber gain who were moving from other carriers, but Verizon posted only a 14% gain, while AT&T only posted a 10% gain. Here's a quote from CIRP founder Josh Lowitz,

“Once again, T-Mobile showed it can attract significant numbers of new customers, while retaining its current ones. It attracted new customers from other carriers at an astonishing rate, attracting another 42% of their base of existing customers who activated a phone in the quarter. Sprint also gained a significant percentage of customers relative to its base, but lost almost as many. AT&T and Verizon saw existing customer losses slightly exceed gains, and only with the addition of first time phone buyers, did they grow slightly.”

It's definitely worth noting that CIRP's estimates are based on a sample size of around 500 subscribers, so there is significant room for margin of error. Despite that, CIRP has one of the best reputations in the industry for solid and reliable predictive data. What do you folks think these numbers mean (if anything)?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
They are offering things the others won't touch. The whole uncarrier streaming perks are great. I am on Sprint now and really miss streaming music and it not counting towards my data cap. I had no idea how fast I could use up 2 gigs. I don't stream music in my car anymore on my personal phone. I keep my work phone with unlimited data through ATT with me for that one purpose alone. I will admit data coverage is a bit better for Sprint where I live vs TMobile but not by much.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm not surprised by this. Tmo has been pushing some great deals.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is good all the way around. For one it hopefully forces the other carrier to step their games up. Second, hopefully T-Mobile use this increase in money to strengthen their infrastructure more and be an even bigger competition for At&t and Verizon.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
Verizon lost me on 4/14 after 15 years as a customer, to T-Mobile.

My bill is slightly lower now (by about $9/mo) and will go even lower within 2 billing cycles as my government employee discount will kick in.

Same unlimited talk/text and 10gb of data... With Binge On and data stash as well. WiFi calling, HD calling and I can also go to unlimited data for an additional $15/mo if I choose to, at any time.

Their customer service has been outstanding and I have had issues with exactly 2 calls (WiFi calls while at work) in my ~800 minutes used so far.

I will also get my ETF of $175 reimbursed that Verizon is charging me- but that only works out to be about a $110 reimbursement as I brought my Nexus 6P with me.

Perhaps I can get a few bucks for that flip on CL? Or keep it as an emergency backup device? Or activate it for my 5 and 6 year old kids to use for $10/mo.

T-Mobile is dominating the market now and Verizon is feeling it.

I say screw you Verizon. There is no reason why you couldn't at a minimum match T-Mo to retain me as a customer.... The rep didn't even ATTEMPT to retain me when I said I'd be porting my number.

I'll also get a $25 prepaid Visa card as will a friend who I'll say referred me. $50, we will take it.

Now people are telling me I should have gone to Metro lol

Whatever, I'm extremely happy even with the miniscule savings just to give an FU to VZW.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I tried to order a test unit from T mobile to check out my area but they made a few errors and I cancelled. I really do want to try them out though

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried to order a test unit from T mobile to check out my area but they made a few errors and I cancelled. I really do want to try them out though

Get a rep that knows their stuff halfway and they can put a SIM card in your phone, program the data/call network to accept either Verizon or T-Mobile, try it out that way a few days (or however long you want) . You won't get their LTE speeds but it'll allow you to see their coverage strength both outside of buildings and inside. It takes about 5 minutes for them to add their information to your phone and you can switch back and forth as needed. It's how I ended up switching to them with my Verizon Note2 before buying a G2 from them. The SIM card is $10 and fully refundable for up to 14 days, though the rep I dealt with hand wrote 30 days on my receipt.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Get a rep that knows their stuff halfway and they can put a SIM card in your phone, program the data/call network to accept either Verizon or T-Mobile, try it out that way a few days (or however long you want) . You won't get their LTE speeds but it'll allow you to see their coverage strength both outside of buildings and inside. It takes about 5 minutes for them to add their information to your phone and you can switch back and forth as needed. It's how I ended up switching to them with my Verizon Note2 before buying a G2 from them. The SIM card is $10 and fully refundable for up to 14 days, though the rep I dealt with hand wrote 30 days on my receipt.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
The issue with that is the closest t mobile store is almost 2 hours away.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The issue with that is the closest t mobile store is almost 2 hours away.

Bummer. When there is no retail outlet for a carrier within normal driving distance, I've seen over the years there's a reason for that and usually not a good one. There's no Verizon outlet where my daughter lives in Kentucky because there's no coverage within 2 hours of driving as an example.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Bummer. When there is no retail outlet for a carrier within normal driving distance, I've seen over the years there's a reason for that and usually not a good one. There's no Verizon outlet where my daughter lives in Kentucky because there's no coverage within 2 hours of driving as an example.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
The T mobile coverage map in my area is about identical to vzw which is almost complete just no outlets.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
You can also get a pre paid phone and try out T-Mobile while using your Verizon ...I found T-Mobile better for my usage than Project Fi bc for $95 unlimited with 14GB hotspot included I run though plenty data ...feels great not counting data again ...

6s Plus

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
What part of Kentucky? I've been all over without any service interruptions. Louisville, paducah, Lexington,etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just now went ahead and got 2 lines for $100 from T-Mo with unlimited everything, including DATA (no BS throttling either). Yeah, service is not like Verizon, but I don't really care. It will get better in time. Verizon wasn't built in a day.

Oh, and BTW, 'They Live' is one of my favorite movies.
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick a##...and I'm all out of bubblegum."