T minus 4 hours.....

whiddles

Reaction score
It's just easier to import the contacts straight from google but if you have them in outlook it can be imported that way too.

I'm not sure that VZW can pull that trick off with the Droid. Maybe they can. We will see. Anyway not to worry if they don't there are ways to do it. Since I already had gmail and it was what I had always been using it wasn't an issue.

they were not able to do that trick with my droid and the vx6900. i had to manually enter 100+ contacts. then i had to edit them all again later to mobile numbers so i can send texts. lol

OP
kwood

kwood

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the info im gonna start sifting throught my contacts on my p.o.s. phone

you guys said that you havn't really paid for any apps, do that mean that most of the popular apps are all free?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've paid for a few and found better apps that are free later.;)

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
I got mine a week ago and it was not updated.. the process only takes 5 mins or so, just be prepared for it.

Setting up your gmail now is quick and easy.. also can get your contacts imported ahead of time so you have more time to play and less time to work once you get the phone.

What do you guys mean by setting up your contacts in gmail?

You mean like everyones names and numbers?

I thought the VZW people just took your contacts from your old phone and could xfer them to your new one for you? is that not correct with the droid?

Wow thanks for the info im gonna start sifting throught my contacts on my p.o.s. phone

you guys said that you havn't really paid for any apps, do that mean that most of the popular apps are all free?

I haven't paid for any yet either, but am seriously considering getting PhoneMyPC.

There are a ton of quality apps available free, yes. It can be a bit difficult to find some of them because of the way that the App Market lists them, but you'll find many posts here and elsewhere about which apps people are finding the most useful.

OP
kwood

kwood

Reaction score
Thanks...

Im leaving in like 20 mins for verizon, i hope they are open by 10 lol

Bad_Boy

Reaction score
Congrats man, I don't get mine until at least friday. Waiting on my VA check. :p

huskur

Reaction score
ok....the reason for the gmail account set up before hand is nice because once your phone syncs with gmail for the first time all your contacts will be there, including any contacts you have in your gmail account.

So, set up your gmail account then go to vzw.com and log in and go to your contacts and download the .csv file (you will see the option for doing that on the contacts page) to your computer. Then you will log back into gmail and import that file. That will put all your verizon contacts in your gmail account and in turn will put them in your phone once it syncs with gmail. Sounds complicated but really its pretty simple.

Good luck with your Droid!! I know you will love it

OP
kwood

kwood

Reaction score
ok....the reason for the gmail account set up before hand is nice because once your phone syncs with gmail for the first time all your contacts will be there, including any contacts you have in your gmail account.

So, set up your gmail account then go to vzw.com and log in and go to your contacts and download the .csv file (you will see the option for doing that on the contacts page) to your computer. Then you will log back into gmail and import that file. That will put all your verizon contacts in your gmail account and in turn will put them in your phone once it syncs with gmail. Sounds complicated but really its pretty simple.

where is the contacts page on the vzw website? i logged in but can find it...

found it i think, but you have to download and app on my old phone and pay 1.99 for it, is there anyway to get around this i really dont wanna pay for an app on a phone that i wont be using anymore you know..

Last edited:

huskur

Reaction score

where is the contacts page on the vzw website? i logged in but can find it...

found it i think, but you have to download and app on my old phone and pay 1.99 for it, is there anyway to get around this i really dont wanna pay for an app on a phone that i wont be using anymore you know..

That is for "back up assistant". Since you are a "my verizon" user that charge is waived even though it says a 1.99 charge.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Even if the charge isn't waived... I would probably still pay the $1.99. Think of the time it's going to take you to manually enter all of your contacts either into your phone or into Gmail. Unless you can come up with a different way of importing your contacts, this will probably be your best bet.

If you have all of your contacts set up in Outlook, you can export them to Gmail and save yourself a bunch of time and not have to pay the $1.99 VZW backup charge.

I'm very thankful that over the last year or so I started organizing all of my contacts in outlook. Just before I got my Droid I exported everything to my Gmail account that I've had for years and I was all set in a matter of about 5 minutes.

I haven't paid for a single app yet, there's all kinds of free goodies out there.