T minus 4 hours.....

kwood

Reaction score
So without boring you all with a long drawn out story about why and what happend....

Ive been waiting to get my droid for a month and a half now, and i finally got my back pay from the military that i was waiting for, today is the day! the money came in this morning and im headed straight to verizon in about 4 hours! Im soo excited you guys have no idea.... lurking around here and reading all your post with nothing to add myself was horrible!

Anyway in a couple hours i should be the new owner of a droid, so here is my reason for posting. what are the first i dunno 10 things i should do once i get my phone.

Thanks guys and i cant wait to actually join in on the discussions around here!

EXCITED!

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
So without boring you all with a long drawn out story about why and what happend....

Ive been waiting to get my droid for a month and a half now, and i finally got my back pay from the military that i was waiting for, today is the day! the money came in this morning and im headed straight to verizon in about 4 hours! Im soo excited you guys have no idea.... lurking around here and reading all your post with nothing to add myself was horrible!

Anyway in a couple hours i should be the new owner of a droid, so here is my reason for posting. what are the first i dunno 10 things i should do once i get my phone.

Thanks guys and i cant wait to actually join in on the discussions around here!

EXCITED!

If you are at all nervous about dropping the phone, think about a case and screen protector right at the store. Verizon will typically discount multiple accessories bought at one time by 20%, so get that car dock to for using the Navigation,and the car charger.

Import your contacts.

Set up a Gmail account. And Google Wallet, which you will need to purchase paid apps.

Play with the phone!:icon_ banana:

If you like to text message a lot, download Handcent right away, too.

You may want to have a link to the Manual handy, as one does NOT come in the box for this phone.

Last edited:

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
if you're half as obsessed as I was when getting my phone your contacts will already be in gmail just waiting to be automatically downloaded once you setup the phone.

you also probably have a list of the 10 apps you MUST HAVE right away :D

if you plan on using the GPS features of the phone I'd suggest you stop at Best Buy and pick up the car dock (Best Buy sells it bundled with the car charger, VZW does not)

Oh... big one here... make sure it's updated to 2.0.1 BEFORE you get too attached to it.. dont play around with it before you update it.. you dont want to get used to things that are just going to change.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
if you're half as obsessed as I was when getting my phone your contacts will already be in gmail just waiting to be automatically downloaded once you setup the phone.

you also probably have a list of the 10 apps you MUST HAVE right away :D

if you plan on using the GPS features of the phone I'd suggest you stop at Best Buy and pick up the car dock (Best Buy sells it bundled with the car charger, VZW does not)

Oh... big one here... make sure it's updated to 2.0.1 BEFORE you get too attached to it.. dont play around with it before you update it.. you dont want to get used to things that are just going to change.

Nice tip on the car dock/charger combo!

OP
kwood

kwood

Reaction score
If you are at all nervous about dropping the phone, think about a case and screen protector right at the store. Verizon will typically discount multiple accessories bought at one time by 20%, so get that car dock to for using the Navigation,and the car charger.

Import your contacts.

Set up a Gmail account. And Google Wallet, which you will need to purchase paid apps.

You may want to have a link to the Manual handy, as one does NOT come in the box for this phone.

Should i set up a gmail account before i get the phone or no?

And the google wallet... im unfamiliar with this can you elaborate a lil? is it something i need to do before i get the phone?

And how do i know if its the updated OS?

iPirate

Reaction score

Import your contacts.

And the google wallet... im unfamiliar with this can you elaborate a lil? is it something i need to do before i get the phone?

If you have 4 hours you can use that time to create a gmail account and transfer your contacts/calendar. Better to do it now than after when you want to play with the phone.

Google wallet(checkout?) is not a must, I have not set mine up but I also don't plan to buy apps.

The "official" car navigation(?) dock and media dock will not let you use a case with it, FYI.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Import your contacts.

Yes, it's easy to start up a gmail account first. Set it up before going into the store with your password memorized.

Google wallet. I don't think it's necessary. Can be set up at anytime. Then again so can Gmail, I just already had mine set up.

You look at the about screen. I'm quite sure however that it will be updated already to 2.0.1.

whiddles

Reaction score
kwood;106857 Should i set up a gmail account before i get the phone or no? And the google wallet... im unfamiliar with this can you elaborate a lil? is it something i need to do before i get the phone? And how do i know if its the updated OS?[/QUOTE said:
1. Gmail does not need to be done first just nice to have the head start.
2. google wallet i still have not set up. i have yet to buy an app, freebees work great for me thus far.
3. ask when you get the phone about the OS. It is over the air update so when phone turns on it will ask to be updated.
4. have fun and be patient with it.
also where you stationed? Im at fort hood.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I got mine a week ago and it was not updated.. the process only takes 5 mins or so, just be prepared for it.

Setting up your gmail now is quick and easy.. also can get your contacts imported ahead of time so you have more time to play and less time to work once you get the phone.

OP
kwood

kwood

Reaction score
1. Gmail does not need to be done first just nice to have the head start.
2. google wallet i still have not set up. i have yet to buy an app, freebees work great for me thus far.
3. ask when you get the phone about the OS. It is over the air update so when phone turns on it will ask to be updated.
4. have fun and be patient with it.
also where you stationed? Im at fort hood.

Thanks for the info,

I'm stationed at McGuire AFB New Jersey.

OP
kwood

kwood

Reaction score
I got mine a week ago and it was not updated.. the process only takes 5 mins or so, just be prepared for it.

Setting up your gmail now is quick and easy.. also can get your contacts imported ahead of time so you have more time to play and less time to work once you get the phone.

What do you guys mean by setting up your contacts in gmail?

You mean like everyones names and numbers?

I thought the VZW people just took your contacts from your old phone and could xfer them to your new one for you? is that not correct with the droid?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's just easier to import the contacts straight from google but if you have them in outlook it can be imported that way too.

I'm not sure that VZW can pull that trick off with the Droid. Maybe they can. We will see. Anyway not to worry if they don't there are ways to do it. Since I already had gmail and it was what I had always been using it wasn't an issue.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
Verizon can take everything from your old phone and put it into your new phone, yes. But a lot of people don't include email addresses in the contacts on their old phone.

You may also want to look through the contacts on your current phone and be sure that the mobile numbers are actually labeled as mobile numbers, or you will have trouble text messaging. A few people have asked why they can't text someone and it usually turns out that they had listed the mobile number for that individual as Home or Work, not Mobile.