System Update 10/21/2014

Nenalynnn

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Android S4
I had a system update this morning SCH-I545_NC5_to_NG6 and now i am getting window pop ups, ads popups, tracking popups, play store pop ups. Anyone else having this problem or do you know what i can do to stop it?
Thank you,

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Most of the Problems are resulting from people not completing a factory data reset after receiving the KitKat Update! Backup your device using Kies and then perform a factory Data Reset! [FDR] !! this should fix your issue!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Most of the Problems are resulting from people not completing a factory data reset after receiving the KitKat Update! Backup your device using Kies and then perform a factory Data Reset! [FDR] !! this should fix your issue!

Thanks, KaosMaster for jumping in... Seems we both think alike (aka Get Smart & KAOS)! :D

bbtkd

Reaction score
What - if anything - might be lost? Does the Kies backup preserve all app files and settings? What about system settings? Just wondering what is left to manually restore or set afterwards.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Kies should back up everything you select! It will backup everything on the phone if you want! Sometimes it can't backup everything due to some errors thou, but it will tell you what it can't do

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This is the second thread on this update, but a new issue. Fdr should fix the problem either way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Metalunna

Reaction score
This is the second thread on this update, but a new issue. Fdr should fix the problem either way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Updated a few days ago...did an FDR. I still get random reboots a few times a day..It even random rebooted a few minutes after the FDR. Didnt even get to install any new apps.

Sometimes the device stalls then reboots (usually after I wake it up and try to swipe my security pattern). Other times, it stalls just after i enter the pattern. Sometimes it will just reboot when its sitting on the table..It was starting to random reboot on the last update..I thought it was me or a rogue app..or even a bad battery..as it would random reboot once in a while..but now on this new update it reboots several times a day.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I thought it was me or a rogue app..or even a bad battery..as it would random reboot once in a while..but now on this new update it reboots several times a day.

Have you tried to repair your phone using the Verizon software assistant yet?

Metalunna

Reaction score
Did a Verizon repair this afternoon. Just started rebooting tonight. I started to install some of my apps and it rebooted. I installed about 15 apps or so..But I'll be darned if I could track down any guilty parties. I really dont want to install one app a day and wait to see if any reboots occur..Thats really not pleasant and really counter productive..I really cant go 2 weeks like that. I wonder if this has anything to do with the block to writing on the SD card.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Have you done an FDR inside the os?? Sounds like something is still not reading right, might need to Odin it. But try and FDR

Metalunna

Reaction score
What scares me is that the same thing happened to my wife about 2 years ago..She had a Droid Incredible and they pushed an update and it forced it into random reboot loops. Happened to a lot pf people too. Verizon basically told me to go screw, but on the upside..look at all of the nice new phones available....At which point we got her an S3. I guess it's my turn now