swype version expired???

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbE404

Reaction score
I didnt realize my version of swype that i downloaded months ago from ??? would expire! what am i to do???

If you are part of the official beta, there is a new version and installer available. Go to the Swype website for details-but be warned, several people have had issues with the initial installation, so follow their instructions closely, and search here for threads or on their forum on how we've gotten it to work.

Now, if you are not part of the official beta, I'm afraid there isn't much that can be done, but there are a few possible alternatives in the Market. Threads with reviews and suggestions can also be found here.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the second Beta was just released so hopefully we will see it in the Market soon

EbE404

Reaction score
When will they make it offical? This is an app worthy of being paid for

I agree-I would happily pay for this. This question was posted on their forum many many times, and they have always kind of danced around it. On the one hand, I can totally understand betas, and managing that through a closed process and control group.

On the other hand, putting the pieces and responses that they have provided together, their business model really appears to be aimed at working with and licensing OEMs-not going directly to end users, so honestly, I'm not sure when, or even if that will ever happen.

The interesting thing is that the most recent beta they pushed out to the group has a higher build number than the version that is being released on OEM devices, so we might be "lab rats" to support testing and development efforts that will benefit the licensed OEMs (not that I particularly mind that, by the way).

Smokie

Reaction score
If I am a member of the Swype beta but my wife is not.. am I able to put the .apk from my phone onto hers and that would work? is that cool to do or would they frown upon it? we both have Droid 1's and LOVE Swype.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Having recently updated to the latest version of the beta for two droids, I can certainly understand why it's not available in the Market as a generic Android product. My wife's update installed flawlessly, no more complex than the previous versions.

On the other hand, my Droid I required at least a dozen efforts to install the software, even when I attempted to follow the intricate instructions very carefully. I eventually managed to install Swype, but only after multiple reboots not documented in the instructions and removal of my "Apps 2 SD" app.

Suffice to say that for many phones the simple "uninstall-the-previous-version-install-the-new-version" approach was only the start of nightmare.

What it amounts to is that Swype is not designed to installed to an already operating device (even unrooted). It's designed to be installed with the operating system in a "virgin" device. Once installed, it leaves traces of itself all over the file system that are very difficult to eliminate. The problem seems to have been exacerbated by the 2.2 version of Android.

The folks at Swype have always said that their business model is aimed at OEM's, not end user consumers. And while they've done their best to make it possible for members of their beta community to continue to use their software, I can certainly understand why they would not put the software into the Market. It is simply not designed to be installed from that source.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I am a member of the Swype beta but my wife is not.. am I able to put the .apk from my phone onto hers and that would work? is that cool to do or would they frown upon it? we both have Droid 1's and LOVE Swype.

You are able to do it, but you are not suppose to do it. That's why we don't allow posting of the .apk file here in the Droid Forums.

Smokie

Reaction score

You are able to do it, but you are not suppose to do it. That's why we don't allow posting of the .apk file here in the Droid Forums.

ok, thanks for clearing that up Hook Bill.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
Smokie.. You and I are in the exact same boat.

My wife has been freaking out ever since last night when her swype stopped working.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
My email is email edited to protect member.
Im just going to leave this here...i hope no one emails me the new .apk. Pictures of cats doing silly stuff would be appreciated though. Just no working swype version, especially not themed black like my previous install. Thank you for any cat pictures... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.