Swype keyboard issue when not in an app.

hydro556

Reaction score
I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S3 and absolutely love it. I have finagled my way into getting lots of early upgrades, etc, and have tried quite a few Droid phones in the past 2 years, and have been impressed with some, but the GS3 is hands down the best device I have ever tried. Just really well designed, with lots of cool extras and everything seems to work just like it should(not to mention the best real world battery life I have ever experienced). Samsung blew it out of the park on this device, and I can actually see keeping it happily for a couple years.

Anyway, to my problem. My GS3 has Swype installed for its keyboard. I love Swype and have since I originally got the Swype beta a couple phones back.

If I remember correctly, and I am pretty sure I do, Swype worked great when I first got it installed on my S3. It worked in all formats, be it sending email, Gmail or typing a post here on Droidforums. Then, for some reason a couple weeks back, I noticed that it would no longer Auto-capitalize, or automatically insert spaces between words (I have checked the Swype settings and it IS set to do these things) if I was typing a thread or a reply here on DF. Then I checked around, same thing on SnipersHide, RFC, or any other internet forum I use. BUT, it still works perfectly on email, Gmail, or Notepad, etc. Pretty much everything that is an actual App, as opposed to just a general internet forum.

So, when I am not in an app, I have to capitalize everything myself as well as actually hitting the space bar on the Swype keypad every time I go to the next word(and it is annoying!). But again, if in an app it handles all that just right.

So I am hoping one of you guys that seem to know freaking everything about devices, OS's and apps can help me out. Thanks.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Are you visiting the forum in the browser? I don't think that auto correct works in "browser type pages" I know it doesn't work in facebook app or any website I visit.... I am not sure why this is but I am assuming any app that works with the html might be doing this..........

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
Are you visiting the forum in the browser? I don't think that auto correct works in "browser type pages" I know it doesn't work in facebook app or any website I visit.... I am not sure why this is but I am assuming any app that works with the html might be doing this..........

Yes, anytime I am in a browser, looking at any internet forum, it doesnt work.

But what is weird is that it has worked fine before. It just started messing up. Also, on my Nexus 7 tablet, Swype works just fine in browsers, and everywhere else I have tried. So, it did work on my S3, but no longer does.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

OP
H

hydro556

Reaction score
Bump. Still doing it. Got to the point that I had to kill swype and go with Samsung's keyboard.

Want swype back.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
That actually sounds like a browser issue. Was probably updated in the background and now its text bars are not optimized to work with Swype. Has happened to me a few times in the past with browsers and it eventually just resolved itself.

However, like you, I primarily used Swype for years. Then I went to Swiftkey, which I loved, but I missed Swype. Now, at last, Swiftkey has released its "SwiftFlow" keyboard, or Swiftkey 3, which is a combination of SwiftKey and Swype. It's great. The swyping feels slightly different. It's a little more fluid but you have to go just a hair slower. Also after you complete a word, SwiftKey will try to determine what you'll say next, as opposed to what you might have been trying to say with Swype. It's different, but after a week of using it, I am enjoying it more than I ever have Swype or "Slide" or whatever that other rip off keyboard was called. It get's more and more accurate every time you use it, so bare with it at first, and you'll see what I mean.

Also Swiftkey has navigation arrows at the bottom, which I'm addicted to. No more having to perfectly align the little slider thing to fix one letter. You have to download it online as it's a beta and not in the Play Store yet, but you can do it through your phone then just open downloads and install. Highly recommended!

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just found TouchPal, which is absolutely quite nice! Have been looking forever to find one that was just right.... this seems to be it!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

moset

Reaction score
Have you tried the latest beta 1.4.0.11523?
It's in public beta now. Don't know if it will help with your issues though.
I haven't been impressed with the beta's up until this one. It actually seems to be an improvement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2