Swype on the GS3

Trapper31

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get Swype working on the S3. I've downloaded and installed the beta with no errors, and I've enabled it in the input settings. However, in the settings menu the Galaxy default keyboard is grayed out and I am unable to uncheck it, and I can't seem to get Swype to override it. (I've also tried the long-press on a text field to switch, but it only brings up copy/paste options, unless I'm missing something.)

I know Samsung incorporated a version of Swype, but I really do like the extra options and features of the real thing.

Thanks!

OP
T

Trapper31

Reaction score
Hate to bump this less in less than 24 hours, but I really am curious if anyone has gotten Swype to work.

huskur

Reaction score
The GS3 has a similar program to swype. It's T9 but with swype like capabilities. When using the factory Samsung T9 keyboard just use it like swype. I do not use swype because it is a resource hog. Give it a try

OP
T

Trapper31

Reaction score
The GS3 has a similar program to swype. It's T9 but with swype like capabilities. When using the factory Samsung T9 keyboard just use it like swype. I do not use swype because it is a resource hog. Give it a try

Thank you for the reply. I have tried Samsung's version of Swype but found that it's just not quite "there". I suppose it'll work for now, I'm am just very surprised that I can't enable the real thing. Maybe it's time to give SwiftKey X an extended try, lots of folks seem to like that keyboard.

Caesars

Reaction score
Hopefully it works soon, people are loving the Swype hehe :/)

billy_gravy

Reaction score
I downloaded the Swype beta yesterday and it works great for me. I, too, was displeased with the new version that came preloaded on the S3.

OP
T

Trapper31

Reaction score
I downloaded the Swype beta yesterday and it works great for me. I, too, was displeased with the new version that came preloaded on the S3.

Really? Were you able to turn off the Samsung keyboard? That option is grayed out for me. Did you do anything different to enable it?

urklegrue

Reaction score
When you are in a text box, look at the notification menu and you should see a tiny keyboard symbol. Swipe the notification down and it will say Select Input Method. You can choose Swype from there, and after that it will default to the last keyboard you used. You will not be able to disable the stock keyboard though.

OP
T

Trapper31

Reaction score
When you are in a text box, look at the notification menu and you should see a tiny keyboard symbol. Swipe the notification down and it will say Select Input Method. You can choose Swype from there, and after that it will default to the last keyboard you used. You will not be able to disable the stock keyboard though.

Oh awesome, that is what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

huskur

Reaction score
I to liked swype but I went to task manager and saw the resources it used and then gave up on it. The T9 version of swype is good but like you said its not quite there. I have switched to the predictive keyboard and am learning and feeling that I like it better than swype and is faster once you are used to it. Wish I could be more help but my swype days are over for now.

bastosero

Reaction score
Yup, Swype works very well! I've been a Swype user since the OG Droid and been a beta user when they first came out with that. Even though it's a resource hog (as you guys say), I still prefer it compared to the default keyboards on the SGS3. The SGS3 can handle it anyway so no biggie.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I have been using Swype beta since the first day I got the S3. Works great.

napjester

Reaction score
If you're on the S3, there's no way Swype can be such a resource hog as to prevent you from using it! I used it on my old D2 for years without issue so this is a cakewalk for the S3.

Valvoline

Reaction score
Been using Swype on DX for years, not yet used it on gs3. T9 Skype get frustrating immediately. Takes longer to go Back and fix than to actually type it. Gonna get Skype and give it a try on g3