Love the Phone, Hate the Keyboard...help

kjumper187

Reaction score
ok all. Finally got my hands on the SGS3 and I love the phone. Very surprised by how awesome this phone is. As I dig deeper, I like it more and more. The only issue I have with this phone is the damn keyboard and I'm hoping you guys can help.

After 3 days of digging (and countless internet searches), I was finally able to disable swype...I can't stand it. So, 1 problem fixed. Here are the rest that I need help with...please

How do I make the spellcheck/autocorrect work properly? If I type fast, I get some goofy words and/or no spaces between words. By far the worst keyboard I've ever used. (I've changed the settings so many times in the language and keyboard. But it only seemed to work when swype was enabled)

Same with the contractions...they don't auto add. If I type dont, it doesn't come up don't.

That's pretty much it. I've tried swiftkey and go, but the same issues arise after all the settings were made to where it SHOULD work properly.

Any help would be nice.

Thanks

Roget83

Reaction score
I hated the keyboard as well. After trying everything on the market I found an internet download that is the original ICS keyboard, not the Samsung version. If you search for latinime.apk you should find a link to download it.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Sorry, just saw you tried SwiftKey already

He tried Swype, which is part of the stock android keyboard.

To the OP, you could pay for the SwiftKey keyboard. It is very nice, I've only been using it for a few months but it is a nice improvement.

chubby22

Reaction score
Flex t9 is a decent keyboard..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
Another vote for Swiftkey

Same here for SwiftKey. Best word prediction keyboard out there. Also, my stock s3 keyboard had quite a bit of lag when I typed. I am a fast typer. Give swiftkey a try. I have been using it for over a year and love it.

OP
kjumper187

kjumper187

Reaction score
WOW! I don't think people even read the post, just the headline. Atleast Semaj realized it...

Roget83

Reaction score
WOW! I don't think people even read the post, just the headline. Atleast Semaj realized it...

I was just trying to say the spell check works better on the stock Android keyboard. That's why I went to it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Swiftkey does all you're saying - contractions, auto correct, spelling, etc... not sure why it didn't work when you tried it, but it does do that stuff. It's the closest thing to iOS' keyboard that I've found on Android. The newest version (4.+ that includes flow) is a pretty solid improvement as well.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I did read your post but I'm going to have to agree with jntdroid. Swiftkey does exactly what you're asking. It also has the on screen arrow keys which I live off of and no other keyboard has. However it also has a million settings so it seems like something may have been checked or unchecked?

But if you still don't want to use it, you can try Circle Keyboard for something completely different or as another suggested ICS Keyboard, which I tried and seemed to be like a simpler version of Swiftkey.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I really think you should give SwiftKey a chance again.. Use it for a week.. Set it up and you will find out what many of us already know.. It's the best keyboard out hands down.. IMO.. Good luck..

⚡Take Note2 BK's here.. ⚡

crxlsturbo

Reaction score

We all did see the op tried swiftkey. But what he wants it to do, swiftkey does it all. It takes a good week for it to learn some of the words. It's bar the best keyboard out there hands down. And I have tried all of them. Like the mod said, give it a try for a week and see how it goes.