Swype as default keyboard

naman919

Reaction score
I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer to this question.

I'm running CM6.1 stable and installed Swype 2.15.56.14870.t100 (i'm in the beta).

Whenever i reboot, the default android keyboard is set as default. I seem to remember a fix for this but can't find it anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction? thanks.

WolfmansJesus3197

Reaction score
I just installed Swype today. Even though it was selected as primary input, it wasn't working. After I putzed around in the tutorial for a little bit I tried seeing if it worked for text messaging and it did.

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but that is not the issue I'm discussing here. Can someone shine light on my problem? Swype is installed and working correctly, just if i reboot it loses default the next time i go to type. I have to set it once and it stays default until i reboot.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you checked Swype's own beta forums? I don't recall if a solution is posted there but it's worth checking. Off the top of my head it sounds like an install issue but the Swype install process has always been a bit quirky.

Newps

Reaction score
The Swype beta process is a joke. Because of their insistence on making the process as difficult as possible I don't update the beta everytime they come out with an update. The beta works fine so I will no longer update.

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
The Swype beta process is a joke. Because of their insistence on making the process as difficult as possible I don't update the beta everytime they come out with an update. The beta works fine so I will no longer update.
I think you're being a little hyperbolic. I had a problem with a beta update earlier this year; the fix was well-documented in the Swype forums.

The newest December beta has a new streamlined installer that holds your hand through the whole process, leaving no room for error this time around. I can't see how the beta process can go any smoother, really. Just be sure to delete "Swype" and "Swype Installer" before doing it.

Try it out, it fixed one huge bug I had and added a microphone button for me.

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
Have you checked Swype's own beta forums? I don't recall if a solution is posted there but it's worth checking. Off the top of my head it sounds like an install issue but the Swype install process has always been a bit quirky.

I haven't checked there, but i'm going to try and uninstall and reinstall and see if it works.

The newest December beta has a new streamlined installer that holds your hand through the whole process, leaving no room for error this time around. I can't see how the beta process can go any smoother, really. Just be sure to delete "Swype" and "Swype Installer" before doing it.

I'm going to try and reinstall it real quick and see if that helps. it works fine, just a PITA that it won't stick as the default keyboard after a reboot.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yes, the new installer works wonders (although I just opened the installer and it updated without having to uninstall it). When I got the OTA update to FRG83D Swype (at least the ability to swype) stopped working. I cleared the data on the Swype app, and then opened the installer. It said I needed to generate a licence and to press the "Generate License" button. I did, entered my email address and password and Swype was up and running a few seconds later. No need to uninstall and reinstall the app.

a6duchess

Reaction score
tell me what you did again. I tried clearing data.. went back to swype installer, didn't have to sign in.. no option to. It still won't work. I'm going crazy looking for answers.
UPDATE: went to swype forums and found the answer. I had to uninstall and reinstall swype itself and the installer. It finally works. Just mad that it lost all my words and info. But, happy to have it back...

Brandonovich

Reaction score
Have you tried going into settings>language and keyboard, and only checking the Swype keyboard?

bigmac44

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. I don't think the problem is with Swype. I uninstalled it in favor of Ultra Keyboard Trial version (which I think I like better). After I rebooted the phone, the Android POS keyboard is back as the default. I think it may be a bug introduced in Froyo 2.2.1? I have a Moto Droid 1. I didn't start having problems until I received that update.

Edit: Apparently Ultra Keyboard hasn't had any updates in 2 months. It seems like the developer has abandoned the product. Back to Swype until something better comes along

y0manda

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. Getting frustrated with swype. I've cleared data uninstalled reinstalled a few times.

Brandonovich

Reaction score
How often are y'all rebooting your phone? As good as swype is, it seems like a small inconvenience to select it when you reboot.