Suggestions?! Which phone to get!

JCalderon24

Reaction score
R.I.P to my Droid - Best phone I ever had. I have Verizon and I am in the market for a new phone - will have to pay full price regardless so price is not my main concern here. I want to hear peoples likes and dislikes on the phones they have. Am not sure if I should go with the droid 2, x, or something else. I REALLY like having an actual keyboard, but might be able to tackle an on screen one for the right phone. I use my phone for everything - I want something fast, good camera, and big screen. I was really interested in the Droid X until I found out it has no keyboard.... Heard it has HDMI - but I dont even know what that is so maybe not the phone for me! Anyone out there in love with their ohone Like I was? (I figure I should upgrade instead of going with the same phone seeing as how I have to pay full price anyways!)

I wont be buying until Jan.15 or later so please if you know of any new phones that may be coming out let me know! Thanks~!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I came from a Droid 1 and moved onto the Incredible. Been about two weeks since I've owned it and love it. Downside is the battery life, far inferior compared to my original Droid.

If you need a physical keyboard definitely check out the droid 2 or the new Pro(though the phone felt like a blackberry to me with its keys). I believe LG has another phone that has a physical keyboard, but I personally don't recommend LG (the rest of my family have env2 and horrible pieces of hardware imo).

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well if you're waiting till mid to late jan there will likely be a lot of options for you

tappin and a talkin

OP
J

JCalderon24

Reaction score
I havent heard any rumors on new phones - I did hear about the iphone coming to verizon but then again I have always been anti Iphone because of the whole apple vs. verizon thing.... does anybody have any info on upcoming phones? thanks!

harrellj

Reaction score
Most of the recent rumors have been more around tablets than phones. CES is next month and there should be several new devices announced. Another factor to think about is, when is your area scheduled to get LTE? If you have it now or will get it fairly shortly, you might want to wait for one of the compatible phones to be released.

Alternatively, there's the Nexus S being released in 8 days, which will be the first phone to have Gingerbread and will be a vanilla phone (just like the D1). It won't have a physical keyboard, but it looks fairly nice. Though, it is also non-VZW.

chrs

Reaction score
I think I saw a rumor on an upcoming HTC for verizon with a physical keyboard, a 4" screen, and a good camera. That could be the one for you. I went ahead with Droid X rather than wait for that because I was OK with on on screen keyboard given the big screen size, and Droid X has a better reputation for reception than HTC, and I live in a weak signal area. The Droid 2 keyboard seems really stiff to me, and I wouldn't have wanted to use it. But if you like the Droid 2 keyboard, go for it.

OP
J

JCalderon24

Reaction score
Okay I know what CES is now! lol and just found out from verizon I will get an upgrade! I'm itching to get a new phone NOW!! But still wanna hear the good bad and the ugly about peoples experiences with their phones! I heard something also about the droid, d2 and Dx havinf an end of life on March 2011?? Whats that about?

lbovill

Reaction score
I had an HTC Evo, which was a great phone, but I wanted both a keyboard and global roaming. Picked up the Droid 2 Global and will tell you that this is my favorite phone that I have owned (previous phones iphone original, iphone 3g, iphone 3gs, droid 1, htc evo). Personally I didn't like the sense ui interface and feel that motoblur is at least kept far enough out of the way that you can disable it easily and run your own customized interface without needing to install a full custom ROM. Take a look at the D2G, it can't hurt to look and the 1.2 ghz CPU is a plus as well.

My $0.02

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

xpezdj

Reaction score
If there's any way to wait, you should really wait.. couple great phones coming out Q1 you're going to be mad that you jumped into a 6 month old phone that's going to be EOL pretty soon..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

raven1911

Reaction score
I was just in the same boat a you two days ago. It came down between the X and D2. I loved my D1 and had it rooted and customized. I ended up choosing the D2 mainly because of the external keyboard. I use swype 99% of the time but I have encountered times where I really needed the external keyboard.

The X just seemed too big for one hand manipulation. I have regular sized hands but to get from the top of the screen to the bottom while holding the phone was an awkward stretch for me. I also carry it in my pocket and the X seemed a bit awkward in my pocket for its width and shape. Don't get me wrong, I loved the screen size but thought it was just beyond the right size for me. I don't regret my choice. I am loving the D2 so far.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

PaulQ

Reaction score
In one week, I had the Pro, X and Incredible.

Pro - great phone, all of the Android features with a physical keyboard, nice form factor (small and light); blackberry-like. However, keys are a bit on the small side.

X - greater phone, beautiful screen and easy to use because of it, definitely my favorite of the three

Incredible - nice size, clear screen, fast, does mail well.

The big warning -- The Pro and the X will not collect Exchange email correctly. If you need Exchange email, do not get the Pro or the X. They have yet to come up with a fix for that.

I miss the X. Very cool phone. You would have to decide if you mind the size though.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I have been stewing over the D2 vs. the DX for the past month, and reading reviews, posts and comparing specs. Went as far as cutting out a piece of plywood to see how big the DX felt if I put it in my pocket. I like a slip in leather case that I have for my D2, so the screen is protected from a harsh object hitting it, and the only one I could find for the DX is through Amazon for $28. Today was the 30th day since I got the D2 and had to decide if I wanted to return it for the DX. I even sketched out the size of the DX screen and superimposed the size of the D2 screen over it. Like the OP, I'm not very technically oriented, so a lot of the specs went over my head. I chose to stick with the D2 because: the DX feels a bit too big in my hand. I hold the phone mostly in my right hand and if I stretch out my thumb to touch the screen on the left side, I feel I will be squeezing the camera button all the time. I'm concerned that the physical buttons on the bottom of the X will be squeezed all the time when in the case. I like using the up down right left arrows on the D2 keyboard for moving the cursor around. It's a bit more difficult to touch the right spot on a line to insert corrections. The lack of symmetry on the DX (camera hump) annoys me. It was a tough call. It seems that most DX owners like their phones, and most D2 owners like theirs, and only a few switch. The final thing that sealed my decision is that the D2 I have works great, calls sound great and the only glitch I have run into is a garbled text message I sent out that I have not been able to replicate. So I'm leaving well enough alone and sticking with the D2.

gniss39

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. I am eligible for an upgrade as of yesterday and am considering the X, D2 and Samsung Fascinate. OP, have you considered the Samsung Fascinate? I have heard that there are currently problems with GPS and that Bing search is the default search. Hopefully the Galaxy S line will be getting 2.2 Froyo soon also. I think it will come down to going into Best Buy or a VZW store and playing with all the different phones. Worse comes to worse, there is the 30 day grace period that you can return the phone for another one. Anyone recently make decision between these 3 phones? If so, why! It's such a dilemma.. .too many good android phones on Big Red...