Stuck...

EVSP

Reaction score
Hey guys - I have a problem with my phone and I'm hoping you guys can help me.

I'm fairly familiar with rooting and ROMing and whatnot. I rooted my D1 and I did root my Rezound some time ago, but I did put it back to stock and it's S-On and "Relocked". I was browsing the site yesterday and noticed that my software was reeeeeeally old (4.0.3 I think?) so I found this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-rezound-general-discussions/246111-last-ota.html

So, I did what I thought would be a simple download of the newest PH98IMG.zip file, renaming it and placing it on my SD card, overwrote the current PH98IMG file on the card, and I thought I'd be good to go.. I did the battery pull, replace, held down the volume down button and power button to get to the HBOOT screen and it loads the new file and asks me if I want to update. I did, the phone went through it's processes and rebooted. Now my phone will boot but stops at the 4G LTE logo and does nothing...

I can't get to the SD card via computer at this point to try anything else, and if I do the battery pull/volume down button trick again, it just does the "do you want to update?" and I can't choose any other options... I tried every way I know how to access the SD card (even put it in another old device to see if I could access it) but it's not cooperating. :/

Do you guys have any suggestions? I'll be at work today so I can't download any files onto my work computer but I'll be forever thankful if you all have any ideas I can try when I get home.

Thank you in advance. :)

OP
EVSP

EVSP

Reaction score
I wish I could take a picture of it but this is what the screen looks like when I can get it into HBOOT:

***RELOCKED***
VIGOR PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.28.0000
RADIO-2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r
OpenDSP-v14.6.0.7708.00.0507
eMMC-boot
Sep 20 2012, 17:40:22

HBOOT

Parsing... [SD ZIP]
1 ADSP
2 BOOT
3 BOOTLOADER
4 MDM9K
5 MDM_CUST
6 RECOVERY
7 SBL3
8 TP
9 TRUST_ZONE
10 RADIO-V2
11 RADIO_CUST

Do you want to start update?
<VOL UP> Yes
<VOL DOWN> No

I can't get it to do anything before it immediately reads the PH98IMG.zip file - I can't get to any other commands before it goes through this as listed above. If I chose yes to the update option, it scans the files available in the PH98IMG file and asks me to reboot. When I do, I get stuck on the 4G LTE screen. If I chose not to "update", it'll ask to be rebooted again, then I'm back again at the 4G LTE screen. I'm at a loss.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Remove the SD card and put it in a PC and remove the PM98 file. You are actually loading a DOWNGRADE file which is being blocked. Then boot into hboot, then recovery and factory default and see if you can boot.

OP
EVSP

EVSP

Reaction score
Thank you.. I'll try that... Is there a difference between the PM98 file you mentioned ^^^ and the PH98IMG file I'm having issues with? I just want to make sure I'm on the same page and we're talking about the same file :) I'm not sure if I have a micro sd slot on my pc at home but hopefully I do. It's got about 4 sd slots but like I said, I'm not sure if any of them are that small. :/ Worth a shot though.

When I tried to load the sd card into another device (I connected my Xoom to my computer, then opened the SD card contents from the PC) to access it, I was able to open the files on it and locate the PH98IMG file there but I was unable to move, delete, or add any additional files to the SD card. When I tried to mess with it, it gave me an error message that said something along the lines of "Unable to complete action - device has been removed or disconnected" - I don't remember the exact verbage but nothing was removed or disconnected at that point... I tried it several times and to no avail. I could still open all my pictures and music from the SD card from my PC but that darn file was uncrackable.

That's all I know at this point :/

acejavelin

Reaction score
There is no PH98IMG file (or RUU) for the current ROM, you were already on the latest version, trying to flash any other RUU file will cause the system to fail.

I would just format the SD Card as FAT32 and start over. Make sure the Write Protect switch isn't enabled on the side of the card or adapter if it has one. You may also have a bad SD card.

Your best bet honestly would be to unlock again, then boot recovery via fastboot and flash this ROM: [ROM] OTA-Global-Stock-4.05.605.14 710RD-Rooted 5/1/13 - xda-developers to verify the operation of all hardware. It is the stock ROM, just rooted, and the closest you will get to being completely stock until an RUU file for 4.5.605.14 is available.

OP
EVSP

EVSP

Reaction score
There is no PH98IMG file (or RUU) for the current ROM, you were already on the latest version, trying to flash any other RUU file will cause the system to fail.

I would just format the SD Card as FAT32 and start over. Make sure the Write Protect switch isn't enabled on the side of the card or adapter if it has one. You may also have a bad SD card.

Your best bet honestly would be to unlock again, then boot recovery via fastboot and flash this ROM: [ROM] OTA-Global-Stock-4.05.605.14 710RD-Rooted 5/1/13 - xda-developers to verify the operation of all hardware. It is the stock ROM, just rooted, and the closest you will get to being completely stock until an RUU file for 4.5.605.14 is available.

Okay, I'll try that. Thank you.. My only question now - is there a way to format the SD card if my computer doesn't have a slot for that small of a card? If it doesn't should I try wiping the card from another device?

What a headache. Thank you for all your help, ace. :)

jrredho

Reaction score

Wait a sec: Aren't the radio versions showing that he has the firmware for the old "Global Leak"? If that's the case, then updating to the latest ROM ain't going to work without first updating to latest firmware.

What the OP's scenario reminds me of, is that updating using the PH98IMG file method has it's drawbacks...

Good luck to you, OP!

cheers,
john

acejavelin

Reaction score
Wait a sec: Aren't the radio versions showing that he has the firmware for the old "Global Leak"? If that's the case, then updating to the latest ROM ain't going to work without first updating to latest firmware.

What the OP's scenario reminds me of, is that updating using the PH98IMG file method has it's drawbacks...

Good luck to you, OP!

cheers,
john
No, the correct HBoot is 2.28 and the latest radio versions are 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r... this is for software release 4.5.605.14, just checked my bone stock work Rezound.

jrredho

Reaction score
No, the correct HBoot is 2.28 and the latest radio versions are 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r... this is for software release 4.5.605.14, just checked my bone stock work Rezound.

Yeah, it's been a while since I looked at my bootloader screen. Sorry.

To the OP: You pointed out a thread that you followed, but I gave very specific instructions on how to go through the entire update process in Post #9 there. You did not follow those steps, though, so it makes me wonder what process you followed. Can you share that with us?

Btw, if it were me, I would not format my sd card just because I have a rogue PH98IMG.zip file on it.

cheers,
john

acejavelin

Reaction score
When I tried to load the sd card into another device (I connected my Xoom to my computer, then opened the SD card contents from the PC) to access it, I was able to open the files on it and locate the PH98IMG file there but I was unable to move, delete, or add any additional files to the SD card. When I tried to mess with it, it gave me an error message that said something along the lines of "Unable to complete action - device has been removed or disconnected" - I don't remember the exact verbage but nothing was removed or disconnected at that point... I tried it several times and to no avail. I could still open all my pictures and music from the SD card from my PC but that darn file was uncrackable.

Btw, if it were me, I would not format my sd card just because I have a rogue PH98IMG.zip file on it.

Yes, I wouldn't either, but there is obviously more going on here than jut a rogue file.

Back to the OP. You can get a Standard SD card adapter for a MicroSD card cheap... really cheap, like $0.99 including shipping (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-SD-Tr...ory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item46133b1957). You are on current radios and hboot, why are you trying to go through all this anyway? Why not just format the SD card, copy over Infection/Tron/PAC-Man/LiquidSmooth or something else that is fairly current and just flash it in and be done? Is there a specific reason you want to go back to stock?

OP
EVSP

EVSP

Reaction score
Yes, I wouldn't either, but there is obviously more going on here than jut a rogue file.

Back to the OP. You can get a Standard SD card adapter for a MicroSD card cheap... really cheap, like $0.99 including shipping (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-SD-Tr...ory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item46133b1957). You are on current radios and hboot, why are you trying to go through all this anyway? Why not just format the SD card, copy over Infection/Tron/PAC-Man/LiquidSmooth or something else that is fairly current and just flash it in and be done? Is there a specific reason you want to go back to stock?

I was already back to stock when I did this goof up.. Reason being that I didn't want to mess with roms and the like again like I had with my D1... I was happy with stock as it was, go figure. I just did it because I noticed my software version was older and I wanted to update it.

Anyway, thank you all for your help. Everything is back to normal now. I appreciate it very much!! :D

OP
EVSP

EVSP

Reaction score
Excellent! If you don't mind, would you tell us what you had to do to get up and running again?

cheers,
john

Not real sure... My brother in law said he wanted a crack at it while I was at work so ... He said its working again but it'll be sometime this weekend before I can get it back. Thanks John! :)