Stuck in Bootloader, err: A5,70,39,00,27

hunterfett

Reaction score
Okay guys, bit of an issue.

As the title says, I'm stuck in the bootloader. Version 30.01, and I see err: A5,70,39,00,27. Everything else says it's fine. All the guides I've looked up to this point tell me to do a factory reset. This is all fine and dandy, except I can't seem to boot in recovery mode.

If I bricked my phone, I will be most upset. However, I have utmost faith in you guys to help me solve my problem.

The quick backstory is that I've been rooted about since the root was discovered. I've flashed a few custom roms, and the most recent one was ApeX. It was all going well until I couldn't get media. The problem, apparently, was that I started from the wrong version. The first sbf flash went well, except I once again flashed to the wrong version. I figured it wasn't a problem, downloaded the proper version, only now...

Here I am. I currently have the battery pulled. I'll try to get to factory reset again in a moment, after I post, but if it fails, I'm going to try flashing the "good" sbf files I can fund until you guys come up with a good solution for me. Please help!:heart:

UPDATE:Well Sugar Honey Iced Tea.

I managed to make some backwards progress. Apparently, I semi-bricked at this point. I tried to SBF back to 2.1, figuring factory settings would be a good idea since that's my goal at the moment. Unfortunately, this leads to something rather important missing. Google, however, tells me via xda I need to SBF one more time and I should be okay...

I'll update this once more once I make some other kind of progress. Hopefully the forward kind.

UPDATEx2: So. I think I'm boned. I'm quite stuck here. Err:A5, 70, 70, 00, 1F. No flashing works for me. Using RSD 4.8, trying to flash what I've been told to by xda, but I'm now seeing posts that say I'm bricked no matter what. Most of these are from September, but I'm hoping against hope that one of you unbelievably brilliant and helpful folks has figured something out. I'm going to try for another little bit before I truly give up and go to VZW, but I don't look forward to that at all.

Someone? Anyone?

Last edited:

just4747

Reaction score
What Android version were you on and what did you SBF to?
If you tried to use an SBF file lower than the current OS you were on, then it will semi-brick like that.

If you were on 2.2+ and tried to SBF to a lower one like 2.1, then it will probably brick like this. In that case, you can try to SBF to 2.3.320 like I did and then you are good to go and have to then use the System SBF for 2.3.340 after that.

Let me know as I didn't have all your info..

EDIT:
Here's .320 http://www.droid-life.com/2010/11/22/droid-x-2-2-1-leaks-updates-system-to-2-3-20/
and Here's .340 for after that: http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/09/droid-x-2-3-340-system-sbf-released-for-2-3-320-leak-users/

OP
H

hunterfett

Reaction score
I was on 2.2+ (not sure which) and did try to go back to 2.1. I'll see if I can't get the SBF you're talking about and see what it does for me. I'm currently trying to flash something else, but I don't think it's gonna work... Lemme see what your offer does.

I love you. You saved me. I'm back in Droid, version 2.3.15. Life saver. :heart::heart::heart:

Last edited:

just4747

Reaction score
I was on 2.2+ (not sure which) and did try to go back to 2.1. I'll see if I can't get the SBF you're talking about and see what it does for me. I'm currently trying to flash something else, but I don't think it's gonna work... Lemme see what your offer does.

Well when I messed up just recently, I had the new official 2.2.1 and tried to SBF back to 2.2, and that indeed messed up my phone and I was stuck at bootloader. I did what I mentioned above after reading about it and voila it worked. I believe since you are on 2.2, you can use the .320 System SBF
(which says *Should work with ANY 2.2 ROM) and then you will be in a working .320 system, and you can go right to SBFing the System SBF for .340 and be totally updated to the newest eveything that Verizon customers have OTA updated to.

Let me know what happens.

OP
H

hunterfett

Reaction score
It worked. Now the question is, am I ballsy enough to re-root and try to flash the right ROM this time?

just4747

Reaction score
It worked. Now the question is, am I ballsy enough to re-root and try to flash the right ROM this time?

So you're on .340 now?? If so, that was fast, since flashing two SBFs would take a while. Don't stay on .320 if you're on that, go to .340 before anything else.

To root, just use the z4root that everyone's using now. Two times that I've used it now, it's tried to do the exploit for anywhere from 5-10 minutes without moving, but it always works even if you just hit "back" after a while and go back into the app again. Then you can nandroid backup and then flash Apex (also what I am on). You can only flash the newest Apex while being on 2.2.1 anyway so update all the way to .340!

OP
H

hunterfett

Reaction score
I'm actually on 2.3.15. This was the start of my issues in the first place. Fab was kind enough to give us unlucky souls a version of apex to work with, but it doesn't seem as pretty as 1.3.0. Flashing down from 2.3.15 to 2.2.340 is not something I am looking forward to trying at this moment. Suggestions?

just4747

Reaction score
I'm actually on 2.3.15. This was the start of my issues in the first place. Fab was kind enough to give us unlucky souls a version of apex to work with, but it doesn't seem as pretty as 1.3.0. Flashing down from 2.3.15 to 2.2.340 is not something I am looking forward to trying at this moment. Suggestions?

2.2.340?? No you'll be flashing UP to 2.3.320 and then UP again to 2.3.340...you are not downgrading anything. Trust me, do it and get Apex 1.3.0

OP
H

hunterfett

Reaction score
I did a little more forum browsing and found out that I just had to factory reset to fix all my problems. This is definitely not an issue, as I've pretty much given up on recovering the data I had before.

Either way, thanks much, my friend. I really appreciate the help. :-D

just4747

Reaction score
I did a little more forum browsing and found out that I just had to factory reset to fix all my problems. This is definitely not an issue, as I've pretty much given up on recovering the data I had before.

Either way, thanks much, my friend. I really appreciate the help. :-D

Yeah but thought you were stuck in bootloader? You can't even get to factory reset from there. But either way you should update to the newest, 340 and root and get the newest Apex...why not? Just get backups of every step, that's all.

OP
H

hunterfett

Reaction score
I was stuck in bootloader. I guess I'm tired and not explaining my steps well. Or at all.

Your first bit of advice got me out of bootloader in a matter of moments. From there, I was in an unrooted version of 2.3.15. After rooting and unrooting a few times, trying to figure out what to do next, I factory reset in an attempt to get my OTA update. That has just happened, and I now have a lovely DROID eye staring at me as .340 loads up on my phone. From here, I will root, flash ApeX, and have the phone I have been dreaming of for the past few hours.

Once more, thank you. :)

just4747

Reaction score
I was stuck in bootloader. I guess I'm tired and not explaining my steps well. Or at all.

Your first bit of advice got me out of bootloader in a matter of moments. From there, I was in an unrooted version of 2.3.15. After rooting and unrooting a few times, trying to figure out what to do next, I factory reset in an attempt to get my OTA update. That has just happened, and I now have a lovely DROID eye staring at me as .340 loads up on my phone. From here, I will root, flash ApeX, and have the phone I have been dreaming of for the past few hours.

Once more, thank you. :)

Excellent, I see. You're welcome and good luck! Apex with ADW launcher and Gingerbread theme is great so far :) Barely even slows down with Live Wallpapers!

chikibabe

Reaction score
quick question, if i flash the 2.3.320, can i do OTA .340 or do i have to use the sbf to .340?? and if i use the sbf .340, is that the official ota one? (just so i'll know to make a nandroid backup)

Well when I messed up just recently, I had the new official 2.2.1 and tried to SBF back to 2.2, and that indeed messed up my phone and I was stuck at bootloader. I did what I mentioned above after reading about it and voila it worked. I believe since you are on 2.2, you can use the .320 System SBF
(which says *Should work with ANY 2.2 ROM) and then you will be in a working .320 system, and you can go right to SBFing the System SBF for .340 and be totally updated to the newest eveything that Verizon customers have OTA updated to.

Let me know what happens.

chikibabe

Reaction score
so, i've flashed .340, is this the official .340? If any future ota updates come through, i can just flash back to this .340 from the link given in the first page and then go through with my ota update no matter what ROM i'm on??