Strange touchscreen trouble

sumdude

Reaction score
I'm having a very perplexing issue with my 6-mo. old Verizon Droid.

Just after the recent OTA upgrade to Android v2.1 the touch screen has become unresponsive only on the far right edge. It is just an icon's width from the top to the bottom of the screen and affects the search icon on the very bottom of the screen as well.

As you can imagine this causes a huge headache. When using the Droid, I quite often must rotate to horizontal and use the keyboard. This sucks for activating the speakerphone and it pretty much kills the use of the on-screen keyboard. More suxors, since the hardware keyboard is a real pooch too.

I have a ton of apps installed (139MB of app memory available), so the next step may well be doing a fresh backup of the apps, uninstall all of 'em and add them back in one at a time until I isolate the offender. Of course, uninstalling the apps might not fix the issue, which will probably leave me with a trip to the Verizon store to swap phones (which I really, REALLY don't want to do!).

I don't have any special keyboard apps running and I use Advanced Task Killer several times a day to keep any errant stuff from sucking my battery. I have a screen protector in place that has been on the phone since day one. It works fine on the rest of the screen and worked fine on the dead part up until the recent OTA upgrade. I carry my phone in a custom-made leather belt pouch and subsequently it has taken very little abuse.

I have exhausted most of the other forms of research to see if I might have a common issue (which doesn't appear to be the case):mad: So, if I don't find some other poor schlubs like me that have a found a fix, I guess I'm destined for new hardware... Ugh! :icon_evil:

OP
S

sumdude

Reaction score
Well, after backing up all my stuff I did a factory reset.. same dead patch on the screen. This morning I bit the bullet and exchanged @ the nearby VZW office.

I now get to spend several days restoring my apps and preferences to their previous states... :icon_evil:

Oh well, at least I don't have to re-type in my entire address book!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, after backing up all my stuff I did a factory reset.. same dead patch on the screen. This morning I bit the bullet and exchanged @ the nearby VZW office.

I now get to spend several days restoring my apps and preferences to their previous states... :icon_evil:

Well the good news is your paid apps will still be waiting for you in your downloads. When you go to restore the apps just do it on an "as needed" basis that way you won't be racking your brain out trying to remember what you had. :)

OP
S

sumdude

Reaction score

Well the good news is your paid apps will still be waiting for you in your downloads. When you go to restore the apps just do it on an "as needed" basis that way you won't be racking your brain out trying to remember what you had. :)
I also backed up my apps to the sdcard, so there's really no guesswork involved.. just time.. lots of time.. :mad: