strange speaker issue

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
Today my speaker just stopped working. I can't hear the caller unless I turn on speakerphone. If I receive a call I can hear the ringtone but when i answer I have to turn on speakerphone to hear the caller. I did notice that the ringtone volume is lower than i'm used to hearing it. Additionally I can hear my notification for when I receive an e-mail but not my notification for when I receive a text msg. Both these tones had been working fine for months.

If I try and play music nothing comes out of the speaker. If I set an alarm I get no sound from the speaker. I can get sound through my headphones and my bluetooth head set.

I have tried a simulated battery pull several times and I started in safe mode and did a simulated battery pull from there with no luck.
I have not installed or updated any apps in a few days so I don't think that's the cause. The phone is stock and not rooted.

Any Ideas?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Today my speaker just stopped working. I can't hear the caller unless I turn on speakerphone. If I receive a call I can hear the ringtone but when i answer I have to turn on speakerphone to hear the caller. I did notice that the ringtone volume is lower than i'm used to hearing it. Additionally I can hear my notification for when I receive an e-mail but not my notification for when I receive a text msg. Both these tones had been working fine for months.

If I try and play music nothing comes out of the speaker. If I set an alarm I get no sound from the speaker. I can get sound through my headphones and my bluetooth head set.

I have tried a simulated battery pull several times and I started in safe mode and did a simulated battery pull from there with no luck.
I have not installed or updated any apps in a few days so I don't think that's the cause. The phone is stock and not rooted.

Any Ideas?

The fact that it reproduces while in Safe mode can pretty much rule out an app conflict. When you say "speaker", let's clarify. You mention you couldn't hear callers (this is from the front "earpiece"), unless you turned on "speakerphone" (which comes out of the speaker on the back of the phone). However you then say that you don't hear music out of the "speaker" (which also comes out of the back), so this is contradictory, meaning the speaker on the back works sometimes and not others. Do you ever hear anything out of the "earpiece" (speaker on the front in the opening of the glass)?

I would consider the good ole' Factory reset, and of course if that doesn't fix it, time to replace.

Good luck! ;)

OP
brucin

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
The fact that it reproduces while in Safe mode can pretty much rule out an app conflict. When you say "speaker", let's clarify. You mention you couldn't hear callers (this is from the front "earpiece"), unless you turned on "speakerphone" (which comes out of the speaker on the back of the phone). However you then say that you don't hear music out of the "speaker" (which also comes out of the back), so this is contradictory, meaning the speaker on the back works sometimes and not others. Do you ever hear anything out of the "earpiece" (speaker on the front in the opening of the glass)?

I would consider the good ole' Factory reset, and of course if that doesn't fix it, time to replace.

Good luck! ;)

I could not hear anything from the earpiece but no music from the speaker. What's really bizarre is I tried to stream a movie and the speaker worked. I then got a phone call and the earpiece was working again. I'm glad it's working again but would like to know what went wrong in the first place.

keepitsimple

Reaction score
Me too with a bad mic

:blink:

Any Ideas?

No new ideas just saying callers cannot hear me unless I switch to speakerphone. My ideas list is to tap into this forum too see if anyone might have a clue.

I have done what you tried. Up front. Please omit ideas of a soft or hard reset. That seems to be the go to, fix all, which really does not help in many cases especially an intermittent issue.

Also on my 2nd replacement phone. So much for the inspection, factory new,yadayada. Some poor sod probably inherited the issues from the other two phones I returned. What's up with that program?

Bottom line is I just answer in speaker phone and if need be plug my earphones with a mic. if I want a private conversation.

Hopefully someone will step up with a fix other than soft reset, FDR, or blaming our apps.

OP
brucin

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I'm not sure what fixed mine. Like I said I tried streaming a movie from Netflix and everything started working again and the issue never resurfaced. Good luck.

cris

Reaction score
i would do a factory reset, go to settings>privacy> factory data reset, be sure to run a back up first and remove for sd card!

moset

Reaction score
There is a pretty common problem with the rear speaker with the physical internal connection. It is intermittent and temporarily solved by pressing firmly on the back of the cover over the speaker slot.
This doesn't seem to be your problem however. I guess it's possible that the front speaker could have a similar connection issue.
Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2