Sound not working at all

mrbofus

Reaction score
I noticed this morning that I received some e-mails and didn't hear the notification sound. I then tried changing my ringer and noticed none of them were playing. I then tried playing a video and there was no sound either.

Under Settings -> Sound -> Volume, the volume settings for Ringtone, Media, and Alarm are all up all the way. The phone is not on silent. I also tried restarting the phone, plugging headphones in and taking them out, putting the phone on silent and then back to normal, all to no avail.

When I plug in headphones, I can hear sound through the headphones, and when I make a call, the earpiece works fine, but speakerphone does not, so it seems like the speaker on the phone itself is broken.

Oh, I should also mention that I haven't rooted my phone or anything like that and the apps I've installed shouldn't affect sound (Yelp, Facebook, Flixster, IMDB, USA Today, Engadget, etc...).

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Is there a setting that I am missing? Or is this a hardware issue?

Last edited:

bullswife98

Reaction score
Did you receive an ota update? Hope its not a bug... I have not received the update but, mine is working fine ATM.

Sent from my Rooted Razr sliced thin! :)

OP
M

mrbofus

Reaction score
Not to my knowledge; no notification of any update was sent to my phone. Is there an OTA update out right now?

bullswife98

Reaction score
Yeah,its comming in waves though. Will take a few days. It is a maintenance update. Its all over these forums. As for your speaker issue not sure mine functions fine. Maybe someone else may know more about it. Sorry, good luck hope it resolves for you.

Sent from my Rooted Razr sliced thin! :)

OP
M

mrbofus

Reaction score
OK, just installed the update. Unfortunately, that didn't fix it. Which was kind of expected, since it seemed like a hardware problem anyways. :frown:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Maybe your headphone jack is stuck. Try inserting and then removing the headphones a couple of times.

fellers

Reaction score
Well I fixed the problem by DL'ing the app MX3 Video player and switching the audio decoder to S/W decoding

OP
M

mrbofus

Reaction score
Maybe your headphone jack is stuck. Try inserting and then removing the headphones a couple of times.

In my original post, I only mentioned doing it once, but I have tried it multiple times, to no avail. The weird part is the speaker was working fine and just stopped working one day, despite the fact that I had never plugged in headphones before. The only time I've ever plugged in headphones was to see if the jack was working, after the speaker stopped working.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

OP
M

mrbofus

Reaction score
OK, so this might sound crazy, but based on a similar thread on the Apple Discussion Forums regarding the iPhone being stuck in headset mode, I put my RAZR in the freezer for a few minutes, and to my surprise, the sound started working again! But, it only starts working for about 30 seconds before it stops working again.

So clearly, it is some sort of hardware issue, since the cold is causing something to contract, which then presumably causes the circuit to not complete, re-enabling the speaker. But once the phone comes back to room temperature, something expands, completing a circuit, causing the phone to think a headphone is plugged in.

The question now is, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

jrbmed08

Reaction score
I have a very similar problem, and it started in the middle of a call. Ringtones and notifications work, but no other sounds work (although curiously they come back for a few seconds occasionally). During calls, neither the microphone nor the earpiece work, but I can talk on Bluetooth or speakerphone. I've been looking all over for a solution...did a factory reset, got a new SIM card, plugged and unplugged headphones a few times, and nothing worked. I think we just got a few duds with some sort of loose connection. I'll be exchanging my phone for a new one as soon as Costco gets them back in stock, but until then I'm outta luck.

Oh, and I'm not entirely convinced it's a headphone issue. The phone definitely recognizes when I plug in headphones by starting Google music and responds to pulling them out by stopping the song, but I still don't have any sound when I unplug the headphones. So it seems to "know" when I really have headphones plugged in and when I take them out, but I can't get the sounds to start working again. I also wasn't using a headset when the problem started.

Last edited:
OP
M

mrbofus

Reaction score
I have noticed that with mine, the sound will randomly start working for about half a day, but only every few days. It looks like I will have to get a hardware replacement. *sigh*

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Have you tried a reset?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

jrbmed08

Reaction score
Oh, I just looked at this forum and realized you're all talking about the RAZR. Mine is a Galaxy Nexus. Sorry! I Googled things like "Galaxy Nexus sound not working" and this was one of the threads that came up. So feel free to disregard my post.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
No worries, but have you tried a reset?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

AXEKICK2YODOME

Reaction score
Wow I have this exact problem and when I took it up to a Verizon store it seemed to be a hardware issue...the only way is to take your phone to a corporate store and get it replaced using your warranty apparently

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums