Storage card - this is driving me nuts

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I just had to reformat my SD card in my edge...so far its acting better..but music and pics and files where disappearing and showing as a corrupt file..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I just had to reformat my SD card in my edge...so far its acting better..but music and pics and files where disappearing and showing as a corrupt file..

Samsung did it to try and trick you into buying a new phone. It happened around the time of the S6 Plus/Note 5 release I'm betting :cool:

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Yes. That's one of the first things I did after copying my music and photos to the computer. Didn't help.

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
No. They were greyed out.

I had this problem start out of the blue on me too. Although I now think it was the result of a lot of google app updates. A ton of apps now no longer allow you to move them to SD storage or if they do they only move like 2% of the data to the SD card.

If s5 ever gets Marshmallow it may fix this problem. M allows the SD card to be treated as a partition of the Device storage.

I have all my media on my SD card but Google Music does weird stuff like redownloads the music to the device storage.

My camera also keeps resetting itself to store on the Device rather than the SD card & I have to manually move the files. I lost a lot of downloads and other things that were on the SD card that either disappeared or got corrupted.

I was always a huge fan of expandable memory and using the micro SD slot but after I had this problem and I started looking into it more I have converted. I am leaving the SD card behind and using all device storage from now on.

The fastest SD card is still an SD card. It is never going to compare to SSD.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have all my media on my SD card but Google Music does weird stuff like redownloads the music to the device storage.

My camera also keeps resetting itself to store on the Device rather than the SD card & I have to manually move the files. I lost a lot of downloads and other things that were on the SD card that either disappeared or got corrupted.
Sounds like, if you're still using an sd card, you might have a card that's going bad, or even just a bad connection with the card.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Yes I think it was the card. I haven't had any problems at all since I switched it out with a 64gb card.