Storage card - this is driving me nuts

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I got a huge storage card for my GS5 because I have lots of music on it a lots of apps and utilities and other fun stuff. I started to download an app from the store (can't remember which one and it doesn't matter) and got a popup window saying there wasn't enough space on my phone.

Well, little did that popup know, but i have tons of space...just not space for downloads. So I proceed to use a utility to "move" a dozen or so of the largest apps I have to the storage card (128 gig) and go back to the store and download the app successfully
BUT and here's the big BUT..the icons for ever app I "moved" are all the same and the app is no longer installed. I didn't know moving the app meant destroying so I couldn't use it. So I spent the last two hours restoring all of it (thank you "MyBackup") and reinstalling it all

What's wrong with this pictuire. What am I doing wrong here?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Most apps will not work unless they are installed on the device storage. There was a time where it was not a problem but since the OS update to gingerbread or ice cream sandwich, that all changed.

Best recommendation is to make sure all your pictures, videos, music, web downloads, documents, etc are stored on your external sd card. In addition, any apps that have a backup & restore feature (ie. MyBackup) set them to backup to your sd card and move their backup files to your ext SD card.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I wondered if the backup chip is defective in some way. Once in a while, I'd take a picture and the thumbnail would be black but if you click it, you could see the picture.

Isn't there a way to tell a download to install on the card instead of internal?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Should be in camera settings where you can tell it to save photos to the external SD card.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm thinking that the S5 has to be the same (or similar) as the Samsung Note 4. In the N4, to get to that setting open the stock camera app, go to settings (looks like a gear), click the three dots to expand the settings menu, select storage location.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
tphkTKD.jpg

As Tis mentioned, it's there. You'll need to scroll down to find it.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Ah you're right. I just saw that. But mine was already set to storage card (apparently by default).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The camera app automatically sets itself to save pictures to the sd card if there's one present. It knows.

As for apps not working, that's hit or miss, though I've personally run some apps off of the sd card in my Note 4 with no issue. Check the class of your card. Higher number means faster read/write speed. 10 is the best. That can make a difference. Could also be an issue with a corrupt card if it's deleting thumbnails and not showing apps. I had a card go bad that I had apps installed on and they'd all be a gray icon and say that the app wasn't installed when I tapped on it.

I just checked on my Note 4 and I currently only have one game installed on my sd card, Smash Hit. I opened it up and was able to start playing with no issue.

The S5 should be compatible with a 128GB card, so I doubt that's the issue. What brand is your card, and did you buy it new when you got the phone?

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
It's a Samsung card. I bought it from Amazon. But I just bought a Samsung EVO 64gb card (class 10) in case the 128gb card is no good.

But my question is, how to have apps installed on the card instead of internally??

The reason I moved apps to the card to begin with was because I was trying to download something and got a popup saying there wasn't enough room internally.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When I move apps to the sd card on my Note 4, I do so in the main settings under Applications. There are those utilities like you mentioned, but I prefer to do it one by one using the tools already on the phone.

Do the apps that show as not installed show up in that settings screen?

I would at least try reformatting the card that seems to be having issues and see if that makes any difference. Obviously, you'll want to copy anything you want to keep off of it first. If that doesn't work, I'd pop in that other card and see how you fair. If the 64GB card doesn't seem to have any of the same issues, I'd chalk it up to a defective card.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Outstanding. It must've been the 128gb chip. No good. I put in the 64 gb chip and moved several of the large apps to the new card and they were still installed and working fine. Damned shame. I paid almost $80 for that big chip. Oh well. All's well that ends well.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yes, clearly the device supports 128GB cards so either the card needs to be reformatted or it seems it may be defective in some way, IMHO.
There should be no differentiation netted the two cards from the phone's perspective.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yes, clearly the device supports 128GB cards so either the card needs to be reformatted or it seems it may be defective in some way, IMHO.
There should be no differentiation netted the two cards from the phone's perspective.
I'd go with a reformat before deciding that an $80 anything just doesn't work.