Stock apps in market?

celtic11

Reaction score
After I got my Droid I started to notice apps popping up in the Market that were stock apps on my phone (YouTube, Google Search, GMail, Facebook...etc). At first I downloaded them when I saw them pop up with the thinking that the market wouldn't let me know if there was an update available for the stock apps on the phone, but if I went ahead and downloaded them then it would. That theory seems to be working for the most part but now I'm running into a problem where I get low on phone memory quite often. Normally I go through and trim out some apps that I don't really need but now its starting to get to the point where I really would like to keep most of them that I currently have. So my question is are the apps I downloaded that were already installed on the phone taking up extra space that could be valuable, and if I do delete them, will I be stuck with the same version that is installed on the phone? Sorry if this has been addressed in the past, just trying to free up some memory.

Also, I do have apps 2 sd and move over everything that I possibly can.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications - in there it should differentiate between "Downloaded" and "All"
Obviously, stick to deleting the ones in the downloaded list.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
hello, i have never really thought they were necessary unless you rooted and chaned roms then discovered they were not on that particular rom. i believe they really dont need to be downloaded unless they are missing off the phone. those apps are prolly in the market for root users who install roms and have those apps going missing

OP
celtic11

celtic11

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I tried looking at the manage applications thing and one thing I noticed was that the ones I've downloaded that were also stock apps give me the option to uninstall updates but not uninstall completely. I think ill hold onto them for now so I can keep the updated versions. Thanks again.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App