Staples Confirms Latest Victim of Hacking with Over 1 Million Credit & Debit Cards Stolen

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
staples-we-fix-computers.jpg

All of the attention has been focused on the recent Sony hack which has severely damaged the company's reputation and cost them untold millions of dollars. However, Sony is just one in a string of major hack attacks over the past several years, which included other notable companies like Target and Home Depot. We can now add Staples to that list of targets from the black hats of the world.

Staples just confirmed on Friday that their internal database was hacked and 1.16 million credit cards and debit cards were stolen. Here's a quote with more of the details,

“Based on its investigation, Staples believes that malware may have allowed access to some transaction data at affected stores, including cardholder names, payment card numbers, expiration dates, and card verification codes,” the company said in a statement. “At 113 stores, the malware may have allowed access to this data for purchases made from August 10, 2014 through September 16, 2014. At two stores, the malware may have allowed access to data from purchases made from July 20, 2014 through September 16, 2014.”

Additionally, cards connected to four other stores in Manhattan, New York, have been used for fraudulent payments, from April through September 14.

Staples said that it’s offering “free identity protection services, including credit monitoring, identity theft insurance, and a free credit report, to customers who used a payment card at any of the affected stores during the relevant time periods.”

It's getting scary how often this is happening now. Perhaps the governments of the world should consider increasing their law enforcement budgets for fighting cyber-terrorism...

Source: BGR

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Cyber crime is the new western Frontier.. Pretty much lawless.. What laws there are, are difficult to have enforced.. I definitely think that they need to step up in cyber space..

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I swear if I have to change all my cards again and all my setup payments :mad:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I guess I'm safe. My only Staples CC purchase this year was made on black friday.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I took to using Google wallet for just this reason

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I totally agree with @94lt1 "Cyber crime is the new western Frontier.. Pretty much lawless.. What laws there are, are difficult to have enforced." I do think the timing of Staples releasing this information is a little fishy though. If the hack stole data from July - September, why wait until December 21st to release the news? I understand it takes time to process everything and figure out exactly what happened and what data was stolen. But did they intentionally wait until after Black Friday and the busy Christmas shopping season to release this information? I certainly hope not & have nothing personal against Staples (I have an "Easy button" in my office!), but that was one of my first thoughts when I read about this yesterday.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I totally agree with @94lt1 "Cyber crime is the new western Frontier.. Pretty much lawless.. What laws there are, are difficult to have enforced." I do think the timing of Staples releasing this information is a little fishy though. If the hack stole data from July - September, why wait until December 21st to release the news? I understand it takes time to process everything and figure out exactly what happened and what data was stolen. But did they intentionally wait until after Black Friday and the busy Christmas shopping season to release this information? I certainly hope not & have nothing personal against Staples (I have an "Easy button" in my office!), but that was one of my first thoughts when I read about this yesterday.

Actually they (Staples) released a statement a couple months ago. I think this is just an update, or this particular news site is just now reporting it.

S5 tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Actually they (Staples) released a statement a couple months ago. I think this is just an update, or this particular news site is just now reporting it.

S5 tap'n
That would make more sense, I must have missed the original news back in Sep - Oct. I read about it for the first time yesterday on Google News. I don't have a Staples account, but have many others (like most people these days) and get so tired of constantly changing passwords everywhere because of these hacks! Life in the modern "wild west"!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is an update with the actual number of credit/debit cards stolen. The earlier story didn't reveal the extent of the hack.